Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Snow in the Woods
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 01/28/18 at 2:32 pm EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 02/10/18 at 1:12 pm EST

We haven't had much snow this winter so far but early this morning it was snowing pretty good. I decided it would be a wonderful morning for a hike through some of the river bottoms to see if I could get a picture or two. It was also quite enjoyable just hiking through these woods with the peace and quiet of the river bottoms. It seemed harder than usual for me to come up with a comp I liked and maybe because I haven't been out shooting much so far this winter. Hopefully that will change and we will start getting more snow. I am thinking about a northern WI. and U.P. trip in February so we'll see how that works out. 
Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Canon 5DMk4, 70-300L @ 200, ISO 100, F/11 and 0.4 sec.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/28/18 at 3:04 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This is a very nice composition with good structure and yet enough variety to keep it interesting. It looks like you added a bit of clarity to the dominant tree and that does sort of pull you out of the dreamy state that is pervasive in the rest of the image. It's a nice contrast to have. I find the larger version to be particularly helpful here. Perhaps a bit more contrast would be helpful here but can't tell without seeing it. Good work.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/28/18 at 3:12 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 01/28/18 at 5:30 pm EST

Thanks Igor! I did add a little clarity and bit more sharpening on that tree. I wasn't sure about it but thought it might work. I actually lowered the contrast a little for this and liked it better that way. There is something about these river bottoms that seem to draw me into them. I like the challenge of finding a composition in the cluttered and somewhat messy look that goes along with them and then making an image I like. They do have a mysterious feel that I quite enjoy I guess. 

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/28/18 at 7:07 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Really nice work on this, Nick. The lower contrast has imparted a delicate and gentle mood to this woodland scene and the falling snow only reinforces that feeling. The horizontal format works nicely with the vertical lines of the tree trunks. Good luck on your upcoming trip to the UP. I am hoping we get some snow here so I can head out to Swallow Falls SP western MD.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 01/28/18 at 9:07 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is wonderful, Nick. I love these forest snow scenes. Your composition works well as framed, as does the B&W rendering. I might experiment with darkening the exposure slightly to add a bit more to the mood. Did you try any at a faster SS?

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 01/28/18 at 10:55 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

I'm loving this, Nick.  I love the mood set by the lower contrast and the brighter spot in the central BG.  That brighter spot seems to lead your eye through the image from the FG to infinity; it adds a lot of depth to the image overall.  This seems to capture a scene so quiet it's almost in a vacuum.  Was that the case or is that just in my mind?  Either way, this is a true beauty.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/29/18 at 09:38 am EST    

Thanks for the comments guys! Always good getting your thoughts and suggestions.
Dave, I did have a shot with faster shutter speed but it just didn't have the overall appeal that this one had for me. I still have a couple to process so I'll see how they look. 
Bill, It was very, very quiet with a lonely and mysterious feel that I often get deep in the river bottoms. Lots of area to explore in here and you are always alone it seems. I enjoy that I guess.
Thanks guys! Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 01/29/18 at 10:38 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Nick, excellent all around IMO. No nits or ideas for change, just enjoying this winter scene as it was captured and presented here. laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/29/18 at 11:34 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This is wonderful, Nick. The soft light and contrast really work well here. Beautifully composed and processed.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/30/18 at 1:07 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

This is a wonderful b&w winter scene.  I think  you did an excellent job on the processing to capture and enhance the mood and quiet you experienced.  I also like the contrast as presented.  Very subtle, but the hints of falling/blowing snow are there and really help set the mood and experience.

The only comment which I'm not sure I would call a nit, but perhaps just my observation... is that the main tree up front is slightly dominant.  But you've also processed in a way that it fits just right with the remaining background scene.  Not sure if there's a suggestion in there either..

Excellent work.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 01/30/18 at 2:34 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

Really well composed with superb levels of soft contrast create a really pleasant mood.  Nice shapes and textures.  I enjoy looking at this image especially in the larger version.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Wolfenden on 01/31/18 at 10:24 am EST    
Registered on 05/18/07, 1108 Posts, 7647 Comments

The delicate feel of the light grey tonality is very beautiful, Nick.  The clash of the trunks, especially the white ( snow covered ? ) ones against the dark makes for a neat counterpoint to the strong near central trunk.  Like it !!

Manchester, England

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Wolfenden Gallery of Ian Wolfenden

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/31/18 at 12:40 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 01/31/18 at 12:41 pm EST

Thanks so much to all of you for your comments and thoughts on this! Very much appreciated. Nick
Ian, Yes, snow. Thanks!

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 01/31/18 at 1:32 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Nick, this is really nice. You've isolated a nice bunch of trees with a few diagonals here and there to break up all the verticals. B&W looks like a great choice here. If you could tone down that bright angled tree on the left, I think that would benefit the image.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 01/31/18 at 6:07 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Nick, there is an amazing feel to this image for me. Your subtle processing really does it justice in my opinion.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 01/31/18 at 9:59 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

The textures added by the fog and snow are very eye-catching.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/01/18 at 09:48 am EST    

Craig, Peter and John, Thanks guys! Really appreciate your comments. Nick
Craig, Thanks, I'll give that a try!

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 02/01/18 at 10:51 am EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments
Comment last edited by Marylynne Diggs on 02/02/18 at 5:38 pm EST

I like this a lot, Nick.  I too thought initially that the first tree was too dominant, but I think it adds that three dimensional element mentioned above, so I applaud your creativity in framing the scene this way.  I can also see the possibility of more contrast, but I think that would reduce the dreaminess.  The only thing I might suggest is boosting the highlights a tish for a slightly more high key look.

Something else you said struck me:  just getting out and walking is inspiration.  I have not done much shooting lately either, but for me the problem is going out TO shoot and not feeling inspired.  However, if I go out to enjoy nature, inspiration finds me.

ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/01/18 at 12:01 pm EST    

Marylynne,  Thank you so much for that nice comment. I agree just getting out in nature to enjoy it can be a real inspiration for photography as well...that seems to work for me. I might try that with the highlights and see what I think. Thank you! Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 02/01/18 at 10:47 pm EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

I like the image and you selected a good location to stop for your photo. The composition of the tree columns provide is very strong You have certainly presented the peace and quiet of the hike. While I don't usually stop for a BW (gray and white?), this seems a perfect choice. My only nit is I would rather a little more foreground before I bump into that first dominant tree. Very nice work.  

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/02/18 at 09:34 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Like the foggy feel of a fresh snow you captured here.  The diagonal snow covered trees mix things up and add a little tension to the quiet scene.  The feel that the trees are emerging from the brush creates a nice base to support the rest of the image.  No suggestions to improve, like as is.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 02/02/18 at 10:23 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

Love the composition and the airy feel of this image. The lower contrast and the soft light also offer a quiet drama that says so much about this place. I want to step into the frame and explore for myself. I love it when a photograph makes me want to do that.

You work has always been an inspriration for me and I can't wait to see more.

Regards,

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/03/18 at 12:15 pm EST    

Stephen and Harry, Thanks guys! Very much appreciate your comments! 
Anil, That means a lot to me. Thank you! Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 02/08/18 at 6:47 pm EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Oh my, stunning work. I looked hard for signs of active snowing but didn't see any, yet I can feel that it is falling diagonally towards the left corner.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/09/18 at 08:34 am EST    

Hi Kah, Thank you!! Yes, you are right about the snow direction. Cheers, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 02/09/18 at 8:05 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

I love this, Nick. Excellent! 
I see you got some suggestions to increase the contrast/clarity sort of thing. Nope, it doesn't need it as far as I am concerned. I love images like this, and spend a fair amount of time wandering thru trees trying to find them.
I really like the balance in this, and how it softly fades off into the BG.  Well done!!

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/10/18 at 09:02 am EST    

Hi Genny, Thanks so much! I'm so glad you like the picture and it sounds like you feel the same way I do about it. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership