Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Remains
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 03/04/18 at 5:20 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

While exploring the nearby marshes for comps, the FG struck me as a fossil that I discovered.  Once a single sheet of ice, it melted and collapsed into the 4 pieces that you could almost picture as a single unit.  Much like the continents, or remains that you could piece together before decay took place.  The misty mood didn't last long, waited for a cloud to pass in front of the sun to avoid needed to blend exposures for dynamic range.

D810, 16-35mm, ISO, 64, f16, 1/45 sec.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/04/18 at 5:40 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I am liking this one. Strong pattern in the foreground and great mood from the fog. Plate tectonics on a small scale? sad

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Sharp on 03/04/18 at 6:00 pm EST    
Registered on 12/09/07, 258 Posts, 9892 Comments

Fine example showing it does not have to be a grandiose subject to make a compelling image.  Thumbs up.

Lon Sharp
wildlife moderator
South Dakota
www.lonsharp.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Sharp Gallery of Lon Sharp

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/04/18 at 7:07 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

I like this, Harry. You captured the misty mood wonderfully and the 4 pieces of ice made a nice interesting foreground. Waiting for the cloud made for perfect light for capturing the mood of this scene. Very nice work!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/05/18 at 11:09 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Very moody and somewhat mysterious--I like it! I am a little on the fence with the stick in the fore ground, but the light, color and shapes are excellent. Nicely done, Harry.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/05/18 at 3:56 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

I like this too, although not as dynamic and compelling as some of your other images (But as the other Lon points out, it doesn't have to be!)

A great example of the near/far comp and I think your description (and Harley's comment) ring true with that broken ice.

I think the fog/mist has dropped the contrast quite a bit, which of course helps set the mood and atmosphere here, which is a positive.

The stick is fine for me, although you might consider cloning the lighter yellow end on the left.

Oh, and the silence is deafening here.  Wonderful.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/05/18 at 5:13 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I like this composition. The dreamy vague background and the very present foreground. I don’t have much to suggest really. Would desaturating all the browns improve or make it worse? Just a tad more space of the right of the bottom ice block would have been desirable. Just things to consider. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/07/18 at 10:59 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

I think this is the footprint of a gigantic Blue Heron, Harry.  (I envision a B or C grade horror movie...)  This is a great scene, with your focus on the ice sheets and the misty, grey surroundings.  The mood is both quietly inviting and a bit somber.  I think sunlight on this would have broken the mood.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Norma Tareila Matl on 03/09/18 at 5:06 pm EST    
Registered on 10/27/16, 229 Posts, 393 Comments

Harry, a well balanced image. I like the reflection of light in the water. Nice mood with the fog. 

Norma Tareila-Matley
Tewksbury, MA
Rangeley, ME

“Photograph: a picture painted by light.”— Pablo Picasso

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Norma Tareila Matl Gallery of Norma Tareila Matl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership