Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

On the Edge of Ice
Photo posted by Genny K. in the Man & Nature gallery on 02/20/18 at 8:08 pm EST
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

This abandoned house was right next to other, occupied houses in this little fishing town.  
I was intrigued by the curtains still in the windows, and the rich browns of the old wood against those cold blues of the shadowed snow and ice. That ice in the FG is part of the salt water that backs up into the river.  There's some really thick ice in there.

Canon 5d mkii, 100-400L lens @ 220 mm, 1/250 sec, ISO 400, f 18

All comments and critiques are welcome and appreciated.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 02/21/18 at 5:31 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

This definitely says "cold"  to me.  I like the effect of the shadows and the contrast with the sunny hillside in the back.  That said, I do see a little bit of a blue cast in the shadows.  With rocks showing on the hillside, I'm assuming this is the evidence of fewer snowstorms that you reported in a recent posting.  Where in Alaska is this taken?

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 02/21/18 at 7:15 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Thanks, David. Looking at this now, on my notepad, it looks really blue in the shadows.
Yes, different parts of the state have had widely varying amounts of snow. This was taken near Homer, in South Central AK, which because it is on the coast, is significantly warmer than, say, the Anchorage area. 

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 03/03/18 at 1:47 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Sure does look cold..  the contrast of blues and browns works very well.
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership