Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Melt Down & Crop
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 03/05/18 at 8:15 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Harry Lichtman on 03/05/18 at 10:08 pm EST

Another image from my recent marsh series just down the road from where I live. A muted sunrise to an otherwise foggy gray day on the seacoast of NH. The ice slabs are now long gone, though more snow on the way.  Could get interesting again.

Those are chunks of ice in the FG, though they have a bit of grit and small rocks imbedded in them.

D810, 16-35mm, f16, ISO 64, 1/6 sec.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/05/18 at 9:31 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Another great mood created by the fog and sky. I am on the fence about the prominence of the foreground rocks. Maybe a little crop off the bottom?

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ronald Murphy on 03/05/18 at 9:51 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/12, 279 Posts, 975 Comments

While the broken ice of the previous image was appealing, this image got my attention even quicker. Maybe it's the colors. As for the cropping suggestion, perhaps, but just a little. Maybe up to where the foreground rock exits the frame on the left. I want to see this photo even larger than the large image.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ronald Murphy Gallery of Ronald Murphy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Gavin on 03/05/18 at 10:04 pm EST    
Registered on 08/14/08, 293 Posts, 1250 Comments

Great series of images. I do like the foreground ice but think a bit off left side?

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Gavin Gallery of Jim Gavin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 03/05/18 at 10:08 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

I did a left, bottom crop as suggested.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 03/06/18 at 02:58 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Those colors in the sky and water really make this for me.  I like the ice in the FG, it seems perfectly natural to me.sad  We have lots of that!  Original crop was Ok for me, but I like your re-crop even better.
Excellent treatment of a difficult subject. Well done.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 03/06/18 at 07:29 am EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Well thats pretty neat.  Nicely done.

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/06/18 at 07:51 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

The crop version is working for me. I like the change. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 03/06/18 at 08:04 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Preference to the original. In the second, I feel the point of the middle ie slab gets too close to the edge and the image loses some of the room to flow diagonally.  Minor nits, but a couple of the golden twigs along the center right edge are a smidge bright.  I like the blue and charcoal color of the ice slabs.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/06/18 at 12:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I like both, Harry, but I lean toward the original because it is more spacious and the lines are better realized. The light is gorgeous, and the processing looks very good.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Gavin on 03/06/18 at 1:34 pm EST    
Registered on 08/14/08, 293 Posts, 1250 Comments

Although both are wonderful, I like the second because it lessened the space between the tree on the left and the left side of the image.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Gavin Gallery of Jim Gavin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/06/18 at 5:36 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Harry, This is really nice and the mood is absolutely wonderful. I like these kind of images a lot and this one reminds me why that is. The colors look great! I liked the first post just fine but I do think the repost is even a bit better. Beautiful image and great processing too.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 03/07/18 at 04:56 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

A strong near-far composition with excellent atmosphere. The foggy conditions provide a nice and soft backdrop to the fascinating rock and ice up close. 

Very nicely done, Harry.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 03/07/18 at 09:42 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Harry, this image has a nice soft, ethereal feel to it. I love whats going on in the top 3/4's of the image, it just has a nice soft glowy feeling. This is just my personal taste, but in regards to the repost I would consider cropping even more away from the bottom. I like how there is a contrast between the softness in the upper section, and the sharpness of the foreground snow/ice formations. But for me the softness in the sky/water is the most appealing aspect of this scene. I think you can remove some more of the snow, which would retain the soft/sharp contrast, while placing even more emphasis on the softer parts of the image.

Given the lack of snow this winter, you did a great job thinking outside the box to create a really nice and unusual winter image here.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 03/07/18 at 11:07 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 03/07/18 at 11:09 am EST

Harry, sometimes the vertical scenes do have a place and time, this is one of them for sure. The warm reflective light is a real plus here. Not sure the scene would have the same impact with total dark winter gloom. As always it seems to be about the light, even small amounts of warmth that we see here....laugh 

btw: just saw the repost. I kinda liked the original, but both work in the composition department.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/07/18 at 11:23 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Comment last edited by Mark Seaver on 03/07/18 at 11:24 am EST

The very subtle color in the clouds and their reflections make this image, Harry.  There's a very gentle, cool yet inviting feeling that sure makes me want to be there.  I'm fine with the original post.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 03/07/18 at 5:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments
Comment last edited by David Schoen on 03/07/18 at 5:21 pm EST

Incredible light with serene leading lines and diagonals into a foggy background that contrasts so well with the texture of foreground.  Terrific composition.  Both crops work for me.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 03/09/18 at 05:28 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

Lovely Scottish colours to that purply blue sky that are so familiar over the Atlantic divide but which are often questioned in the US.  I recall Kah Kit  visiting Scotland and being astonished by the purple hue of our Scottish Highland scenery.  Even the scene depicted looks like it could have been taken here, very pleasing to my eye.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 03/09/18 at 9:57 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

A very moody and somber scene Harry.  I like your second post best with a little less dark at the bottom.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Norma Tareila Matl on 03/10/18 at 7:21 pm EST    
Registered on 10/27/16, 229 Posts, 393 Comments

Harry, peaceful, beautiful scene ... with all those earthly elements working together to create a perfect visual. I think I like the first image without the crop but both work just fine for me. The purple in the sky and the golden brown grasses on the horizon have a nice balancing effect. 

Norma Tareila-Matley
Tewksbury, MA
Rangeley, ME

“Photograph: a picture painted by light.”— Pablo Picasso

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Norma Tareila Matl Gallery of Norma Tareila Matl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership