Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Decision, Take II
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 01/03/18 at 9:55 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thank  you so much for your comments, suggestions and for indicating a preference on my previous post.  Rather than drag that one out and reposting, I decided to start over.  In fact I went back to the RAW file for both and started over.

I appreciate the honest comments and reactions.  I think the varied array of comments and preferences kinda indicate that either/both are not particularly strong images.  But something about the starkness of the bare tree against the varied background and other elements there's got to be some potential, I'm thinking.

I've incorporated some advice and suggestions.  Initially, the lean of the tree didn't bother me.  But combined with some comments about balance and empty spaces, I think the rotation and resulting crop improved the 2nd rendition, so I'm posting first this time. The crop also reduced the bare verticals in the LL, so I think that's an improvement.  And I think the pine greens in this version work well to balance the colors and space.

Also, I think it was Preston who mentioned brightening the bare tree itself.  In looking back at what I posted I was finding the previous image to be flat. One of the reasons I reprocessed.  In both versions here I boosted the bare tree to help separate from the bg a bit more.

Anyway, 'nough said.  Not asking for a preference this time, but am wondering if either or both of these images are an improvement of the first try.

Thanks!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/03/18 at 9:57 pm EST    

Here's the other rework, with is the same image file as the original posted a couple days ago, here.

Thanks for any comments,

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 01/03/18 at 10:33 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

This is far superior to your earlier post IMHO.  I still don't care for the short bare branches in the extreme left bottom, but the brightening of the tree really brings this image to another level.  Even then, however, this is not an image that really thrills me, which is sad because the bare tree itself, especially brightened, is a fantastic subject.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/03/18 at 11:19 pm EST    

Thanks Bill for your honesty. 

Ya know, one of the reasons I continue posting and commenting here, is that we don't have to love every image that's posted, and certainly don't expect everyone to love what we post.  Honest opinions are all we're looking for.  

One thing is certain that I think we all can agree upon, is that the feedback is valuable and more often than not, we are improving our work when we consider that feedback.

Thanks!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 01/04/18 at 10:19 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

I also think "Take II" is a major improvement, Lon. I like the way the bare tree stands out, and I think straightening the tree is a big improvement as well. My only nit are the small, bare vertical trunks or branches in the far LLC, but this is minor. Overall, I like it.  I appreciate the rework and being able to see the changes. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 01/04/18 at 1:53 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

Lon, I think the rework is the best rendition. There is nothing else there that offends the eye (amazing what a difference straightening the tree made).

Nature seldom gives a perfect picture that fits in a square/rectangular format. My opinion  is formed around what commands or dominates the scene; and here, the tree certainly does. All the rest of the scene supports that subject. Any imperfections are just lumps in a beautiful and tasty gravy.laugh

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/04/18 at 1:57 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Even though I liked the prior post the brightening of the tree has elevated this another notch, Lon. I am still leaning; pun intended; toward the second version here. It just seems more natural and relaxed with the tree at a slight angle where as the other seems to rigid and structured. I hope that makes sense.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Julia Flanagan on 01/04/18 at 2:10 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/03, 59 Posts, 986 Comments

Lon, I like this new version with the lightened bare tree.  Would you mind explaining your processing to "boost" the bare tree?  The lightening does not seem to have affected the remainder of the image, but I'm puzzled as to how you did this given the very fine branching of the bare tree.

Thanks,
Julie

Julie
Bristow, Virginia
"How many are your works, O LORD! In wisdom you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures." Ps.104:24.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Julia Flanagan Gallery of Julia Flanagan

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 01/04/18 at 2:38 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Lon, I really like this version of the image a lot (much stronger than the earlier post). This is an amazing tree, and I like how you lightened it in the re-post, it really pops out from the background now. I also like the slight lean too, it makes the image more dynamic. I love having both the yellow and rust colored foliage, the dark rusty foliage (oaks?) in the background really makes the tree stand out. I also like how you chose to crop the branches on the right side of the tree and not show the entire tree. I think that crop places more emphasis on the interesting shaped branches on the left side of the tree. This is a very stark image, but has a lot of impact with me.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/04/18 at 6:33 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Lon Overacker on 01/04/18 at 6:35 pm EST

Thanks for the comments folks! And for the validation of the rework.  As I've said, the feedback we get is so helpful in improving our work and images. So Thanks!

Any imperfections are just lumps in a beautiful and tasty gravy.laugh - Phil

Phil - LOL, one of the best photographic analogies I can remember! sad

Would you mind explaining your processing to "boost" the bare tree?

Julia, thank you for your comments - and what a great question, thanks for asking! With out writing a novel, which I tend to do... I'll try and summarize a few things.  As we all know, there are countless ways on accomplishing things in Photoshop.  And my disclaimer? I have no idea if my methods are the best, most efficient or least destructive in PS. One thing I have learned though is that questions like this are what spur me to learn more about image processing.  Having said that, I was able to increase the luminosity of the tree in a number of ways. But first, you are correct that it would be quite impossible to select the tree itself with all the tiny branches and color/tone variations to make specific adjustments to the tree.  The MAIN key (at least for me) is to address adjustments to tones, color, luminosity, saturation, etc., rather than trying to select objects like a single tree. Keeping that in mind, here are a few things I did:
1. Starting in RAW, I used the Luminance in the HSL(Hue, Saturation, Luminance) adjustment.  Knowing that the tree contains more blue/cyan and very light tones compared to the rest of the image, I boosted the luminance values of blue and cyan.  Now these are global adjustments so the cyan was also picked up in the color/luminance of the pine trees. But that's ok.  I also made Clarity and Vibrance adjustments as I do with most images.
2. Once in PS a great way to adjust luminosity without affecting color is by using a B&W layer (or a Hue/Sat layer can be used too.) The key though is to use these adjustment layers with the Blending mode set to Luminosity.    Here I did the same thing as in RAW and increased the sliders for the blue and cyan adjustments.  This actually turns out to be a pretty good sample image for this technique. The reason I say this because the yellows are concentrated in the willow, the reds mostly in the rusty oak leaves (as well as in the willow) and the greens of the pine/cedar - although I've let them go fairly dark. So I could also tweak the yellows/reds/greens to go a little darker, which by default make the white-ish (with blues and cyans) appear lighter.  Hope that makes sense
3. The other round about way to make the tree stand out is to increase contrast - lights go lighter, darks, darker.  Any number of ways to do this. One tip I picked up somewhere was the use of LAB mode (instead of RGB.) Now this is a topic for an entire tutorial and there are lots of them out there. I'll link to one.  But I've been using a duplicated layer I process in LAB Color mode and add it to the layer stack using a variety of Blending modes and opacities. Mostly use Soft Light, Overlay, but also Normal works as does Color and Saturation blending modes.  Here's one tutorial. Or just google "using LAB Mode in Photoshop" and you'll get tons - some quite advanced and complex. The link above is one of the more simple ones.
4. Another way to increase contrast or give an image a little punch is using a Curves or Levels Adj layer.  The trick is to just add the Adjusment layer, but do not make any adjustments.  Simply change the blending mode to Soft Light and change opacity to taste. Real simple.  Got that one from Mr. Preston Birdwell!  Thanks buddy!  

Attaching a rough idea of what the layers look like.

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you need more clarification.

Lon

thanks again everyone for your help!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 01/04/18 at 6:58 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Lon, I keep coming back to this image because of the wonderful bare tree.  It's just too good to leave behind.  I would like to offer suggestions on how to make it more pleasing (to me), but I really don't have any.  I would like to play with it some - may I have your permission to capture a screen shot and play with it a little?  If you would prefer that I not, I certainly understand. If granted permission and I come up with anything I like I will email to you and not post it here.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/04/18 at 8:18 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Processing of the tree looks great Lon.  I can remember an image of yours using similar trees, maybe a BE that I thought was much better from a compositional standpoint.  The stark tree within the context of the other trees still doesn't grab me. Maybe a tighter view of the tree and it's branches would be stronger for me. The brightening of the tree does make it stand out more and creates more dimension.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/04/18 at 9:04 pm EST    

Bill - Absolutely and I appreciate you asking and offering to take a look and offer alternate suggestions.  I am more than happy to send a more appropriate RAW file if you want that.  But certainly you can start with the screen shot.  Drop me an email any time.

Harry - 

I can remember an image of yours using similar trees, maybe a BE that I thought was much better from a compositional standpoint

Not sure if a typo, but I can't figure out what "BE" is?

Thanks all!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/05/18 at 7:34 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I like what you did with the light on the main tree, and on the rework in general, but I think the composition with the leaning tree has more emotional impact, and shows the forest as it truly is. 
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 01/06/18 at 3:11 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Lon, I like the increased contrast and the extra view of the bare tree in Take II.  Your processing has created a combination of starkness and mystery that make this easy to look at repeatedly.  To me, enjoying repeated views is what good photography is all about.  The bare verticals in the lower left are both somewhat distracting and interesting.  In the long run, I think they add to the atmosphere.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/07/18 at 1:49 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Yep, this one works for me. Nice job on the repost. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership