Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Sand Beach Sunrise + repost
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 01/17/18 at 6:30 pm EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments
Post last edited by Ed Lowe on 01/19/18 at 1:48 pm EST

Nikon D 800
Nikon 17-35 @ 24 mm
f18 @ 0.4 sec.
ISO 200
tripod & cable release
Acadia NP

I was attracted to the rivulets in the sand and liked the way the warm light from sunrise was falling across them. I do not know why I did not think of it at the time, but I wish I had taken a few shots of the water as it receded to create some nice effects in the water. Oh well, maybe next time. angel

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 01/17/18 at 8:17 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Ed: Marvelous light and color in the reflections especially. The large version really shows up the sand texture. Most excellent.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 01/17/18 at 10:43 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Nice warm beautiful light..
The SS is just right, I like the wave.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 01/18/18 at 08:15 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Ed, a beautiful shot from one of the not-so-obvious sunrise locations in Acadia. I think the processing here is great, you've nailed the colors and saturation without going over the top. Really like the wave motion that you captured here as well. As presented I like this image a lot and wouldn't make any changes. When I went to view the larger version, it was too large to fit on my monitor, and had to scroll down. When the large version first came up it only showed the top half of the image, and did that really pop. I think this would also work as a horizontal, cropping away the bottom half. In that cropped version, the golden light on the sand is really emphasized and makes for a very different, but very nice shot. I like it as a vertical with the rivulets, but also like it this other way too.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/18/18 at 08:24 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful, Ed. Funny, I read Ed's comments and I was thinking the opposite. To me, the bottom lines are great and I might crop out about half the dark area of the sky (to just below that lighter blue area top left). To my eye, that pops the sand lines and detail just a bit more. But minor stuff, looks beautiful as is. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 01/18/18 at 09:36 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Ed, what a dramatic change from your previous images with the ice. This is quite a contrast with an almost Hawaiian beach warmth to it. I especially like the composition on this one for the feel of being pulled in toward the distant land mass main point there. Has that wondering what is out there feel at least to me.......nice work.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 01/18/18 at 10:32 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Excellent foreground, Ed. Unfortunately, I do not live by the sea but those rivulets really fascinate me. For the next time it would be a terrific abstract IMO. Very peaceful and well composed scene with great colors.

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 01/18/18 at 10:39 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Fine image, Ed. No nits. I like it just as presented. Well done.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 01/18/18 at 11:55 am EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Beautiful, Ed. Very well composed and processed image. This crop works for me, and as mentioned, I think the level of saturation is spot-on. I could see experimenting with adding a bit of clarity and/or slightly dodging the bottom right to make those rivulets standout a tad bit more.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/18/18 at 12:14 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This works for me, Ed. I do agree with Harley's suggestion regarding the crop from the top, and Dave's idea to bring up the lower right corner a bit. Fine image-nicely processed.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chris Chamberlain on 01/18/18 at 9:06 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/07, 500 Posts, 8365 Comments

A lovely and relaxing image! That foreground sand and it's patterns with the reflected light would have had me though. Beautiful!

Chris Chamberlain
Vacaville, CA. 95688

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Chris Chamberlain Gallery of Chris Chamberlain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/19/18 at 09:27 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Ed, This is beautiful. The light and colors are wonderful and what a fantastic mood it has. Great just as it is but it is pretty cool that it works really nice with either of the crop suggestions made by Ed and Harley as well. That can't happen with very many images. Excellent work on this beautiful image. Just love the quiet and peaceful feel this has. Nice work!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 01/19/18 at 11:33 am EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Ed. I liked this the first time you showed it to me on your camera. Has it all, great light, comp, subject matter. The FG is just fantastic as it draws you into the scene. Nice SS on the waves and the sky is the topping on the cake.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 01/19/18 at 1:17 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Wonderful light and colors, and the rivulets make a great texture in the foreground. The 3 rocks make a good mid ground and I like its placement between the point and the little island. I might consider a crop off the bottom, or at least try lightening the shadows a little so a bit more is visible. But even without that, this is a marvelous image.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/19/18 at 1:38 pm EST    

Here is a repost with Ed's suggestion of a horizontal comp. Thanks for your thoughts.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/19/18 at 2:00 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I like the first (horizontal) repost the most. I think the original would have superior had you waited a few seconds more for the sun to  highlight those streaks a bit more in the lower right area. Not so that the area becomes bright but just the outline is strongly lit by the sun, like the lower left.  

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/19/18 at 4:52 pm EST    

One more repost with Harley and Preston's crop suggestion along with Dave's suggestion of a little dodging and clarity to the LRC. As always thanks for your thoughts.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 01/19/18 at 5:48 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Ed I like both of your re-posts. The re-work you did on the vertical takes what was a great shot up even another notch. The horizontal has a very different feel. The vertical feels very moody/dramatic, and the horizontal has a warmer, softer feel to it. I think they both work pretty well, but the vertical is definitely more dramatic.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 01/20/18 at 1:53 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Ed, this is a lovely beach scene  The colors in the sky and their reflections look great.  I like the long lead in of the textured sand.  I was going to comment about bringing up the bright tones in the lower half, but you've done that in your second repost.  Looks like a wall hanger to me.  The horizontal crop looses the invitation and the drama.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/21/18 at 1:17 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Ed,

Late in commenting here, but wanted to jump in and say the horizontal frame is a much more "comfortable" view and pleasing composition.  In the original, the spit of land is a bit out of balance in the overall scene, where as it's more complimentary in horizontal view.  Love the colors in the beach, the waveline and of course the sky.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership