Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Forest Lake and Fog
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 02/15/18 at 11:58 am EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

This is a picture I made while on our fall trip in Upper MI. last year. As I mentioned in a couple of other post back then we were ahead of the fall color but still had some nice shooting conditions. I made this shot at Forest Lake in the wonderful early light with lots of fog over the lake. It was really a fun time and I'm looking forward to it again this year...hopefully with a little more color this time.
5DMK4, 16-35 F/4L @16mm, ISO 400 (a bit of breeze) F/11 at 1/60 sec.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/15/18 at 12:43 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

The fog and subdued lighting allow for a really nice glow.  Would love to be watching this sipping coffee, and shooting of course!  Colors are gorgeous.  Maybe tone down the bottom RC leaf a touch.  Great shot and mood in this one.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/15/18 at 1:54 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 02/15/18 at 1:59 pm EST

Thanks Harry, I'm glad you like this. I was going to do just that and also another one in the dirt a little farther back that kind of catches my eye a bit and then forgot before posting it. I was also going to clone out the one blue speck of sky showing through the trees along the left edge.
The light was really nice for a little while and I was glad I looked away from the island I was photographing and noticed this shot I could make. It really was a wonderful morning with my wife and some good friends along to share it with. We all enjoyed it a lot it seemed. Most of my photography is done alone but it sure is nice to have someone to share these special moments with sometimes.
The coffee did tasted great back at the vehicle! Thanks, Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 02/15/18 at 6:00 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The light on the cattails makes a great balance to the lovely glow of the fog and the water, Nick.  It's a beautifully inviting scene where I can hear the waves lapping and the birds starting to call.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 02/15/18 at 6:06 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

You captured some glorious light here Nick.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/15/18 at 6:57 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Gorgeous light here, Nick. I love the glow. The large version really opens up the shadow detail on the left. The light on the cattails and on the plants between the trees and the water is really nice.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/15/18 at 7:23 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

You have to love the light here. Warm light passing through fog is really special. Like a recent one you posted this has the feeling of an oil from American painters of the 19th century. Good saturated color yet doesn't have that processed look. You let nature speak for itself rather than process it into beauty. Has peace all about it without using cliche compositions.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 02/16/18 at 02:17 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

The quality of light in this just pulls me in.  Definitely feels like a painting.  Great job on getting the fog so perfectly.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 02/16/18 at 8:12 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Nick, I really like your intended land mass composition here with a diagonal flow from the ULC to LRC. An excellent look overall......laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chris Chamberlain on 02/17/18 at 12:34 am EST    
Registered on 03/13/07, 500 Posts, 8365 Comments

A beautiful and soothing image, Nick!

Chris Chamberlain
Vacaville, CA. 95688

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Chris Chamberlain Gallery of Chris Chamberlain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/17/18 at 11:54 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful dreamy, painterly image. I might clone out the bright spot just below the upper reeds, but otherwise, looks great. Great mood!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 02/27/18 at 1:34 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Beautiful Nick.  The light is lovely in this. I really like the way the brightness of the right/bottom is somewhat offset by the brighter coloration in the FG grasses on the left; it balances the image IMHO. makes getting up early worthwhile, doesn't it?

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/28/18 at 08:59 am EST    

Thanks so much guys! Always nice getting your comments and suggestions. Thanks,Nick
Bill, Yes, It sure does!

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership