Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

SmokeScreen-RePostX2
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 02/09/18 at 5:10 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Harry Lichtman on 02/10/18 at 7:18 pm EST

Same cove, different location, the next morning from Acadia during the arctic conditions and sea smoke.  That interesting rock from my last post had apparently been covered by cobbles by the surf during the past 24 hr. period, though I looked around for a while and thought I had lost my mind.The huge cloud on the horizon is actually part of the sea smoke clouds that formed. A thinner line of mist offshore can be seen in front of it.  On the far right some mist drifts in front of the darker rocks.   The clouds blocked the direct sunrise, but the moving mist created some dramatic light as the sun would sporadically peak through hole is the fog.

D810, 16mm, ISO 31, 0.7 sec.  2 exposures blended for dynamic range, polarizing filter.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 02/09/18 at 6:20 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Harry, I think this is one of the nicest images I've seen from this iconic location. I feel cold and wet just looking at it. The ss is perfect for the water and I like the cool blue tone. There's a nice sense of movement toward the LRC. The rising mist along otter cliffs is the icing on the cake. Not sure about the rock creeping in from the left but it's not a big deal. Is this towards the right side of the beach? I usually shoot from the left side cause there's usually so many photographers there if you venture to the right you'll get a chorus of "get out of the way!"

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/09/18 at 7:09 pm EST    

This was shot pretty far to the right.  The tide was rather low, rocks very slippery so you had to walk a ways to get near the water.  Maybe that discourages photographers?  I was there in late summer and this winter, and never saw anyone during any of my visits.  I guess I was very lucky.  I better stop while I'm ahead!  My idea was to use the left rock as a sort of bookend to to the image, with the reflected light on the rock directing the view diagonally to the distance and cliffs.  Shooting too far away from the darker cliffs wasn't allowing the sea smoke drifting off the water to be very visible.  I was way below most of the really round boulders that make up much of the beach, which I suspect is what most photographers are after.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/10/18 at 07:50 am EST    
Comment last edited by Harry Lichtman on 02/10/18 at 5:53 pm EST

After looking at the upload, the water looked too magenta, especially the white highlights so I adjusted that a little.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 02/10/18 at 10:02 am EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Harry,

The repost looks very good.  I have no nits for you as I find this a very pleasing image.  Well done.......................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 02/10/18 at 10:24 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is another beautiful image from Cobble Beach, Harry. All the dynamics here from the water action to the sea smoke and the drama in the sky all work in harmony in this landscape. As my brother already mentioned this is one of the nicest images from this location. Those cobbles can be pretty treacherous to navigate, especially in low light before sunrise.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/10/18 at 11:13 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This has to be the best image of this subject. Good composition. Lot of energy. It's as though all is exploding from the bright center to the dark corners. Yet it also has a lacy, gentle look at the same time. Don't know what to suggest. Perhaps burn in the white spot on that left lower rock. Excellent work.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/10/18 at 2:25 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

The repost looks looks great, Harry. The image has a lot of energy and a fine color palette. I really like the treatment of the water, bothy in terms of color and the shutter speed used. Nice job!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/10/18 at 6:55 pm EST    

Clicking Image will open Larger View

@ Michael - I found an exposure with essentially the same lighting, but composed without that left rock.  Figured I'd post as a comparison instead of creating new post of pretty much the same view.  Not sure if it is better, just different.  Think there may be mor sea smoke on the right visible.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/10/18 at 7:19 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Harry, The last image without the rock coming in on the left side is absolutely wonderful. Seems like a more pleasing comp to my eye and I'm totally enjoying the larger detailed view. Really a fantastic image! 

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 02/10/18 at 7:46 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Harry, like the last post the best. To my eye, there's more drama and definition to the BG sea smoke. the same goes for the mist at the bottom of otter cliffs. Awesome.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 02/10/18 at 10:47 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

This is just gorgeous, and I like the last one best. It works better for me not to have the rock on the left side. These color images bring out the snow and the "smoke" better than the black and white, though the foreground roks in the B and W were fantastic.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 02/11/18 at 10:01 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments
Comment last edited by Doug Koepsel on 02/11/18 at 10:04 am EST

Harry, I noticed the slight magenta in the original, but thought it made a pleasing combo with the the light blue of the water in this case.  Preference to the crop of the third image.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/11/18 at 10:46 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Another fine one, Harry. While I kind of like the rock in the second version, I find the sky and light a bit better in the third post and favor it the most. Both work well, so hard to go wrong with either. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/11/18 at 11:54 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I think the original 2 versions have stronger compositions. The bounce light off the water in the third image gives the image life that you just can't infuse into the originals. Sometimes I shoot a different crop at the end and am not even aware of the small light change that had occurred. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 02/14/18 at 04:40 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

This surely has to be one of the most beautiful coastal scenes I have seen in a very long time. The strength of the ocean waves is showcased to perfection. Add to that the gorgeous light and the lovely winter conditions. 

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bo Chen on 02/19/18 at 10:52 am EST    
Registered on 02/14/17, 42 Posts, 74 Comments

Excellent composition and leading line of receding waves. A moment captured right on spot. The rocks are positioned well leading to the sun. I would print the picture out and hang it on a wall.

Bo Chen
Oakville, Ontario

Don't speak. Let it spoken through.

All Photos and Comments by Bo Chen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ry Birge on 02/19/18 at 1:50 pm EST    
Registered on 09/23/17, 118 Posts, 278 Comments

Harry, masterfully done!  Love the composition and the exposure on the water works great.  Just the right amount of blur.  Might suggest you brighten the fore ground rock a bit to bring out a little more of the detail..You have a great eye...Keep on clickin

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ry Birge Gallery of Ry Birge

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership