Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

One More Time
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 01/27/18 at 12:29 am EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

This is inspired by Mr. Bill Chambers.  Bill asked me offline if he could offer up a processing idea.  I originally had not considered b&w as my vision was color from the beginning.  He sent me a b&w alternative from a screenshot and opened my eyes to this version.  Interesting because we often get cornered in to one version or the other.  My personal goal is that I see or envision b&w at the time, in the moment in the field and not as an after thought.  But clearly there are images that deserve consideration even if you didn't see it that way to begin with.

While this isn't the version Bill sent back to me, it's close and of course I started from RAW for this version. If you haven't recognized it, it's the same tree I've posted twice already (milking it.)

Thank you Bill for the suggestion!  As always I appreciate any thoughts, critiques and suggestions!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/27/18 at 12:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

First off, the large version has much better contrast and detail, especially in the dark background. The tree looks real nice, but I would like to see the contrast just a little softer. That tree has a great shape, and lots of detail.

After looking at this version, and comparing to the color versions, I prefer the color fo ir its more gentle mood. This version is more stark, but does show off the tree very nicely.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 01/27/18 at 1:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

I love this version of the tree, Lon. I think it's my favorite of the ones you posted. The lines stand out so well, as do the textures. The black and white takes it to another level, IMO.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/27/18 at 5:07 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

They are totally different images. I can't say that I prefer one or the other, like comparing berry pie to chocolate cake.  I like the processing you have done with this. The crop is effective for B&W and I like the strong contrast. Works for me. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 01/27/18 at 7:44 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is excellent, Lon. I really like the high contrast processing which makes the delicate branch structures standout beautifully against the dark background. Having said that, I think I prefer the color version.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/27/18 at 10:24 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Hard to pick which one I like more because they both convey a different mood to me, Lon. This one has some wonderful details and textures while being a little somber and mysterious while the color version is more vibrant and upbeat. You can not go wrong with either one, but I prefer the color one slightly.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 01/28/18 at 11:55 am EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

You always amaze me. You can make interesting compositions out of things I would not have looked at twice. The B&W work really well here. You are a real fine art photographer.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/28/18 at 3:51 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Lon, I prefer the color versions of this but do find this one quite interesting. The high contrast has a stark look and feel that really emphasis the tree lines and shape. Lots of texture and detail.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 01/28/18 at 8:43 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Thanks for the tag, but it was unnecessary.  Love your shot; in fact, I like it much more than the one I sent you. Delightful tones and contrast.  Absolutely love it.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 01/29/18 at 04:15 am EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Bw works well here.  On the fence on the off centered comp. 

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/30/18 at 12:10 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thanks very much for your comments on this one folks.  I appreciate you taking the time, especially after seeing this alder tree so many times.... ;-)

I too prefer and saw this one in color; although certainly graphic enough with good contrast/light/dark to warrant exploring in b&w.  So thanks again Bill!

Especially want to thank Richard for your kind words!  Thank you!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/30/18 at 12:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I prefer the color one as well - for the color and the more complex composition. What was unexpected to me is that I prefer the small version to the large version in this one. The larger version is of course sharper but I preferred a bit less contrast that the smaller one provides. This, however,  could be due to how my web browser decides to blow the image up. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 01/30/18 at 2:46 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

When I first saw the thumbnail, it reminded me of one of those black-and-white electrical spark images or lightning images.  Seen large, it has very nice range of black-and-white tonal qualities that accentuate the texture in this image.  Good job on capturing the essence of this Alder tree.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 02/04/18 at 2:59 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Lon, your color version offers various areas of interest that complement the delicate structure of the tree interestingly for me. I think the b&w presentation has gone a bit too far reducing the complexity of the scene.

Maybe choosing a lower contrast and providing some more richness of nuances could help.

For me personally, your last color version is my favorite portrait of this tree.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 02/06/18 at 02:39 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

Love the strength and the elegance of this tree. A very strong photographic statement. 

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership