Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Dreaming
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 02/19/18 at 11:41 am EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Thought the BW conversion had this type of feel, hence the title but I think I am running out of clever titles!sad  I similar comp to a previous color post.  Slightly different wave action and cloud position in this image. 3 images were used for this. A base image for most of the shot, plus a shot for the waves running over the far rock and another exposure for the brightest parts of the sky. I squeezed off 5 images in rapid succession to mae sure I got all of the waves action, then finished with a slightly darker exposure for the sky.  Thought the contrasty water and sky might make it worth converting to BW, we'll see.

D810, 16-35mm, ISO31, f16, 1 sec., sky 1/15 sec.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/19/18 at 12:51 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This is better than the previous colored version, imo. The water quality is better. The lower tide has rocks more exposed which is better. The rock on left is bright on it's right edge only. As siskel and ebert would say -  I give it a thumbs up. I can't find a thing to improve here. There is a straight tone line made by the sun's rays that got my attention, but it's a natural phenomena.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/19/18 at 1:53 pm EST    

I see what you mean about the tonal line Igor. The rolling wave breaks up the otherwise smooth and reflective ocean. Didn't know if that visually he an issue, but I needed that calmer area to dry the cloud brightness reflecting off the ocean.  Thanks!

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chris Chamberlain on 02/19/18 at 7:26 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/07, 500 Posts, 8365 Comments

I think it's really good! Lots of drama and dynamics do to the water. You know, I've still only ever blended one image for exposure. Maybe I'm a more safe type of photographer?

Chris Chamberlain
Vacaville, CA. 95688

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Chris Chamberlain Gallery of Chris Chamberlain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/19/18 at 7:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

No, Harry, it was not in the sea. I'm sorry I even brought it up. It's a perfect image, Harry, and I'm not just saying that. Beautiful and emotional at the same time. Dramatic and yet not over the top. Just a pleasure to look at.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 02/19/18 at 7:45 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

This is just gorgeous, Harry... Drama, wave action and shutter speed are perfect.
I have tried only rudimentary blending, cannot really critique your PP work, but it is not obvious in any way which speaks to how well it looks.....

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/19/18 at 7:48 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Harry Lichtman on 02/19/18 at 7:58 pm EST

@ Igor - Now I see what you are referring to.  Yes, some of the  great light directed upward from the clouds.  Like something you see in biblical films sad.

@ Chris - No, it just has worked for you so you stick with what works for you.  If you are happy with the results, no need to try other methods.  Today's sensors allow you to get most exposures in one shot, as long as that one shot is perfectly exposed.  I just find it freeing that I am able to blend exposures for most lighting which in order to make large prints.  I stopped using grad ND filters years ago and haven't looked back. I had more trouble with the transition line / zone than manually blending.

@ Dan - Thanks, I go for the more natural instead of over the top.  BW lends itself to more interpretation - I like strong contrasts in general.  I think it was the Ansel Adams influence early on.  Loved how bold his images looked with contrast and drama.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/20/18 at 09:13 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This is a real beauty, Harry. I like it by far from your series from here. Great tonal range and lots of excellent drama. I like this a lot. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 02/20/18 at 12:56 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

This looks great, another version of that amazing morning. I still prefer the comps without the left side big rock, but that is really minor since the whole thing is so wonderfully done. I'm tending to prefer the black and white versions.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/20/18 at 4:05 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Wow, This is impressive b&w work, Harry. Absolutely wonderful image. The conditions you captured and your b&w conversion are just excellent. I would still prefer it without the boulder on the left but even with it I love the image. cool

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 02/20/18 at 5:55 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

The soft dynamic flow of water contrasted by the sharp detailed landscape in back and the setting sun make this a stunning image.  The soft clouds mirror the water.  A well-done black-and-white!

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Daniel Rappaport on 02/21/18 at 11:28 am EST    
Registered on 09/09/09, 294 Posts, 2006 Comments

Really well done. Beautiful tones and perfect wave action. Lots of energy.  

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Daniel Rappaport Gallery of Daniel Rappaport

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 02/21/18 at 7:12 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is exceptionally nice, Harry. A very dynamic composition. Not sure how I would feel about color but the contrasty B&W rendering mores beautifully. No suggestions.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 02/23/18 at 12:32 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

This is a very powerful image Harry.  Excellent B&W conversion.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/24/18 at 1:06 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This is excellent, Harry. The tones are wonderful. My only suggestion would be to pull more detail in the large rock on the left. The texture in the water is killer!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership