Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

November Weather
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 03/04/18 at 6:42 pm EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Nick Bristol on 03/04/18 at 7:08 pm EST

This is a picture I made in November on a pretty cold and kind of nasty day overall, but I can enjoy weather like that sometimes too. I made a short trip over to Governor Dodge State Park which is only about 15 miles (lots of hills) from my home to see what I could find. It started to sleet and it was coming down pretty good at the time I made this picture. It wasn't long before the ice was coating everything and it was a very slippery drive back home. Larger version works much better on this pano view.
24-105L @ 58mm, ISO 400, F/11 and 1/25 sec.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Neukirch on 03/04/18 at 7:19 pm EST    
Registered on 07/09/12, 207 Posts, 1476 Comments

Wow Nick this is cool, literally. I really like your capture of the sleet coming down with the long exposure. Your choice of crop aspect works well also! Very nice. devil

John Neukirch
Eastern Nebraska
http://www.johnneukirch.com
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
John Burroughs

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Neukirch Gallery of John Neukirch

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/04/18 at 8:01 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This sure is a moody one. The white birches make this image for me. I might crop out some or all the dark trees on the far right even though they do provide a nice frame. I don't know, would a touch of clarity be beneficial?

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 03/05/18 at 07:41 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

I tend to avoid those Nov., or winter scenes for that matter when snow isn't coated on the trees.  But this image really works to set  the mood and there is enough color and layered fog to create interest.  Dreary is what comes to mind, but I find it excellent none the less.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/05/18 at 09:06 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

The warm earth tones on this cold and stark day provide a real nice contrast. The top feels a little tight for me, but not a killer at all. I like this quite a lot. A fine winter scene. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 03/05/18 at 10:42 am EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

NIck, another great image. The one thing that always impresses me about your images is the mood you capture. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/05/18 at 11:04 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Beautiful scene, Nick. There is a lightness of being here that is very pleasing, even with the rain. It is a tad tight at the top, but the image looks great as presented.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 03/06/18 at 02:46 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Warm colors on a cold day.  Definitely gives the impression of being right out there in the weather!  Almost a painterly feel to this for me, and very moody.  I need a fireplace after looking at this!!!

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 03/06/18 at 07:30 am EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Very painterly.  Way to get out and make something of it.

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 03/06/18 at 6:06 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Nick, you handle the panorama format masterfully in my opinion. A rather centered composition, yet with a fine balance of all the elements. The touch of light in the midground just makes the difference for me.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/06/18 at 7:20 pm EST    

Thank you for your comments on this. Really wasn't sure if anyone would actually like it so it is a pleasant surprise. I know it is a moody and kind of dreary scene and I guess that is what I wanted to capture. The freezing rain (sleet) was something I wanted to see if it would show up in the picture and it sounds like it maybe did. Thanks for the suggestions as well. Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 03/06/18 at 11:18 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 03/06/18 at 11:18 pm EST

Very nice pano, Nick. I'm kind of in catch up mode and saw your recent comment on my pano. When they're stitched well they can make a wonderful look as seen here in this image.
For me it's all about the bit of sun spotlighting or highlighting the middle area. You cannot plan for those things, but you've got to be actively in the field and setup to take advantage of these special events like you were on this one. A truly fine catch here........laugh

btw: that almost looks like a small beaver dam dead center of that land-bridge.....enlightened

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 03/07/18 at 05:06 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

The wide presentation really brings this scene to life. The shimmering light on the lake nicely complements the dark mood of the rest of the scene. Given the large area that is covered here I can really appreciate how you have pulled this composition together. 

Very nice work, Nick.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/07/18 at 07:16 am EST    

Thanks Paul and Anil. I always appreciate getting your thoughts. Nick
Paul, Yes, busy beavers! cool

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 03/07/18 at 10:24 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Nick, the sleet in this image creates a wonderful mood that makes this image look almost like a painting. It's amazing what you can sometimes come away with in nasty weather like this. I really like the contrast s you have created here between the light/dark and warm/cools areas within the scene. Really like the feel to this image.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/07/18 at 1:42 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Nick, I really like how this has captured the weather, with the falling sleet showing up well at the top, even as you've got some sunshine on the middle distance hills.  Sure wish NPN had a way to view this as a screen filling view.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/08/18 at 6:09 pm EST    

Thank you Ed and Mark! Glad you guys liked it. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 03/11/18 at 4:09 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Incredibly somber mood in this, and yet, this type of weather makes me the happiest when I'm in the woods (not as cold as up where you live, but I love the dampness & fog).  I love the white stripes of the white trunks (birches, maybe?)  This is so very painterly.  Superb, Nick.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/12/18 at 09:48 am EST    

Thanks Bill, I really appreciate that! Cheers, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership