Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

New Snow Old tree
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 03/08/18 at 12:21 pm EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Nick Bristol on 03/09/18 at 7:27 pm EST

Early this week we had one of the nicest snowfalls of our winter season so far. I headed into the river bottoms to see if I could come up with a picture I might like. It was wonderful but as always a hard area for finding a nice composition. There are so many downed trees and clutter that it can make it quite difficult, but also a challenge that I seem to enjoy. Lots of ice that was easy to break through so it was kind of tough going but so beautiful as well. I saw a couple of Bald Eagles setting in the trees watching me and also listened to the sounds of the Sandhill Cranes that have returned for spring. I really enjoy hearing the sound of those cranes. Thanks for any thoughts.
Canon 5DMK4, 24-105L @32mm, ISO 100, F/16 and 1/20 sec.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 03/08/18 at 6:27 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

I feel the bleakness of the snowfall in this one.  Possibly due to the monochrome processing and the downward sweep of the branch.  Well done.  Might crop or clone at the bottom to remove the small twig area.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 03/08/18 at 8:21 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

This is superb, Nick - pure art.  Your composition is so well crafted here, and your processing spot-on.  This is what nature photography is all about - the quest for the perfect shot.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/09/18 at 07:09 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I am on the fence about this one, Nick. I am not sure exactly what is throwing me off. I think it is the nice trunk on the right, the branches on the left, leaving a sizable void in the middle. I find myself looking at the middle quite a bit. I will ponder it a bit more.  

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 03/09/18 at 07:49 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Nick, this tree has a wonderful graphic shape, its a nice moody winter scene. As you said, finding good comps in place like this can be difficult, but I think you did pretty well here. My suggestion would be to try to emphasize the shape of the tree even more. Very slight crops from the bottom, and possibly from the top, would make the tree appear larger in the frame. I also think adding a vignette (especially to the sky) would place more emphasis on the tree.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 03/09/18 at 12:57 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Love the gentle arch of the tree framed between the vertical trunks.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/09/18 at 4:09 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I find this to be a sad image. It's about aging, decrepitude, or illness. Life is tough. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/09/18 at 7:40 pm EST    

Thank you for giving me your thoughts on this. They are pretty interesting to read and I appreciate getting them. Kind of a mix of feelings on this one and I'm not really surprised. One of those images that one can take in different ways. Igor mentioned that his feelings were sad and I never even thought about that when I was making the image. Now I can see how one could get that feeling so it is all very interesting with the end result. Thanks guys for your input on this.  cool Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 03/10/18 at 4:22 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

I like this a lot. Fantastic job of controlling the exposure and your processing to bring out all those details in the branches and snow.  Good job of finding this scene, too.
Probably because I come from snow country, I do not find this bleak at all.  To me it's just beautiful stillness. Love it.devil

I am so jealous. We got a bunch of snow on Thursday,  but I had to spend most of Friday (yesterday) plowing snow around our place, and by the time I was finished, the wind had blown all the snow out of the trees. It had warmed up and all the cool scenes like this were gone. Bummer

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/10/18 at 6:48 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

You have done an excellent job extracting a sense or order from chaos. While I like the high key of the snow, I wish there was a little more detail in the foreground. I really like the textures in the snow on the right hand tree. Niely done, Nick.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/12/18 at 2:48 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is a very captivating image, Nick. I love the graceful curve of the limb on the center tree and the high key effect here reminds me of a drawing. If I had anything to suggest it would be to tone down the upper corners just a tad, but this certainly works as is. Sounds like you had a wonderful time and were in your element.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 03/13/18 at 8:14 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

Nick, I really love the delicate etching effect this has with the snow plastered against the trunks and the branches. Very artful.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/14/18 at 09:24 am EST    

Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful comments and suggestions. Very much appreciated!! Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership