Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Quiet Merced Autumn +RP
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 01/05/18 at 4:12 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Lon Overacker on 01/06/18 at 3:11 pm EST

Thanks to everyone who made comments and suggestions on my last images.  And a special thanks to Bill Chambers for his offer to work up an alternative.  We've exchanged emails and I may post an alternate later. I think you'll like it, I know I do.

Nothing earth shaking here - taken just a few minutes after the previous Alder images.  Very few things are more enjoyable than walking along the Merced in Yosemite... or the gulf coast of Florida, the canyons of the Columbia River gorge... or any other place that we get to call our nirvana.

Comments and suggestions always welcome.  
Single image, D800E, Nikon 28-300@105mm, f/16

Thanks!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/05/18 at 7:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Lon, the textures and detail are wonderful. The large version is the ticket here. You might consider a slight crop from he right side. There is a dark area in the forest just above that grassy spot that catches my eye. Doing so would also better balance the composition.

As usual, your processing is excellent. The warm willows against the dark, cool, forest work very well. I like that the reflection does not overpower the willows.

Fine job!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 01/06/18 at 11:54 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments
Comment last edited by Bill Chambers on 01/06/18 at 12:05 pm EST

Lon, I first opened this last night when my eyes were tired and knew immediately that I loved it, but I wanted to see it with fresh eyes before responding.  Well, I'm up, have choked down b'fast, and my eyes are as good as they're going to get so here goes.  In my 12 years I've been a member of NPN I have seen innumerable wonderful images for so many fine shooters, but I must say, for my tastes and my style of shooting, I think this may be the finest, most beautiful image I've viewed and studied in my 12 years here.  This has it all.  Is it perfect?  Not quite, but it's so close. 

Even with fresh eyes, the beautifully colored main subject doesn't look quite in focus (on my small laptop), but this is not a negative comment at all; in fact, I LOVE that.  It looks more like small paint daubs against a more critically focused background.  I don't know if you intended to produce that effect or if it's just because I've viewing it on a 15" monitor.  I'll check it later on my 30" monitor.  I love the dark shadows and the dark, but still plainly visible and sharp foliage in the BG.  I love the darker yet still colorful foliage in the BG as well.  There's such a wonderful variety of colors, tones, and textures here.  It is an amazing image!  I would like to know the full story behind this.

I do agree with Preston's crop advice, but I certainly wouldn't overdo it; maybe crop only 3-4% off the right.  The only other area that bothers me is the angle of the bare tree's reflection, caused by some lens distortion.  The tree itself has a slight left lean but the reflection's lean is more dramatic.  I would think that would be easily fixed in post processing but it might alter the image to a degree where other elements are even more distorted or even lost.  Something to play with anyway.  That's not a huge negative, just something that caught my eye.  

All in all, what a magnificent effort and result. It's reminiscent of a painting from an old master.  The pallette and style sort of brings Joseph Mallord William Turner to mind, one of my favorite artists.  You've knocked this one WAYYYY out of the park, my friend.  

EDIT:  Well, I have to eat my words.  I took a quick screenshot (I apologize for not asking permission first) and viewed the image on a grid and the reflection angle matches the tree's angle perfectly; I guess it's just a slight optical illusion on my part.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/06/18 at 12:41 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

A beautiful tranquil scene. It's interesting how your style always distinguishes your images from others - usually by subject matter and processing. What I find most appealing in this image are the colors, the yellowish brown on a canvas of dark bluish green. Can't find much to suggest. The light tree reflection going out of the frame isn't that great. I wonder if anyone would care or notice if it was absent. There's a bright area next to the tree reflection, lower left, that could be burned in or cloned out but that's pretty picky.   The black log below the willows really stands out. I think it's a good thing as it gives a point of focus but you could dodge it to put more emphasis on the willows or just to add texture to it. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Reno DiTullio on 01/06/18 at 12:58 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 130 Posts, 1644 Comments

Gorgeous, tranquil scene, Lon, love the muted colors, well done.

Reno - Salinas, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Reno DiTullio Gallery of Reno DiTullio

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/06/18 at 3:10 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Wow, great feedback!  Here's a repost with some changes - all great suggestions!

Preston - funny, just after sizing/saving for the web I noticed the black hole on the right and thought about taking care of that. Instead, thought, what the heck, see if anyone says anything.  Sure enough, very first comment.  angel  I actually only cropped a very little bit. I mostly did some cloning and content-aware fill.  I still wanted to retain some openness on the right.

Bill, High compliments very much appreciated. The painterly effect on the leaves is probably just the sharpening for the web. Those tiny willow leaves are pretty detailed @100% and so I'm sure the resizing has much to do with that.  As far as any story behind the image, I might disappoint and say there's not a real story - at least one that I haven't already told.  There's just a couple things I'm after when in Yosemite (or out photographing the great outdoors,) and that is to absorb everything I can absorb just by being there and secondly to see things and come away with images from Yosemite that are just hardly every seen, noticed or photographed.  Sometimes the truth is just better left unsaid.  Just 50 yards or so behind the forest wall, is Southside Dr. with cars and buses whizzing by....   Hard to truly get away from it all in Yosemite Valley... 

Igor, thanks for your comments and suggestions as well.  You're right, I don't think anyone would notice cloning out part of the tree reflection - at least someone off the street or had I done before hand.  Also cloned out a few things in the river. Also, good call on the old log below the willow.  I thought this was pretty clever... rather than dodging, I duplicated the bg layer, then using the grayish/brown patch of leaves/gravel to the right and below the willow as the source, I cloned on to the face of the rock at a low opacity on that layer, I think about 25%.  

I think I used all the suggestions! Great ones. Always appreciate the chance to make our images better! Thank You!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 01/06/18 at 3:25 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

I find this interesting in that the lighting and contrast are so similar to your previous post, with there being a "pointillist painting" sense in the way that the leaves stand out.  The slightly tighter view and extra processing in the repost are subtle but nice improvements.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/06/18 at 4:58 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is absolutely gorgeous, Lon. Even more so in the repost as you took care of what I was going to suggest. This has a lovely painterly touch to it that I find very relaxing and tranquil. You do these kinds of scenes so beautifully and they do provide so much more material than the icons in Yosemite. Great work as usual.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 01/06/18 at 9:40 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Beautiful image, Lon. The title certainly conveys the mood you captured. Not much to criticize or suggest. Like Preston, I think I'd prefer this with a slight crop off the right. I also would mind a bit more room on the bottom. But, overalll, it;s beautiful and well processed.  

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/07/18 at 1:51 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Real nice take from autumn Yosemite. Not up there with my all-time Overackers but quite nice. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 01/07/18 at 6:11 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

Nice color, composition and reflection. The muted color and light gives that feeling of the changing seasons. Nice image. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 01/08/18 at 2:22 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Lon, this is a very pleasing, tranquil scene. I love the color pallette that you have here, the various shades of greens are amazing. In many autumn scenes it's very easy for yellow to dominate, but I like how you kept the yellow less saturated, which allows for the complexities of the greens to come through. My only nitpick is that the little yellow bush in the center has it's reflection ever so slightly cropped off by the bottom edge of the frame. I'd like to see the entire reflection of that center bush included, since it is so close to the edge. I'm okay with the reflection of the larger bush to the right being cropped.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership