Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Jaws
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 02/02/18 at 09:57 am EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

A different view from the rim of Bryce Canyon this fall. This view lent itself to some nice leading formations with a view into the rest of the canyon.  I think this kind of image can only work if the near formations are separated from the rest of the hoodoos and red rock and I tried to use the low angle light to create that separation.  I'm not sure it work as well as I hoped, but given the nice cloud formations that were sort of otherworldly as well I think they complemented the land elements.   Single exposure.
D810, 16-35mm, f16, ISO 64

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 02/02/18 at 11:16 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Very dramatic Bryce image, Harry, with a great sky and terrific light. And, as you say, it is a different view from the rim. The foreground hoodoos are interesting. My initial reaction was that they block the view into the canyon. However, this may just be because it's not what I am used to seeing from the rim. As with most images, the more I look at it, the more I like it.   Overall, it's a very striking image.  

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/02/18 at 3:23 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

It is indeed a very striking image. The color is beautiful, as is the composition and gentle light. I don't know if it's your title or the image itself but I can't get away from the thought of a jaw with serious dental problems. If most see it that way it could affect the sales of this image. Perhaps it's the association one gets from seeing too many dental xrays. It does pique one's interest in that sense and gets you to look longer. I like the color and tonal separation between the jaws and the rest of canyon. The sky is excellent as well. It's one of those images where you're not confidant in your feelings and want to give yourself more time.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/02/18 at 4:30 pm EST    

@ Igor -  i was thinking more of shark jaws, but to each his own!

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 02/02/18 at 6:45 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

That is an amazing sky and I like the POV with the graceful sweeping curve of the FG formation, Harry. The warm tones of the canyon are lovely and this works very nicely for me. No suggestions here for improvement.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 02/02/18 at 8:13 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Harry, my initial impression mirrored Igor's- that of a dental nature. But that doesn't hurt my enjoyment of the image. In fact, I love it. The FG really draws me in to that wonderful sky.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/03/18 at 08:56 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Harry, This is really nice work and I very much enjoy looking at it. It is a different view from what I often seem to see and I like that. Wonderful colors in this and I just love that sky. The detail is impressive as well. Excellent work!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ry Birge on 02/03/18 at 11:43 am EST    
Registered on 09/23/17, 118 Posts, 278 Comments

Great shot Harry! Like the perspective and orientation of the shot. Great colors and love the sky background. Keep up the good work

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ry Birge Gallery of Ry Birge

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 02/03/18 at 2:13 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

All around a very well done scene, Harry. Including the matching name for the view of the canyon from here. Seen lots of takes on Bryce over the years, never seen one from this POV and as finely crafted as this one. Very nice indeed.......laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 02/03/18 at 2:41 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

I find the the outward lean/distortion of the foreground makes an effective V to channel ones eyes centrally.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 02/03/18 at 4:31 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Harry, this is certainly a different take on Bryce. The lighter FG works well to lead the eye into the scene, and the FG exposure is well controlled. This looks familiar. I remember similar scenes near Thor's Hammer(?)

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/03/18 at 4:48 pm EST    

Thanks Bill, but not even near Thor. If you have keen vision, you might be able to see it across in the canyon but the hammer can blend into the rest of the canyon unless it is viewed from a certain angle.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 02/03/18 at 8:09 pm EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Harry,

I think that your choice for this photo shoot worked very well. There's a lot of vertical depth as the scooped out area beyond the teeth form a striking backdrop. Well done....................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kerry Gordon on 02/04/18 at 5:58 pm EST    
Registered on 01/29/18, 4 Posts, 18 Comments

Hey Harry,
Fantastic image.  I really like how you used the wide angle to such great effect.  The image has so much depth.  It really draws me in.  Was it a longish exposure or is it just the wide angle that gives those clouds that sense of movement?  Really nice.  One thing I might offer is to soften the horizon line just a touch, the transition seems a little harsh, particularly over on the left side.

All Photos and Comments by Kerry Gordon

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 02/04/18 at 7:57 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

It appears you are treated to some wonderful light on your visit to Bryce Canyon.  This wide-angle view is very effective portraying the intricacies of this sandstone Canyon.  Great sky!

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ken Henke on 02/05/18 at 11:48 am EST    
Registered on 02/20/12, 117 Posts, 285 Comments

Nice work with a bit different comp than one normally sees from Bryce. The image really portrays the ruggedness of the landscape. 
Cheers

Ken Henke
Wellington, CO
http://www.henkeimagery.com

All Photos and Comments by Ken Henke

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/05/18 at 11:53 am EST    

@ Kerry - Not a long exposure - 1/10 sec. otherwise the clouds would have been more blurred.  But high winds aloft produced them.  If I was going to go for a long exposure / cloud movement shot, exposure would have had to be a lot longer so the intent was clear.  Either sharp clouds, or really blurred streaking clouds.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/06/18 at 3:38 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Great light and color, and certainly a different view of Bryce. The composition is excellent, and I love the sky.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 02/06/18 at 4:41 pm EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

Just gorgeous, Harry.  Wonderful light and sky, and an excellent view that just leads my eyes right on into the image.  Well done. 

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership