Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Bass Harbor Frosting
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Man & Nature gallery on 02/12/18 at 8:54 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 02/25/18 at 4:39 pm EST

I've been processing images from up in Acadia NP during the recent arctic temps and sea smoke.  While the sea smoke blocked much of the most exciting light,  I think I was still able to capture the cold conditions at this landmark lighthouse.  My first time there, I was expecting to have to work around other photographers since it is so iconic and in probably every calendar, postcard, and visitor guide - year after year.  Wanted to get something of my own for my portfolio, and figured a good winter image might be more valuable than a gazillion of the warm weather images that abound.  I am not into the crowds either. Was there one evening and one morning, and the subzero temps and gale force winds kept everyone away.  Saw one person, who bailed after 5 minutes.  I guess I would too had I been wearing jeans and a sweatshirt!  I did get doused by one rogue wave, but the cold temps made the water freeze in minutes, then I just shook off the ice.  Very nice!

This was 2 images - I couldn't get the whole wide angle view I wanted horizontally , so I got most of the image in my first shot, and the top 1/5 using a second exposure and stitched them.  The sea smoke was blowing toward me, making things a little more challenging.  The horizontal images show the smoke the best, so I figured I'd post one of those.  This was shortly after sunrise as some warm light would occasionally break through the mist.

D810, 16-35mm, ISO 64, 1/180, f16 

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 02/12/18 at 11:54 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Another fabulous shot from your freezing morning at Acadia. This is wonderful, the sea gull adding just the right touch in the right place. It's hard for me to imagine how cold you must have been, but your efforts paid off in all the photos you have posted. So unique and so perfectly executed.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/13/18 at 07:26 am EST    

Thanks Kathy - The wind was brutal, just had to keep everything covered up and sacrifice cold hands at times to operate the camera dials. 

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Sandor on 02/13/18 at 09:52 am EST    
Registered on 01/12/14, 453 Posts, 1625 Comments
Comment last edited by Richard Sandor on 02/13/18 at 09:54 am EST

Harry: this is an excellent composition which really captures the coldness/atmosphere of the scene. I like how the darker rocks lead the eye to the lighter rocks which in turn lead the eye to the lighthouse. My most minor nit would be to bring up the brightness of the dark rocks at the base of the photo just a bit. I think seeing a bit more detail in them would be an improvement. Excellent otherwise and certainly a wall hanger. Your perserverance paid off. Richard

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Sandor Gallery of Richard Sandor

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 02/13/18 at 10:17 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Harry, you've captured a wonderful image of an iconic scene, but done it in a way that offers something new. I don't know if I've seen many other winter scenes from here, and this is great. I love all the texture in the foreground ice and rocks, and the birds are a nice addition.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/13/18 at 2:48 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Nicely done, Harry. You did great job on this. I love the drama and the sense of winter weather it conveys. No nits here.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/14/18 at 11:31 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Marvelous image with many fine elements (rising fog, icy tide pools). Looks like a precarious place to shoot. I supposed that walking below the high tide line could have been less dangerous. I feel almost there taking this picture. You wanted to shoot the icebound rocks yet get a full view of the lighthouse. So you kept moving to your left.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Reno DiTullio on 02/14/18 at 6:19 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 130 Posts, 1644 Comments

Nicely done, Harry.  Haven't seen the Bass Harbor Light with snow, unique.  The sea smoke with hints of blue sky really works well.

Reno - Salinas, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Reno DiTullio Gallery of Reno DiTullio

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 02/14/18 at 6:19 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Wow, you really knocked em outta the park on this trip, Harry. The same holds true for what I said about your Cobble beach photo- this is one of the best if not the bet shot ever of Bass Harbor lighthouse. I've been to these locations at least two times a year for the last 15 years and never came away with anything approaching this quality.devil

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/14/18 at 8:40 pm EST    

@ Igor - The comp. was a bit of a compromise.  To get more lighthouse would have meant moving left, climbing lower toward the water.  Would have lost the ice impact since no ice had formed that low due to the moving water.  Higher up or to the right may have gotten more ice and more view of the sea smoke, at the expense of viewing the lighthouse.  An incoming tide might have allowed more dynamic water in the image at this persecutive and the ice, since it would have already been established on the rocks.  The vertical images i took give the ice and rocks more prominence, at the expense of sea smoke in the view.  I felt fortunate that the conditions worked out as they did.

@ Michael -  The weather just seemed to be on my side.  Beginner's luck at this location.  I'm sure I could go back 10x and never better it!  Things just happened to work out.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/15/18 at 1:08 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful, Harry. I might clone out the bird in the middle of the image (assume it is a bird), but otherwise, works real well for me. Nice take from the locale!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/15/18 at 2:36 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

This is wonderful. I have always enjoyed lighthouse pictures and enjoy photographing them like so many others. The popular ones do get lots of attention from photographers and a bit crowed at time. Like you I like going at times when I think the conditions might keep some of them away..enlightened Even though it was tough shooting you captured some great conditions and made an exceptional image for your portfolio. Love looking at the larger version!! 

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ry Birge on 02/16/18 at 9:45 pm EST    
Registered on 09/23/17, 118 Posts, 278 Comments

Super shot Harry. A real winner. Love the composition with the rocks leading the view up to the lighthouse.  Everything works for me. Keep up the good work

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ry Birge Gallery of Ry Birge

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 02/18/18 at 8:45 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Harry: Spectacular effort = a spectacular image. The gull is icing on a very fine cake. Most excellent.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 02/23/18 at 12:42 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Wonderful lead in with the foreground rocks Harry.  I don't think I have seen such a great winter image of this excessively photographed area.  Did you get any cross country skiing in on the carriage roads in the park? I highly recommend it if you did not.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Julia Flanagan on 03/09/18 at 1:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/03, 59 Posts, 986 Comments

Great Shot Harry!  I don't know how you did this without breaking your neck!  I've been out on those rocks.  They are not easy to navigate when they are dry, how much harder when icy.  Very well done.

Julie

Julie
Bristow, Virginia
"How many are your works, O LORD! In wisdom you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures." Ps.104:24.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Julia Flanagan Gallery of Julia Flanagan

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership