Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Marsh Madness & Edit
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 02/25/18 at 6:46 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Harry Lichtman on 02/26/18 at 2:37 pm EST

This image was from a little later in the morning as my previous marsh post.  Just around sunrise.  These fantastic clouds hadn't formed yet in my previous shot, or I would have figured out some way to include them then.  The beauty of the marshes this time of year is that for the most part, they are still pretty frozen so even at high tide when things get saturated, you can explore areas that you might not be able to walk in at warmer times of the year.  Found some tidal guts that I didn't even knew existed and with a wide angle lens, they can look for like rivers.  Would have loved to have gotten nice and close to the ground for the snow and frost structure, but would have lost the higher perspective needed to get the nice reflected light of the skim of ice. So I compromised and composed a little higher off the ground.  Looks like a brown muddy mess today with the rain we've had.

Single exposure, D810, f16, ISO 64, 1/8 th sec.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ry Birge on 02/25/18 at 7:36 pm EST    
Registered on 09/23/17, 118 Posts, 278 Comments

Nice Picture Harry.  I love the comp and the colors are saturated perfectly for me.  Wonderful cloud formations and reflect off water.  Good stuff.  Keep on cluckin!
Ry

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ry Birge Gallery of Ry Birge

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/25/18 at 11:31 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

My favorite parts of this image are:

1) the gentle side light on the snow everywhere. 
2) the central group of trees and the arc of sky around them
3) the color and formation of the clouds that seen to radiate away from the above trees almost like the flag of japanese battle flag. 

The eye is drawn to the bright area on the right. Can those highlights be burned down? Of less importance is the vertical rod in the center. Don't know how you feel about it. Even though it is natural it looks a bit unnatural.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 02/26/18 at 07:03 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

Wonderful cloud formation reflected in the pond and fabulous texture in cool tones on the frosted foreground.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 02/26/18 at 08:42 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Harry, when something like this happened I really like to think that those clouds were there for you (and us) cool I like the composition and your decision to keep a pretty high point of view to include both the sky and the foreground in the frame.

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 02/26/18 at 09:05 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Harry, I'm in for the higher perspective you've mentioned and setup for. For me it's how the light is casting across the entire scene.....laugh

I assume you're wearing waterproof boots in these areas. Be careful out there. Looks like one wet step could end an outing very quickly. I had a buddy in Cape Lisburne, AK take a wet winter step that led to a lost foot........cheeky

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 02/26/18 at 10:02 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

How did you get that cloud to look like a crown?  And right over the main tree too.  Nice sky conditions, Harry, and looks naturally processed.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 02/26/18 at 2:01 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Another beauty. Great set of clouds and wonderful color palette. Good composition with great depth and interest throughout. I agree with Igor on cloning out that stick in the center. Now that he mentioned it, I find my eyes getting drawn there.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/26/18 at 5:09 pm EST    

After looking at the upload, the snow appeared way more magenta than I intended - not sure why there is such a difference between my file and upload.  I have seen this before with some of my images, particularly the blues and magentas.  Anyway, this is more what I intended.  May be a little less eye catching, but more in line with the lighting and situation.  I backed down on blue and magenta sat for FG snow areas.

@ Igor - I agree, the right side might be a little hot.  I did consider the reed sticking up, and made sure when I framed it didn't run into the background snow.  More digital work than I am comfortable with, let nature be nature even if it might look un-natural.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 02/26/18 at 10:52 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments
Comment last edited by Wayne Jones on 02/26/18 at 10:57 pm EST

Wow, both the forms and colors of the clouds are gorgeous.  Placing them into this beautiful composition that reflects the beauty of the sky in both the snow and water makes this image irresistible.  I like the way the leading lines radiate from the large trees on the horizon.  Just excellent. 

Hey, I just saw the repost, and realized that it is more realistic.  Having said that, I would be tempted to put back just a little of the color on the snow -- sort of a compromise between the two, leaning more toward the repost.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/27/18 at 09:29 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful image, Harry. Any with the same foreground and more sky? The sky is so nice, I would not mind more. I prefer the color in the original. Either works great, but just like the first better. I agree with the suggestions about cloning the reed, but not a killer for the image. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/27/18 at 11:05 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I had thought about the magenta in the snow as well but decided that snow in that warm light would not look pure blue and therefore some magenta was appropriate. But the snow in the repost looks a bit flatter than in the original, or am I imagining it?

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/27/18 at 11:36 am EST    

@ Harley - I do have an image that includes more sky, at the expense of the close FG elements, as I had to shoot lower and move back a little to include more sky.  Probably should have just tilted the lens up and take another exposure to blend, but didn't.  I have some verticals that took in mor of the sky, maybe I'll post one of them.

@ Igor - Might look flatter since there are blues and magentas in the snow became lighter overall.  I can add more contrast to make the snow look more punchy I guess.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 02/27/18 at 5:51 pm EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

On first look I actually preferred the original posting, the magenta doesn't seem over the top for me. I agree the second is the more natural and the one I would hang on my wall. The combination of that sky and snow is irresistible!

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 02/27/18 at 9:07 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Wonderful light and a gorgeous sky along with a great combination of warm and cool colors, Harry. Hard to chose between the two versions as either one works for me. Amazing how a couple of inches of snow can transform a scene.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lucy VanSwearingen on 03/01/18 at 12:15 am EST    
Registered on 05/23/09, 800 Posts, 2042 Comments

One day, I'll try to become a good landscape photographer.  I tendto see tiny things everywhere frown, so my focus is usually more limited in scope.   But, this one is a masterful landscape devildevildevil   The light, comp, subject, colors.....just everything in this photo is just amazing!

Lucy VanSwearingen
Richmond, TX

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lucy VanSwearingen Gallery of Lucy VanSwearingen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership