Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Big Elk River # 2
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 01/12/18 at 10:35 am EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Nikon D 800
Nikon 17-35 mm
f 18 @ 1/6 sec.
ISO 200
MLU
cable release & tripod
Big Elk River, MD

This is a tighter comp from the same evening as my last post from the Big Elk River. I was not about to try and switch lenses due to the extreme cold and I was not worried about a little bit of cropping with the D800. I think this is a little closer to what Igor and Bill were suggesting.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/12/18 at 1:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This is real nice, Ed. I might be inclined to crop the bottom so that the diagonal line comes in a little ways into the bottom of the frame rather than the right side. I don't see the large smooth area lower left adding to the scene. Love the warm reflection and the contrast with the cool tones. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 01/12/18 at 2:34 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Ed, the color and texture contrasts are very striking.  I like the emphasis on the foreground textures and how they transition into the zig-zag of blue shadow and golden glow at the top.  Like Harley, I could see cropping some off the bottom.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/12/18 at 3:47 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Ed, I really like the blue and yellow tones in this and it is great use of cool and warm tones. The textures are very nice and the only thing I can suggest would be the crop along the bottom as Harley and Mark mentioned. That seems to make it even better for me.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/12/18 at 4:18 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Looks good to me. I like the 'mole' at the llc so I wouldn't crop. Although I can understand the bottom crop. I just think of it as an extra layer.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 01/12/18 at 10:09 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Ed: Me four on the bottom crop although this does work for me as is. Nice job in really trying conditions. >=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/13/18 at 2:13 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Wonderful Ed,

Of course a simpler view, that still also showcases the fascinating shapes on the shore.  The color up top is quite beautiful as well.

I'm torn on the crop, but certainly cropping as suggested I think would be solid alternative.

Excluding the extreme cold... this looks like a place and time where a photographer could have a "field day..." ;-)

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 01/13/18 at 4:45 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

See what you were going for but doesnt quite strike a cord with me personally.  These scenes are always super tricky to convey so appreciate the effort.  Some pretty cool textures and lines all up in there :) 

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 01/14/18 at 09:54 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Ed it's a neat "twofer."
We know what it is, but it also makes a wonderful abstract as well. Very nice indeed. No nits or ideas for change from me.....laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership