Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Painted Hills Forms
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 02/12/18 at 6:43 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

The Painted Hills area gets a lot of attention from photographers in the area. I was mostly interested in shapes and forms rather than an overall view. Although I did include the sagebrush at the bottom, go figure. I could have pushed the warm colors to add more vibrancy but decided against it this time. 

Alex: "I like it pop but what's with all the trees on top". My heart sank.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 02/12/18 at 9:19 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

This is nice Igor.. muted and a nice look the the hills with a nice sky as bonus.
They get a lot of attention as abstracts mostly because they are so far out of the way that you need to camp to be there at the golden hours and you can get nice closeup abstracts at any time of day.
I really like the trees on top.
I am not sure of the crop, it appears you were there with nice light, why the square crop and not a landscape view?

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 02/12/18 at 11:23 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Igor: This is one of the few areas in Oregon that I've not visited and you're making me want to get there sometime soon. I like this wide view and the inclusion of the FG sage and the trees up top. Of course I can see a bunch of abstract frame filling possibilities too making this a really nice place to explore. Well done.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/13/18 at 09:45 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Igor, I like this a lot! The almost square format works really well for me and you did an excellent job with this comp showing the shapes and forms you were after. I love the smooth textured feel of the hills and the colors are natural and wonderful. Very nice work!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 02/13/18 at 09:52 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

The trees on top give a nice size perspective, and your processing looks very natural.  Part of my mind is thinking a pano crop right through the middle to show nothing but color and shape.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/13/18 at 11:10 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I am really enjoying the colors and shapes of the hills. The sky feels cutoff to me, as I would like to see more of it or none. I like Doug's crop suggestion as an alternative. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/13/18 at 12:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Thank you for the comments:

@Dan, @Doug, @Bill. I do have landscape views of this scene and at one time I was happy with it but am trying to find meaningful forms. I'm not sure how much effort is worth getting to this area. There are only a few of these hills that can be seen in a few hours. It's not like Death Valley.

@Nick Thanks for the kind words

@Harley I'm thinking of addressing the sky issue in the next image. You may get a kick out of it. Or not.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/13/18 at 2:22 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I like the color and shapes along with the varied texture. The sky does look cut off to me. The processing has a nice soft touch.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 02/14/18 at 04:31 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments
Comment last edited by Anil Rao on 02/14/18 at 09:49 am EST

A little different than your more recent post yet no less beautiful. Both of your pictures of the Painted Hills are quite unlike the others I have seen so far. Not having been to this place, I find myself more attracted to your portrayal. It is devoid of unnecessary exaggeration and yet captures the unique beauty of the landscape in a quiet and more telling manner. 

The small bunch of trees at the top of the hill is a real treat. 

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 02/15/18 at 6:20 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

An interesting comparison, Igor.  The view seems notably less colorful here than in your next post, but both seem realistic.  I like the sense of movement that the series of eroded slopes creates here.  This is very restful and inviting.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership