Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Crucible & Edit
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 02/05/18 at 6:51 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 02/17/18 at 5:11 pm EST

I was attracted to the luminous quality of this wet rock on the Acadia coast.  This was taken during the recent deep freeze that hit the northeast.  I was hoping to get some colorful cloud color reflected in the pools of water collected in the larger rock, but sunrise wasn't that spectacular.  The sun did squeeze through the storm clouds and produced interesting highlights on the wet rocks, so I did wht I could with those conditions.  I did a simple BW conversion in PSCS6 and a small crop off the left.  A single exposure processed x 2.  A polarizing filter to reduce glare slightly, but not enough to completely reduce the rock glare.  The polarizer also helped me get some slower shutter speeds for the wave motion.
D810, 16 - 35mm, f16, ISO 31, 0.7 sec.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 02/05/18 at 7:43 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Nice shot of this often photographed scene. The B&W conversion works well. Good SS for the waves and the polarization looks just right. This is one of my favorite rocks on cobble beach, but oftentimes it's hard to find cause it gets covered and then revealed by the smaller cobbles.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/05/18 at 7:59 pm EST    

@ Michael.  I guess I lucked out.  The next morning I couldn't find it and thought I was loosing my mind!

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 02/05/18 at 8:46 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments
Comment last edited by Eva McDermott on 02/05/18 at 8:47 pm EST

I can hear the pebbles churring under those waves Harry.  Fantastic B&W conversion with spectacular light.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 02/05/18 at 10:08 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Had a good time when I was here a few years ago.  Great tones with the reflections going on and timing of the wave.  I'd bet it was chillier than it looks :P  Maybe split tone some blues in there if you were feeling fancy.  :P 

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 02/06/18 at 04:06 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Sublime and foreboding, an impressive capture of the moment to me, Harry. The wet surface of the foreground rocks just makes the difference for me and draws me immediately into the scene.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Balan Vinod on 02/06/18 at 05:03 am EST    
Registered on 03/20/06, 889 Posts, 2312 Comments

Harry ...love the foreground in this image...the lovely shine which leads one into the waves ...well done

Balan Vinod

Balan Vinod
http://balanvinod.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Balan Vinod Gallery of Balan Vinod

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 02/06/18 at 05:38 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

A very powerful image, Harry. The wave adds a lot of character. Just a minor suggestion would be to lighten a little bit the right part of the image on the rocks. Although colors were not spectacular, I would be curious to see the color version. cool

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/06/18 at 07:53 am EST    
Comment last edited by Harry Lichtman on 02/06/18 at 07:54 am EST

Clicking image will open a larger view.
@ Mattia - Here is the color version.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 02/06/18 at 08:54 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Harry, both versions provide some dramatic winter weather appeal. Admittedly the B&W has the edge in that drama of look & feel, but I always seem to see things in color in the end. Nice work......laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Reno DiTullio on 02/06/18 at 08:54 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 130 Posts, 1644 Comments

The color shot is a beauty, too, Harry, but the bw is DRAMATIC!  Excellent.

Reno - Salinas, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Reno DiTullio Gallery of Reno DiTullio

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 02/06/18 at 09:38 am EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Ominous and almost scary looking....
The OP is awewome.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kerry Gordon on 02/06/18 at 09:39 am EST    
Registered on 01/29/18, 4 Posts, 18 Comments

Great use of B&W.  I love the moodiness that you've captured and the texture and light on the rocks draws me right into the picture.  Really nice work.

All Photos and Comments by Kerry Gordon

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/06/18 at 10:44 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Wow, that front rock is very imposing. And rightfully so. It's hard to compare the two but I think I'm leaning towards color. The b&w is starting to look a bit melodramatic, the Young Frankenstein look. It's a matter of taste perhaps but I would experiment with less contrast and a bit more exposure as a comparison. It's really an excellent composition with that wall of water adding to the ferocity of the place. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/06/18 at 10:57 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This is gorgeous, Harry! The tones look great, and you timed the wave perfectly. No nits here. Truly a grand seascape!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/06/18 at 11:42 am EST    

Click image to open larger view.

I opened up the right lower shadows and did a little yellow/blue split toning in ACR as suggested by Aaron.  Maybe I toned too subtly, not sure.  Didn't want to go overboard.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/06/18 at 12:57 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Great foreground and sweet image. I go back and forth between the color and B&W and can't decide which I like better. Both are excellent, so no choice is needed. sad

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/06/18 at 7:00 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Just saw the repost above my comment. I prefer the original B&W over the repost. The toning is not doing it for me. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 02/06/18 at 11:01 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

All three versions are beautifully done but the clear winner for me is the B&W, Harry. It has such a wide range of tones and is dripping with mood. Great drama in the sky and you managed to catch the wave perfectly. I have only been there once when the rock was exposed and someone else was already there. I will just have to keep trying. cool

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 02/07/18 at 08:33 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Wow, Harry, this is an excellent take of a place that we see so much I tend to become desensitized to its beauty. The light on that rock is fascinating, the curling wave is excellent, and lots of drama in the sky. I like the original b&w and the color for different reasons. So beautiful!

The only suggestion I have is to tone down the lighter areas where the sky shows through the trees, particularly in the URC.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 02/07/18 at 10:58 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Harry, for the first B&W, I think very slightly darkening the sky right above the water might be tried.  Overall, I do prefer the color version with the blues contrasting with the bronze glimmer on the rock.  Congrats on your EPA award!

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 02/07/18 at 2:50 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

This is just awesome! Compositionally, every single element fits, is important and adds to the image - not even going to mention all the "elements," other than to say everything here is balanced.  The processing is also excellent with just the right amount of contrast and tonal range.

Love the color version too. Only suggestion there is selectively desat the blues in the snow in the trees. Minor thought.

As far as the repost of the b&w, I think the original just looks better.  It seems some of the life has been taken out with the toning.

This is an outstanding image Harry.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 02/07/18 at 6:05 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

Hi Harry,
I really liked the first one, and I still prefer the processing in that one.  I like the shadows along the right edge, and losing that shadow took some of the drama out of it.  

However, I think I like the crop of the color and split tone versions, or something between them and the original.  In the first one, the trees got cut off in the urc, and in the reposts, that cloud in the corner is a skight distraction (and might be moreso in b/w?). I would crop just between the two so we get the tops of trees, but not the cloud.

I am not typically a selective color kind of gal, but I can imagine this with a little of that blue kept in the water.  Fabulous composition and perfect ss for getting the right mood in the clouds and water.

ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 02/07/18 at 7:23 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

There's not much more I can add to this incredibly well done image.  From all the comments you've received you should be quite happy with this.  I really like the second black-and-white posting the most.  Wonderful job!

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 02/07/18 at 8:03 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

The foreground rocks are just wonderful and unique, and it keeps getting better as your eyes move back through the image. I prefer the original post, but I didn't really notice the snow until I looked at the color photo. The snow stands out much more in that one. I wonder if you can bring it out a bit more in the B and W, since that is also very unique.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it was processed x 2 and would love to know.

Marvelous image. A winner.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/07/18 at 8:47 pm EST    

@ Ed - I went back the next morning hoping for some more impressive sky color, but couldn't find the rock again though the sky color worked out.  I thought I had lost my mind.  I didn't think it could be cover ed new rocks in a day but I guess it did.  I've been checking the internet to see other comps with this unique rocks but haven't been able to find any.  If you find one, let me know!  

@ Kathy - So my processing a RAW x 2 is done for images that have a higher dynamic range that might require 2 different exposures.  I can often process the shadows and midtones in the initial RAW conversion at the expense of the highlights.  I will then go back to the RAW image, and adjust sliders so that the brights and highlights are maintained.  I then save this version of the Raw conversion, use it as a layer over the initial conversion that contained the shadows and mid tones and manually blend them to keep the best of both, then save this blended version.  If the DR is too great, another exposure might need to be used.  The advantage of processing the RAW x 2 is that the water, clouds are all in the same position in the file.  Had I needed another exposure, clouds may have moved, water swirls and such might have been different which just makes the blending more difficult - but on occasion might help improve the image.  I prefer not to shoot lots of bracketed images and sift through them if I can do it in one.  Basically, I'm lazy in this respect!  Hope that clears any confusion.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 02/07/18 at 10:40 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Harry, re your request to Ed, after a quick perusal of my files, this is the first image I came up with. This was while Hurricane Fred was passing by. I couldn't get down to make it a more prominent FG element cause I would have gotten soaked. As you can see it's getting pretty much covered over in this image. As you did, I went back the next day for another try and it was gone.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/08/18 at 05:06 am EST    

Wow Michael, that looks completely different.  I didn't realize how fortunate I was.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 02/08/18 at 6:40 pm EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

The colour for me. Love the colour and shape of the foreground rocks, the midground wave and the sky. The snow is a really nice addition and really stands out in colour. I do the like the first BW version too for the drama.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership