Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Bryce Amphitheater & Edit
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 01/25/18 at 08:38 am EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Harry Lichtman on 01/25/18 at 2:02 pm EST

Capturing the awe looking into Bryce was much more challenging than I anticipated, especially creating a suitable FG that would work with the rest of the image.  Would have loved some snow, but just didn't work out this time around. I liked the semi-circular erosion gullies and thought they directed the eye to the more interesting hoodoos and sky.  Obviously, great sky color significantly helped the rest of the image with the reflected light.  Tried to capture the pre-dawn glow many of us are familiar with when view sandstone as everything lights up before direct lighting - which can also be pretty amazing.  Because I was there in the fall, I was able to get the more direct - shooting into the sun and some side lit hoodoos.  I realize there is some hoodoo distortion on the edges, but not enough to try and correct without deterioration of the file quality.

Single exposure, D810, ISO64, 17mm, 0.5 sec., f11

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ronald Murphy on 01/25/18 at 12:09 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/12, 279 Posts, 975 Comments

I'm surprised there aren't more comments. The leading lines bring right into the heart of this, like a vortex. At first I thought it might be a little too dark down in the valley, but I would be hesitant to brighten it. Beautiful photo.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ronald Murphy Gallery of Ronald Murphy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 01/25/18 at 12:44 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

The semicircular ridges do a nice job of funneling the eyes.  I think you might try a slight brightening of the image overall. Nice sunrise with its glow cat upon the amphitheater also.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/25/18 at 12:56 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Harry, I think the gullies leading into the image really make this one. They grab your eye and pull you right in. The color looks great, but I do think the brightness could be brought up just a wee bit. Very nicely done!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/25/18 at 1:16 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I think the vortex comparison posted by Ronald is very apt. That's primarily due to converging leading lines that start from the bottom. What I really like the most about this image is that's a new and different presentation of this area. The almost iconic comps here are almost always colored layers of these columns. While those are beautiful we see them so often that you get a little numb to their beauty. This much wider view gives a sense of what this place really looks like. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/25/18 at 2:00 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Harry Lichtman on 01/25/18 at 2:01 pm EST

Click Image for Larger View

Thanks guys - I've brightened everything up a little - just don't want to loose the early morning feel.
Igor - I actually thought this might be a more common view but maybe not.  Unless atmospherics are nice, the grand view can be much of a letdown, especially mid day.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/25/18 at 2:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This is quite a nice view of Bryce and fine job on the repost. Ronald's vortex analogy is a good one, too. Excellent takeaway from the park. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 01/25/18 at 4:15 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Beautiful Bryce image, Harry. Excellent leading foreground and light to go with the fine detail in the canyon. Top notch Bryce image.  

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 01/25/18 at 6:47 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Harry, you certainly did catch the sweet early light on the hoodoos. I've taken several images of the details LHS, and the WA really gives it context. You're right about the foreground, which makes for a good lead-in to the scene. I had similar thoughts about bringing up the brightness a bit, and the repost works well.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 01/25/18 at 7:07 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Repost is very nice Harry, though I like the OP and looking at both, I think the OP has more mood and drama.
Very nice comp, not knowing the area, was it possible to move to the right?

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/25/18 at 9:23 pm EST    

Dan - Along the rim, you can almost always move right or left but the issue is that the rim undulates in and out so there are portions of the rim that may bump out into your frame with a wide angle lens and interrupt the flow of the image. So this was probably a limiting factor from my memory.  Also, if I moved right, I would have had to shoot more to the left to get this view which would have meant more of the left corner in the image.  IMO, there is almost too much of that in the image already, so I wanted to limit that section of the image.  I think I have some images where I zoomed in so the edge of the canyon was not an issue and indeed shot them to the right of this vantage point.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 01/25/18 at 10:50 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

I have to say that this image teaches me more about the general nature of Bryce than any other I have seen.  That may be because of the difficulty in capturing such an inclusive image that is also beautiful.  If others have tried this, they either did not get much exposure, or failed to catch my eye.  Thanks for showing us what's really there, and for doing it so well that it draws my attention.  As for the brightness, the original looks great on my monitor.  I like your decision to keep that early dawn feeling.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/26/18 at 1:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Kudos Harry for capturing a view from here that I have not seen before, which Igor already touched on.  What is unique is how you managed and presented the foreground as it leads the viewer in to the frame - yeah, vortex a good description.

I like the repost, although the original was just beautiful and I wouldn't have commented or had a second thought about the exposure level - but subtle changes can also be quite powerful.

Only small, teeny suggestion, would be to clone out the small, bright sliver in the center bg of the UR quadrant. Especially if you're going to print this - and this is most certainly print worthy!

Gorgeous!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 01/26/18 at 1:39 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is a beauty. Very well composed with great leading lines. On my calibrated monitor, I prefer the first version. I think the second version is a bit too bright and loses the mood in the first. 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 01/26/18 at 1:52 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

Lovely image, Harry.  While there are many images capturing the entire amphitheater or capturing, say, the left 2/3rds of what you have here, capturing precisely this with those leading lines is a completely fresh perspective for me.  I like both the op amd repost, and would probably go for something in between the two.
Kudos,
ML 

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/27/18 at 5:10 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

The slight increase in brightness works very nicely, Harry. The original is certainly excellent, too. This would make a nice print.

Thanks for doing the adjustments.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/28/18 at 5:49 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Harry, This is really a beautiful image! I love this view and how I'm drawn into the canyon is quite special. Wonderful colors. I like the original just fine but I think the repost might be even better. Glad you didn't brighten any more that what you did. Just right! cool

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bo Chen on 02/08/18 at 10:56 am EST    
Registered on 02/14/17, 42 Posts, 74 Comments

Like this a lot. It must be amazing standing on the edge watching the fantastic sun rise.

Bo Chen
Oakville, Ontario

Don't speak. Let it spoken through.

All Photos and Comments by Bo Chen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership