Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Pohono Gold
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 01/14/18 at 12:08 am EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Lon Overacker on 01/14/18 at 1:06 pm EST

Almost feel out of place and season posting this warm, autumn reflection on the Merced - given all the frigid winter images recently posted.  Ok, I'm pretty sure it wasn't below freezing in Death Valley. enlightened

The Pohono Bridge marks the beginning of the one-way Yosemite Valley loop road and has been a popular stop for photographers with stone bridge, numerous dogwoods and a short walk to Fern Springs - oh, not to mention the Merced River.  The light was getting good - especially reflecting off the granite walls and fall color in the trees making for nice colors in the river. Kyle, Harley and I spent a bit of time here checking all the angles and possibilities up and down the river.  With an elevated position I was able to capture this one.  

Your honest thoughts, critiques and suggestions are always welcome.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 01/14/18 at 08:57 am EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

This is a very pleasing composition. I like the lines created by the flowing water and the contrast between the white of the water and the color of the river bottom. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 01/14/18 at 09:49 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Lon, I really like your compositional POV and the diagonal flow to the this scene. The amount of rocks and the undulating water is not so excessive to overpower the quiet feel to the site also. For a natural occurrence the rock placement is a real plus overall.
Additionally, the excellent reflective gold colors here help make the simple water scene work very well....laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 01/14/18 at 11:34 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Another fine addition to your Merced River collection, Lon. You nicely arranged the rocks, current, and reflected light in the comp. Looks great as posted. No nits or suggestions from me. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/14/18 at 11:38 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I really like the colors here, Lon. The golds are remarkable but the bluish greens here and there give it good balance. Nicely done.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/14/18 at 3:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Real nice reflection image. I have one from here of the two rocks and left of there. Funny how two togs can stand in the same place at the same time and come away with very different images.  I like this rendition. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/14/18 at 3:52 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Lon, This is great looking frame. This composition is really nice and those golden reflections are special. It has a wonderful flow with the shutter speed you used and very enjoyable to view. Really nice! 

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Silvia Richter on 01/15/18 at 06:02 am EST    
Registered on 02/27/11, 18 Posts, 167 Comments

A wonderful intimate scene to me, Lon. I like the appealing sense of gentle flow, aptly anchored by the steady rocks. Finally the golden reflection really brings your image to life for me.

Silvia

Silvia Richter
Vienna, Austria

All Photos and Comments by Silvia Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 01/15/18 at 10:45 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Excellent work, here Lon, this image has a very strong composition. I like your choice of the semi-panoramic format. I like how you used the golden reflections to essentially serve as frames around the rocks. The light on the reflection to the left of the big rock is simply gorgeous. It's clear that you put a lot of thought into the arrangement of the elements in this scene, nicely done.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 01/15/18 at 10:57 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

This is a great look at the river and it's flow taking advantage of the warm reflections.  The two rocks and the white water around them are perfectly placed in the frame.  I think that some dodging of the gold on the right side would look good.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/15/18 at 11:00 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

My honest thought is that I think this is wonderful, Lon. I like the placement of the rocks along with the diagonal flow of the Merced from URC to LLC and the earth tones finish off the scene. Great SS choice as it has created some lovely textures in the water.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership