Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Arctic Blast & Alt. x 2
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 01/09/18 at 10:30 am EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Harry Lichtman on 01/11/18 at 8:40 pm EST

The real cold temps have past along the NE coast and so have the unique photo opportunities that came with them.  This was along Long Sands Beach in York, ME. About  -6 F this morning with sea smoke in the distance.  Single exposure.  I did take some horizontals, but I thought the vertical was better able to direct the viewer to the FG elements, cupped by the bottom framing ice.

810D, 24-120mm @ 24 mm.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/09/18 at 11:05 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Brrrr, that is chilly!!! I am really liking the foreground patterns and blue tones leading out to the sea smoke and nice color gradient in the sky. It feels a little tight on the sides to me. Not sure what was lurking on the right, but this might be interesting to see in a landscape orientation. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Daniel Rappaport on 01/09/18 at 11:07 am EST    
Registered on 09/09/09, 294 Posts, 2006 Comments

Beautiful shapes and textures.  Almost seems as two separate images at first, but it works for me.  

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Daniel Rappaport Gallery of Daniel Rappaport

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/09/18 at 11:25 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Gasp. This is one fine image. In addition to many of it's great qualities I like how the sunlit shore at the bottom curves around the rocks. I think that adds a lot to the image. This is excellent.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 01/09/18 at 11:26 am EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Brrrrr. This is a marvelous shot that definitely communicates cold. The bottom 2/3 of the image is fascinating with all those swirls and clumps, and the sea smoke is so unique. The soft light and blue cast is perfect. The plain sky contrasts nicely with all the textures on the sea. Not too tight on either side for my taste...just looks like a slice of a very cold morning.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 01/09/18 at 12:38 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Harry, if there is something like the decisive moment in landscape photography, you have got it I think! I really appreciate that there is just a subtle hint of direct sunlight in your image. The composition within the vertical format leads me nicely from the amazing foreground elements into the depth, always keeping my attention within the frame.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/09/18 at 6:00 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

Beautifully, frickin' cold... ;-)  Fabulous near/far image - there is so much to take in and enjoy with this, and yes, even the frozen temps.  I really like the curve of the formation at the bottom, framing and anchoring the composition (I'm kinda wishing for more at the very bottom, but that's quite minor.)

What really tops this off is the presence of the sun just at that moment of appearing - as Peter put it, that "decisive moment."  Well done on that count!  and that decisive moment that brings the light to the foreground ice - as Igor already points out.  (I'm just copying what everyone else says.)

Seriously, a very beautiful winter scape.  No nits from me.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 01/09/18 at 6:14 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Very nice job on this one Harry, it looks like you had great conditions at York too. I really like your choice to compose this as a vertical, it creates such a sense of depth. With these killer foreground ice formations, some folks might have gone horizontal with this image. But you have some interesting ice floes in the mid-ground as well, and I think a vertical composition provides for a stronger foregound / midground / background transition between the key elements.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 01/09/18 at 8:50 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Kudos on this, excellent vertical landscape scene.
The only thing I might like to see is the image warmed up a tad.
Blue looks cold, but maybe a bit less blue caste would a bit more "sunset".

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 01/09/18 at 9:01 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Very unique conditions indeed.  Way to get after it. And not freeze :P

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/10/18 at 08:51 am EST    
Comment last edited by Harry Lichtman on 01/10/18 at 08:53 am EST

Clicking Image will open a Larger Image

Here is the wider view, stitched with 2 horizontal images.  My lens wasn't wide enough to do a single capture - or I would have had to move too far back from the FG to include all of the elements, which would have diminished their scale in the image.  I didn't want to change lenses in the conditions and quickly changing light, so this was my only option for a more landscape like view.  Just before the sun came above the horizon.  A slightly warmer WB per Dan's observation.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/10/18 at 10:09 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

The compositions of the 2 images are hard to compare fairly because the really great warm light on the fg snow is missing in the repost. Regardless, I think the original is superior. The perspective has changed in the repost giving greater emphasis on the middle ground which I think makes it less impactful. The bottom arc is less impactful in the repost which is weaker. The OP is mainly about the fg while in the repost the fg just doesn't have the impact. In the end for me it's all about emotional impact and the OP has it far more than the repost.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 01/10/18 at 10:18 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

The circular foreground works nice to base the vertical format.  The ice is interesting with its cow patty shapes too.  I wonder about a touch more brightness overall. 

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/10/18 at 1:32 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I much prefer the comp in the repost, but I do miss the sun at the back. Hard call! 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/10/18 at 2:24 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Hard to pick a favorite as they are both beautifully done, but I prefer the repost with the wider view, Harry. I do miss the sun in the repost, but I think the wider view with all those wonderful ice patterns makes up for it. Kudos for braving the cold.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/11/18 at 8:26 pm EST    

I found a slightly later exposure that had a little more of the sun star and more luminosity from the lighting, thought I would post as well.  May be my favorite of the series.  Has a little more room around the ice formations as well.  Single Raw x 2 processing.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 01/11/18 at 8:36 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

yep. #3.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership