Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

After the Storm + color
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 01/07/18 at 1:52 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 01/07/18 at 2:10 pm EST

This was originally shot in color but after the conversion was made everyone seemed to like this version more. I hope it isn't too cliche as a number of posters have stated that they try to get original comps of Yosemite. Since I had never seen this place before, or just didn't pay attention, this was original for me.

A storm was forecast for the valley so I figured there would be good opportunities. When I arrived I was surprised to see how much had been fenced off, which limited the compositions available. I had taken a trail off the road and was lucky to find an area that was open on the Merced. The clouds were lifting so I had to work fast. The comp was changing as I was setting up for this one.

Most viewers had told me that it reminded them of an Adams. It did not look that way in color but after the conversion I could see what they meant. Perhaps I should post the color version as well. I actually preferred it. There is some brush in the lrc that I can't remove and a crop would break the comp for me. So I'm leaving it for now. During the shoot I remember thinking "I'll just fix it in photoshop". Good luck with that. 

Canon 6D, 24-105@24mm, f/18, 1/50sec, ISO100, tripod

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/07/18 at 2:02 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Yep, has that Ansel look. The brush you mention lrc is not ideal but not an image killer.  Pretty scene and sweet tones. Works real well in B&W. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/07/18 at 2:32 pm EST    

Here is the color version. It was processed a bit differently, with less contrast. It's a bit more moodier. This was taken February after all. See large version. Please comment on your preference.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 01/07/18 at 3:11 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

No quibble with either version except the afore-mentioned dark brush in the LRC. I do see two dust bunnies: one near the top, just over the left shoulder of the mountain; one on the URS. 

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 01/07/18 at 3:52 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

B & W is the best for me. The bush does not bother me but is less noticeable isn the B & W.
The sky is also more dramatic.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 01/07/18 at 6:04 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

I like the composition and the low hanging clouds. This works very well in B&W.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/07/18 at 6:31 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

The atmospheric conditions and lighting hitting all the right places as the right times was one of Ansel's hallmarks, though he developed his images to really enhance and make those areas pop.  The contrast of the stark trees against the dark background is perfect.  I think you could crop most of the scrub branches RLC without hurting the comp, but a slight crop of the bottom to remove the closest grasses and still leave a sliver of water might still keep the original ratio.  Looks like you have the tonal range to possibly lift some of the brighter areas in the clouds on right if you wanted to increase the drama in that part of the sky.  I wouldn't have recognized this as Yosemite - probably because I've never been there, but it doesn't remind me of anything I have seen.  Well done.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 01/07/18 at 7:49 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

I prefer the black and white, since the color is not too interesting. I love the white trees against the dark background on the left, and the brush on the right is not very noticeable to me. Quite a few dust bunnies in the clouds to clean up. I wonder about lightening/brightening the clouds directly on the granite cliffs so that they look more white rather than grey. In all, this is a classic Yosemite scene and not one that is too common. Very nice.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 01/07/18 at 8:30 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Hmmm, for me this is a tough choice as I really enjoy both versions.  If I were forced to decide I would probably go with the B&W because of the attractive tones.  The brush in the lec doesn't bother me at this size but it might at a larger size.  Beautiful shot.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 01/07/18 at 9:15 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments
Comment last edited by Marylynne Diggs on 01/08/18 at 11:34 pm EST

I like both, Igor.  They are very different images, with the warmth in the color one making the clearing storm feel more like a relief, while the b/w feels a bit more foreboding still.  The brush on the right is a bit of a distraction to me.  I actually found myself wishing, when I was in Yosemite during a major fire season this summer, that more brush was removed. The native Americans in the area regularly burned the valley, and while it's not politically correct to suggest or admit this, I would actually like to see some very careful controlled burns as the place saw in the 1800s. 

That said, such things are illegal, as is carrying loppers around in a national park indecision, so I would consider cropping off the lowest patch of that brush were it does NOT blend with the background brush.  Or perhaps doing some very careful cloning.

ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/08/18 at 12:44 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Igor,

This version is certainly Ansel-esque. The b&w is clearly the stronger image, IMHO. Stronger because of how the alder stand out beautifully against the darker pines and of course the presence of the rock formation and drama in the surrounding clouds.  The branches in the LR do not bother me - luckily they're dark, otherwise they would be an issue.

The color version to me is just too flat and has lost much of its "pretty" appeal and really  just shows a winter scene on the river with no snow...  (you did mention you reduced the contrast, and I expect that contributes to my reaction to the color version.)

Regarding being cliche? I certainly don't think this one is at all.  I may recognize this as Yosemite, but the majority of folks wouldn't. My comments about "original comps" in Yosemite has much more to do with my own progression photographing Yosemite, than about what anyone else sees or photographs in Yosemite - or any other place for that matter.  If there's drama over Elcap, Half Dome, or a double rainbow over Bridal Veil Falls from Tunnel View, you can be sure I'll photograph it.  It's only been in the last 10 years or so that I really started looking at the smaller, and just as beautiful details.  

You do that as well, and this image shows that.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/08/18 at 1:22 pm EST    

Thanks for your comment, Lon. I guess the term cliche varies from one viewer to another. Have all AA like grand views of Yosemite become cliche if yours is like them? Or are cliche images taken from tourist spots (tunnel view, half dome from the bridge over the merced, yosemite falls through the gap in the trees along the trail)?. I suppose any idea that's imitated repeatedly becomes cliche (like that view at Zabriskie Point).

Like yourself, I started taking more 'targeted images' years ago to the exclusion of grand landscapes. I actually went back to the larger landscapes after I joined NPN because of how predominant they are here. I find them harder to compose and process than the intimates. That is, it takes a greater investment of time to get the right conditions for a good landscape for me. That surprised me.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 01/08/18 at 2:53 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Igor, I much prefer the B&W version, you have done a very nice job on the processing here. Don't worry about cliches, this image has so many interesting elements within it that it stands very well on it's own. This scene spoke to you, and you have a very nice interpretation of Yosemite here.

Since no one else has mentioned it, there is a dust spot in the sky to left of the big peak. While this is perhaps a matter of personal taste, I feel that that the top of the mountain is just a little too tight to the top edge of the frame. Maybe the sky isn't interesting enough to include a lot more sky, but to me the mountain feels slightly cramped as presented.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 01/08/18 at 3:58 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Yes, Igor, this is a view that is very reminiscent of the "classic" b&w work of Adams and others of that time.  Maybe because of that visual connection, I much prefer the b&w version with it's fine emphasis on the lower ridge, the structures in the clouds and the improved visibility of the trees on the island.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 01/09/18 at 1:12 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Igor, I like both versions of this quite a lot. The B&W is definitely my favorite, but the color is excellent as well. I love the light on the island trees against the darker trees in back. The LR branches don't bother me much.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Silvia Richter on 01/09/18 at 1:40 pm EST    
Registered on 02/27/11, 18 Posts, 167 Comments
Comment last edited by Silvia Richter on 01/09/18 at 4:16 pm EST

Igor, I think the b&w version fits in best with the atmosphere of this scene. There is a certain kind of graphic quality that really brings the image to life for me.

Silvia

PS: my husband Peter is just as well drawn to the b&w :-)

Silvia Richter
Vienna, Austria

All Photos and Comments by Silvia Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 01/10/18 at 10:46 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

The b/w definitely for me.  I know, surprising right?  I do think the brush LR is problematic.  Perhaps not at this size, but it quickly becomes a bigger part of the image than it should be.  I have spent 40 or more hours cloning, ( mostly halos from the tracery of trees occurring from focal blends).  It was a labor of love, because I like doing it and the image was worth it to me.  It made a great print.  I think this has that appeal to me.  It will make a great print, classic with a wonderful tonal range.   Amazing that it only takes a few of those ” I’ll fix it in Photoshop” moments to fix that impulse.  Love the comp and the row of dark trees form a wonderful counter  balance to both the foreground and the arc of the peak.  Excellent.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/10/18 at 10:54 pm EST    

It's nice to hear from you Gary. It's been a while.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 01/10/18 at 11:07 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

I prefer the B&W version.  The clouds in the upper right could use slightly more tonal contrast for my taste.  The image has a good range of blacks to whites with the bare trees on the left standing out well against the dark evergreens.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/12/18 at 6:51 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 01/12/18 at 6:53 pm EST

Igor, I like the b&w version the best. It really works for this image and is a pleasure to view. I see what you mean about the brush in the lower right corner but I sure don't have the Photoshop skills to take care of that either. The rest of the image draws me away from that anyway so it doesn't really bother me (at least at this size). I like this view very much and would not want to crop enough of the right side to eliminate the brush. Yes, the dust spots can go but that is a given anyway. Very nice conversion.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership