Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Snowing...
Photo posted by Genny K. in the Landscape gallery on 02/16/18 at 02:10 am EST
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

I haven't posted in quite a while, but I have been lurking, and occasionally commenting.... angel, so anyhow, hopefully I will be able to be more involved now.  I noticed that there do not seem to be all that many images of snow, ice, or winter-like conditions (with Nick being one of the more notable exceptions!!!).  Well, the least I can do is add in my winter images.
I took this photo last week.  We haven't had all that much snow, but it really came down that day, for a little while at least.  This was in a slow moving part of a river, and there was no ice in the river at that point.  The snow had mounded up on these rocks, though, and I liked how the snowflakes showed up against the water, and the reflection of the rock in the water.

Comments and critiques are always appreciated.

Canon 5d mkii, 100-400L at 400 mm, ISO 640, 1/400 sec, F9. Image cropped slightly, Shadow/Highlights

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 02/16/18 at 12:47 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Comment last edited by Mark Seaver on 02/16/18 at 12:48 pm EST

Genny, your capture of the falling snow looks good with the rock and it's reflection making a fine anchor point.  I also like the transition from gray to blue in the water reflection.  That adds to the sense of cold.  I think that cropping from the left (and maybe from the bottom) to move the main rock away from the center line works well at keeping the rock and it's reflection important while adding emphasis to the falling snow.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/16/18 at 5:32 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

There is a nice, dreamy feel to this snowy scene. I like the white/blue-grey color scheme, and the falling snow adds a nice sense of time. In terms of a crop, you might consider a crop from the right about 1/3 in. I would not crop from the bottom because I think the composition needs that space. I really like the reflection of the rock.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/16/18 at 5:41 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

What a cool looking winter scene, Genny. I like this comp as is and what a nice job of capturing the falling snow. Great looking cool tones and the focus right on the rock works nicely here. 

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/16/18 at 6:51 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I like the composition as is although the suggested crops would be good as well. I think the DOF works fairly sell with some show in focus and some out of focus, but would like that rock on left to be in focus. I think the simplicity of the composition is it's greatest asset. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/17/18 at 11:49 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful winter scene! No suggestions from me, really like it just as is. Simple and kind of abstract. Real sweet. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 02/18/18 at 2:33 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Thanks for the comments, everyone.  I think I was kinda focused onn getting (and keeping) as many snowflakes as possible in the image!!
The rock on the left (in the snow) was much, much closer to me than the big rock out in the water.  Given the shutter speed I needed to have, I doubt there was a way to get that rock on the left in focus.  I would have liked to have it in focus, too.  Maybe I better start trying focus stacking......I wonder what that would do to the snowflakes?

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 02/27/18 at 1:36 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Lovely!  Absolutely lovely!  Soft, quiet, peaceful, fulfilling - all wonderful emotions evoked by this image.  Well done.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 02/27/18 at 6:00 pm EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

You've caught the sensation of falling snow very well here. I would personally clone out that rock in the foreground to simplify the scene.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 03/01/18 at 11:42 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

I like this simple scene with one focal object.  A thought would be a tiny crop from the top to rid the lighter strip along the top edge.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership