Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Mighty Oak & Re-Post
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 01/19/18 at 5:15 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Harry Lichtman on 01/20/18 at 5:12 pm EST

This nearby oak has a stately appearance when view at just the right angle and separated from a background of trees.  I had to shoot from below to isolate the beautiful form.  I realized after checking out the tree that sunrise would be almost behind it, so all the better.  I tried a shot yesterday after several inches of fresh snow dropped, but no decent light, much like the foggy birch I posted earlier.  This was from this AM at sunrise after a snow squall just past by.  True sunrise colors never happened, but shortly afterward some really nice cloud color and formations appeared.  I have some horizontals that I haven't processed yet, but I liked the FG snow so I got to this one first.

D810, 24-120mm

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 01/19/18 at 6:30 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

I like the tree, the sky and the color. I think my own preference would be to crop some to the bottom off to make the tree the center of the image even more. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Allen Brooks on 01/19/18 at 10:02 pm EST    
Registered on 07/27/11, 262 Posts, 2597 Comments

I really like this, how the light is coming through the trees and giving the branches some color.  I could also see cropping some of the top blue sky, and maybe some from the bottom as well to emphasize the tree even more.

Allen Brooks
Oregon

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Allen Brooks Gallery of Allen Brooks

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/20/18 at 12:53 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful tree! My first thought was the same as Richard, crop a bit off the bottom. I like the sky as is. Excellent take on your local tree. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/20/18 at 1:18 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I like the blue and the texture in the snow. I do think the snow adds a nice anchor, and if I were suggest a crop it would be from the top. I love the tree, and the snow on the branches. The light is superb.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 01/20/18 at 2:31 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Another fine stately winter oak view.  I like both the shape of the tree and the sky, Harry.  The rippled snow fits very well also.  I wonder about cropping to 4x5 for maybe even square to focus more on the tree. 

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 01/20/18 at 3:11 pm EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

Well  executed, Harry, I like the snow texture, it is a nice contrast to the clouds...maybe a little too blue though.  

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 01/20/18 at 4:47 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Harry, what gorgeous clouds you have here, maybe you didn't get the sunrise color you were hoping for but these clouds are spectacular in their own right. What I really like with this image are the interplay of the various repeating shapes/textures in this scene. The texture in the snow is horizontal, and the clouds are diagonal, that contrast works very well. I'm in the camp of cropping a little off the bottom, it will make the tree appear larger in the frame. I hope you have shot this marvelous tree in some other seasons and weather conditions, it sure is a beauty.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/20/18 at 5:17 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Comment last edited by Harry Lichtman on 01/20/18 at 5:20 pm EST

Thanks for the feedback.  I've made a 4 x 5 crop to minimize the sky and snow, keeping more sky than snow.  Also toned down the sat. fo blues and cyan in snow area.  The reason that there was more sky  and snow was to allow for breathing room on the sides.  Had I zoomed in more at capture, sides would have been tighter and less flexibility wit the final image / use.  Interesting to see how others view an image, so thanks!

Ed - I had shot the tree the day before during snow and fog, but never previously.  Will try in other seasons, not sure what the FG is at other times of year.  I think there is a wet field under the snow and ice.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/20/18 at 5:41 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Harry, thanks for taking time to tweak this. The re-post nails, in my opinion. Your crop choice gives the tree the prominence it deserves, but maintains the mood of the day with the snow and that gorgeous sky. Nicely done!
-P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/20/18 at 6:31 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Nice work on the repost. Works for me. BTW, my B&W dune pano was one frame. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 01/21/18 at 1:51 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Nicely done. This is indeed a majestic tree - worth coming back and catching under different conditions. The snow on the branches really enhances the image IMO. Repost looks great.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/21/18 at 3:05 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

What a great and majestic oak!  The setting you've captured this in is beautiful and really showcases this grand tree.

I really think the repost is an even stronger presentation.  Even though the snow has been cropped a bit, this image still has an excellent sense of depth and the field of snow is actually working as a lead-in.

Great sky and clouds too.  Beautifully captured, processed and presented.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 01/24/18 at 11:27 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

This is a tough call for me.  I love the more expansive FG in the original but have to admit the greater emphasis on the tree looks great in the repost.  I keep going back and forth, trying to imagine which I would like best at a larger size, say at least a 24x36 or equivalent. Either way, it's a beautiful capture.  I definitely like the reduced blue/cyan in the FG of the repost.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership