Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

The Fly +2rps
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 02/18/18 at 3:12 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 02/22/18 at 3:42 pm EST

This was shot at Pt Lobos during a low tide. It hasn't received a particularly good reception among my non-photography friends but I stubbornly remain attached to it. I took several images of this crab. A curious fly showed up on the 2nd image and that made a difference for me. This image looks really bad in color and therefore was overlooked for about 3 years. I have a copy with the black end of the histogram less dark. I'm not sure .....

Canon 6D 24-105@75mm, f/20, 1/100 sec, ISO 800. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/18/18 at 5:28 pm EST    

A version with lighter blacks that show more detail.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/18/18 at 5:53 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Igor, This is really an interesting image and at first I didn't think I would care for it, but after looking for a bit I think it is a pretty darn cool shot. I too like what the insect (fly) added to this and it does make the difference for me as well. You did a nice job setting up this comp too. I like the first much better with the darker blacks and the larger detailed version has plenty of detail. I think it is very interesting looking at this and I would have never seen it.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/18/18 at 7:55 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I greatly admire your photo adventurism but I am with your non-photography friends on this one. But one of the beauties of what we do, really only our own opinion about our own work matters. It is all about the individual vision and self-fulfillment. Keep them coming!!!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/19/18 at 11:27 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

This is not one of those wow, that is beautiful type of images so maybe that is why it doesn't resonate with your friends.  It tells a story for me and I like that aspect of it.  I prefer the darker blacks, probably because I generally process my BW that way.  Could possible bring up the brighter and white levels more in the sea weed areas.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chris Chamberlain on 02/19/18 at 7:20 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/07, 500 Posts, 8365 Comments

It is a neat story telling image. I like it. There is a lot of interesting things to look at within the frame. I like the darker version. I might go so far as to increase the contrast a little more. Not making it much darker, but a little more lively. 

Chris Chamberlain
Vacaville, CA. 95688

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Chris Chamberlain Gallery of Chris Chamberlain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 02/20/18 at 6:00 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

When I first looked at this, I thought the second image might be a little more interesting because of the detail however when I think about some of the other photographers who have done work at Point Lobos, I think the darker image offers a more compelling story with the focus on the crab.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Daniel Rappaport on 02/21/18 at 11:32 am EST    
Registered on 09/09/09, 294 Posts, 2006 Comments

I definitely am in the like-it camp.  The darker image works better for me.  Though it does lose a little bit of detail it emphasizes the composition.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Daniel Rappaport Gallery of Daniel Rappaport

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 02/22/18 at 03:25 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

I like it, and i like the darker version better.  I just like it because it is something honest and real, that I actually see on the beach sometimes.  It's life.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/22/18 at 3:41 pm EST    

A few have said that it should be still darker and I agree (today).

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/24/18 at 1:09 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Nothing to be crabby about here, Igor. It tells an interesting story. I prefer your original post. The detail and textures come across nicely.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership