Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Impervious
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 01/10/18 at 5:11 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thank you for the comments on my previous image. 

We finally moved on from El Cap meadow and we're heading back to camp for some lunch. We often stop at either the Swinging Bridge or Sentinel Meadow pullout to check any photo options.  I've always been drawn to this stretch of forest and have posted a few images of this area in the past.  I find it quite fascinating how compressed frame like this can really transform these trees to what seems like an impenetrable wall - impervious to any intruder.  B&W was a clear choice for this.

As always, I welcome your honest thoughts, critiques and suggestions.

Single frame at 120mm f/16.  In processing I did use the skew and warp feature to straighten the left hand tree and also to work the right hand tree.  The two "leaners" are leaning naturally and part of my original intent here, but by tweaking the surrounding trees, these two seem to make more of an impact.  Not sure I needed to disclose that or not.  This is also slightly cropped from original.

Thanks!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/10/18 at 5:16 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Love this one! It needs to be viewed large, as NPN is hammering the small version. You are channeling your John Sexton beautifully. Great tones and beautifully composed chaos of all the branches that totally works for me. The tiniest of nits might be to burn the slanting kinda horizontal branches right side but really minor. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/10/18 at 8:58 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Like the pen and ink feel to the image.  These type of BW of yours are among my favorites. Longer lenses to have a magical effect on these kinds of scenes.  The vertical and horizontal lines create some nice tension.  Does look impenetrable. The tree disclosure point is interesting to know, but not necessary in my assessment of the image.  Not like you removed trees or cloned trees into the scene.  I have no problem with this kind artistic license considering the subject matter. 

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 01/11/18 at 09:11 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Lon, I am amazed how much variety you can come away with by shooting these tree abstracts, you have a great talent for these type of scenes. As your eye moves from left to right, the progression of leaning trees almost gives the impression of a series of dominos falling over. and you've really nailed the tonality of the shadows here, they are just perfect.

This is a nitpick, but for the straight tree on the far right, I would slightly dodge the bottom 1/3 of the trunk, as presented it is so dark that it recedes, but I think a little dodging would place more emphasis on it.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 01/11/18 at 10:33 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Lon, this is very nice. I like the rigidity of all the straight trees offset by the two leaners, as well as the structure of the trees against the chaos of the branches. It takes a great eye to isolate a scene like this from what, I'm sure, is chaos of the surroundings.

I think Ed's recommendation to burn that rightmost tree a little bit is a good one. It is quite a bit darker than the rest of the trees.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/11/18 at 7:20 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

The large version is totally mesmerizing, Lon. All kinds of lines and a beautiful range of tones in this beauty. What really elevates this another notch for me is those two diagonal trees crossing all those vertical trunks behind them. Amazing image and a great find.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 01/11/18 at 8:45 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

As Harley said, “Sextonesque” for sure.  I love the darkness of the background and the glow of the trunks.  Very artistic presentation, Lon.  I love it. 

Ps.  I don’t think tweaking things that are already in the image even worth the mention.  I tend to think of the finished product and not the process.  Sure I’d want to know if things were added, the rest not so much.  

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 01/12/18 at 2:04 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Lon, an interesting view into this "impenetrable" forest.  the two diagonal trees add some important tension.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/12/18 at 4:42 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Lon, It is pretty amazing the difference it makes when one looks at the detailed view. I like this a lot just as it is when I look at that version. I think this composition really works and the detail and textures are impressive. Excellent!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 01/12/18 at 11:34 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

This is extraordinary, Lon.  The large image is one of those you just like to sit back and explore all the fine details one moment and then in the next moment you just want to take in the entire image as a whole. I have absolutely no nits.  Beautiful composition and perfect post processing.  Well done!

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/13/18 at 07:40 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I have come back to this one a few times and it worth a second comment. It really is a beauty. It is absolutely up there at the top of my favorite Lon images and that is quite a high standard. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 01/13/18 at 11:48 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Lon: Really good vision to extract this comp from the scene. There is a lot to explore and the overall texture is exceptionally nice. Most excellent.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/13/18 at 1:27 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions folks!  Really appreciate them.

Ed McGuirk - thanks for the idea of dodging the tree on the right.  I think I will - thanks for the suggestion.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 01/14/18 at 12:13 am EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

I really like the way you made a pleasing composition out of a place that is very chaotic. The B&W works very well for this image.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 01/15/18 at 03:03 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

I really like this type of image, Lon. Very intimate scene, the image reveals its spirit the more you looking at it. Well done IMO.

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership