Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Big Elk River + repost
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 01/10/18 at 1:38 pm EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments
Post last edited by Ed Lowe on 01/11/18 at 7:01 pm EST

Nikon D800
Nikon 17-35 @ 28 mm
f 18 @ 1/15 sec.
ISO 200
MLU cable release & tripod
Big Elk River, MD

This particular evening did not start out to well as I forgot my inner pair of silk gloves, then we got out onto the ice a little later than I wanted, then the first shutter release did not work so I missed out on a couple of shots I would have liked to have gotten. All is good though as I got three keepers that I like. It would have been nice to have stayed a little longer but It was just so cold and I had already lost some feeling in a couple of fingers so it was time to quit before things got really bad.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 01/10/18 at 1:49 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Comment last edited by Mark Seaver on 01/10/18 at 1:50 pm EST

Ed, a fine looking sunset and a great set of foreground ice patterns.  I really like the hints of color reflected in the ice and your emphasis on the ice.  I know well about the cold, finding it hard to stay exposed for more than about 15-20 minutes even when well bundled up...

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 01/10/18 at 2:03 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

I love the wonderful FG and the beautiful sunset colors, but the blue eye is killing it for me.  The brightness of the blue sky essentially makes this 2 different images in one.  You either look at the sky, or you look at the FG and sunset.  I might suggest a rather severe crop to reduce or eliminate the brighter area up top which would bring the viewer's attention back to the middle of the image, to those beautiful patterns in the sand.  Just my .02 cents, of course.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/10/18 at 2:34 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Have to agree with Bill on this one. The fg is just so darn good that I'd hate sharing it with that sky. I would crop to include all of the sand reflections and below for starters. Maybe burn in the gold bright if it's still overwhelming. You could also create a fine square image of the bottom area that's mostly blue and punch out those warm tones. You said you had 3 keepers. Somehow I get the feeling that the next 2 may be something like what's suggested.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/10/18 at 4:38 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Comment last edited by Lon Overacker on 01/10/18 at 4:49 pm EST

Ed,

Kudos for you guys that get out there in such extreme temps.  We may hit 60 today or tomorrow, so I can't really feel your pain. sad angel

Beautiful scene and the ice formations upfront are just amazing!  I'm having similar thoughts as Bill and Igor - there's a lot going on, which are presenting several positive options.

As presented I also agree there's a competition between a beautiful sky - and an abstract foreground.  I'm thinking two alternatives:

1. Crop down to remove most of the upper blue sky. Leave the darker clouds, pinks, etc. (make it simple, just about 50% crop above the horizon.  The colors in the remaining clouds are closer and somewhat mimic the colors in the ice and I think it's a more cohesive comp and not as much competition of parts.

2. Second option, although maybe not as good, would be to crop up from the bottom if you wanted to retain the beautiful sunset sky. How much cropping from bottom and/or top to avoid a 50/50 comp would be a personal choice of course - and may not be the most pleasing option

3. Actually, the other viable option is just the ice!  Fabulous ice abstract that can stand on it's own.

Well, sorry if I'm carving this up too much.  The image is quite striking as presented.  I can only speak for myself, but some times we get carried away with what we might do with OTHER PEOPLE's images....  

Lon

EDIT.  Actually Ed, after posting my comments and leaning back in my chair looking at the image in this post, this is actually quite a good "Rule of thirds" composition and simply by the amount of space given to the sky/sunset (1/3 approx) you've told us the ice is the subject and the sky is the complementing element.  So I'll revise and quit while I'm behind.  Perhaps just a smaller crop to eliminate the white wispy cloud up top.

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/10/18 at 4:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Great fore patterns and color against the warm sky. I jumping on board with the top crop suggestion. For me, the foreground is the meat of the image and less sky would make it jump out a lot more. Looks real nice as presented, but I think a crop would be worth strong consideration. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 01/10/18 at 7:50 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

I think a crop from the bottom and not the top is the way to go for me.
Taking the dark gray off the bottom makes the sky work well with the rest of the image IMO.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 01/11/18 at 09:20 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Ed, you know it's cold in the Northeast when it looks like this in Maryland. As other comments have indicated, there is potential here for having two main subjects, and leaving the viewer questioning which is dominant and which is complimentary. I actually like the contrast between the warm tones in the sky and the cool tones in the ice. So i think both can work together. I agree with Dan Kearl, crop some from the bottom, getting rid of a lot of the ice in darkest shadow, but keeping the strong diagonal crack in the ice. My only nitpick is that I would reduce the saturation of the yellows slightly (especially right around the sun)

I hope you took some abstract shots of just the ice patterns as well, as other comments have indicated, they would make a great stand alone subject.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/11/18 at 7:00 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions everyone; always appreciated. Here is a repost addressing some of your crop suggestions. I did not go further as my next post has no sky.

Lon: I had to laugh with the "so I can't really feel your pain."sad

Bill & Igor: I think my next post will be closer to what you are suggesting.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 01/11/18 at 8:07 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

This is really beautiful, Ed.  I think I agree with Dan and Ed about a crop from the bottom.  There is a lot of impact from the sand/ice patterns.  At first glance, I thought the bigger diagonal patterns of the immediate foreground were demanding a lot of in your face attention.  Not a bad thing, I just happen to like the next set of ice patterns better.  They point into the frame nicely and provide a nice balance with the sky.   It looks great as presented.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/12/18 at 12:33 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Ed,

The repost is fantastic!  thanks for considering the suggestions and taking the time to rework.  Looking forward to the next image.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership