Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Vine Maple
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 01/14/18 at 12:28 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 01/14/18 at 12:30 pm EST

I am reposting here something for the purpose of getting it into my gallery. This was posted 2-3 years ago. At the time I posted 3 vine maple images, thinking that this was the weakest of the three. Time has made me realize that this is the best of the three so I'm going back to it. I didn't mark it for keeping in the gallery at the time.

This was taken on a rainy day in the Cascades just west of Santiam Pass. Those were the natural colors at the time. I don't believe I boosted the colors on this one. This is pretty much full frame ... very little cropping. I realize it's not autumn any more but I hope you don't mind an fall picture.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/14/18 at 1:47 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Igor,

I never tire of images, no matter what the season! ;-)  A fine autumn image.  I like the spacing of the leaf clusters - open enough to give a glimpse of the trunks and bg vegetation - which btw, the dof is appropriate for this scene as well - all the sharp focus on the leaves up front.

A bit late to go back... but I'm wondering if a Polarizer was used or available?  Personal choice as to whether or not one would want to mitigate the sheen on the leaves in the LR.  One of those observations that's minor and perhaps irrelevant. 

There's that errant bare tree protruding through, but it's also not a bother for me since it really just blends in and flows with the cluster of leaves and arrangement.

A pleasing autumn intimate indeed.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/14/18 at 2:22 pm EST    

Lon,

A polarizer was not used on this image for the simple reason that I didn't have one at the time. I shoot a lot with the polarizer now and am pretty familiar with it's pros and cons. In this case I think it would have flattened the highlights somewhat and made the leaves look less wet. That's my theory, anyway, which I can't prove after the fact.

I do agree that the highlights in the tree trunk on the right seem a tad too bright. Thanks for pointing that out. I wouldn't have noticed.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/14/18 at 3:34 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful colors, but overall, I am really on the fence on this one. I find my eye drifting especially to the branches above and less to to the dark trunk highlights below rather than lingering in the colorful leaves. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/14/18 at 4:08 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

I always enjoy looking at autumn scenes any time of the year. I like this comp and it works much better in the larger view where I see more detail and the fine branches actually add for me. It feels like it is a rainy fall day and I'm quite enjoying that. Beautiful colors!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 01/14/18 at 6:15 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

I like the beautiful colors and the wet look, Igor. Really brings out the colors in a natural way. The entire image has a very earthy, natural beauty the nicely fills the entire frame. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 01/14/18 at 9:34 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

This is really nice work for this kind of subject..
Perfect DOF, just enough detail in the shadows, excellent realistic color and nice sharpness.
My only nit and a minor one is the portruding branch at the top.
I might try to clone out if possible.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/14/18 at 10:47 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Post all the autumn images you want, Igor. I never tire of viewing beautiful images, whatever time of the year. I am enjoying the way you filled the frame with the colorful leaves and kept the BG darker and less prominent; the perfect canvas. My only suggestion would be to try and tone down the brightness of the red leaves on the right just a touch. This will be a nice addition to your gallery.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 01/15/18 at 10:30 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

This is a wonderful autumn leaf tapestry Igor, the DOF and dark shadows really make the leaves pop out here. The distinct clusters of leaves (especially the two red ones) really get the viewer's eye roving around this image. I do wish a polarizer had been used to reduce the sheen on the leaves to the right. I understand you not wanting to lose the highlights, but my personal taste would have been to polarize wet vegetation for overall saturation reasons. Also put me in the camp of cropping away most of the vertical branch at the center top. You can crop this distraction away while still retaining the framing effect of the tops leaves.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 01/15/18 at 10:50 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The collection of glowing colors and leaves look great, Igor.  The sheen on the leaves tells the story of a rainy day well.  For me, there's a sense of abstraction, that has me wishing the leaves in the center were brighter, then my eyes would roam the frame uniformly.  Right now, they mostly circle the edges.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 01/15/18 at 8:38 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is excellent, Igor. I find the composition both balanced and pleasing. I can see a case to crop out that central branch at top but to my eyes it is not a deal breaker. Other than that processing looks spot-on to me.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 01/16/18 at 05:27 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Great colors and effective composition, Igor. It is nice so discover old images that now are better than when we took them. 

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 01/16/18 at 8:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

One of your very best Igor. An absolute thrill to view this photograph. 

I must say I am also amazed at the number of winning images you keep pulling out from your archives. Can't wait to see more.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 01/19/18 at 09:17 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Igor, I like this scene a lot. The arrangement of the leaves and the open areas toward the middle make the surrounding leaves provide a neat border to the scene. Can't beat the wonderful colors here also....laugh

I could also see the possible positive side of using a polarizer, but it works just fine as seen here...enlightened 

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chris Chamberlain on 01/19/18 at 8:06 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/07, 500 Posts, 8365 Comments

After fall trips into Oregon and Washington the last two years. The vine maple has become possibly my favorite foliage for fall color! It has such an intense and diverse range of color. And it seems to be prolific on the Olympic Peninsula.
this is a beautiful example of that range of color. Looks pretty cohesive to me also. I like the heavier tree trunks looming in the shadows and filling the gaps. I do think the wetness and sheen lend an additional dynamic to the image.

Chris Chamberlain
Vacaville, CA. 95688

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Chris Chamberlain Gallery of Chris Chamberlain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/19/18 at 9:54 pm EST    

Thank you for all the comments. 

The vine maple is also one of my favorite color subjects in the Cascades as well. That and the green moss that carpets trees and rocks in the wetter parts of the mountains. The vine maple starts to turn red in late August and there are all sorts of color phases before the leaves fall off. One of my favorites is when it's a mixture of red and green. The one to the left of this was pure yellow. It also grows in many environments that give you a range of backgrounds, such as the very dark lava flows. It just needs a good wet season to last through the summer. Otherwise the leaves curl up by the time fall arrives and don't look to hot.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership