Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Fashion Shoot + repost
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 01/03/18 at 2:44 pm EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments
Post last edited by Ed Lowe on 01/04/18 at 1:45 pm EST

Nikon D800
Nikon 35-70 @ 52 mm
f 18 @ 1/25 sec.
ISO 800
cable release & tripod
Acadia NP, ME

I know, where did I come up with the title for this image. Well there is a story that goes with it. Mike and I were scouting for images while driving along the park loop road one rainy morning when he spotted some sumac that he thought was interesting. He parked the vehicle and we got out. I walked down the road just a little bit to check out this nice little birch grove and decided to go back and get my equipment.

As always seems the case when people see a vehicle parked they have to do the same as though they are going to miss out on something. Well before I could get back several vehicles had parked in front of us. Out of one van an ensemble of people piled out and headed for this exact spot. A couple of men had their cameras and started taking pictures of a woman as she moved about the trees. I had to stand around with my gear and endure this for what seemed like an eternity as she changed outfits a couple of times.

I really had to bite my tongue; which I don't always do as Mike can attest to. I just keep telling myself that it was their NP too; but I doubt that they were there to enjoy the great outdoors. Anyway they finally wrapped it up and I was able to get this image before it started raining to hard.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Gavin on 01/03/18 at 3:31 pm EST    
Registered on 08/14/08, 293 Posts, 1250 Comments

Beautiful image, but it seems to lack something. Not sure what but----I just figured it out---needs a model in the trees- perhaps in different locations-she could just move about the trees. Sorry. Couldn't resist. 
I like the softness (good soft) and the almost pastel colors. Very quiet and pleasant scene. I can see (imagine?) a barely perceptible pathway that winds through the trees beginning mid bottom.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Gavin Gallery of Jim Gavin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 01/03/18 at 3:58 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

Very pleasant scene Ed. Fun story behind it too. I wonder if they had their filming permit????

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/03/18 at 9:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Great story Ed!  I too was wondering about permits.  I suppose this could have been a personal, non-professional activity, but when someone appears to be "modeling" then I'm guessing they would need permits.  Especially if there were any assistance out there with reflectors, etc.

Now I can see why you wanted to wait... it's a wonderful scene.  I really like the open and inviting woods and the starkness of the trees.  This is nicely composed as well.

Processing looks like this could use some contrast and to me, the color balance looks a little on the yellow side (duh, given the autumn foliage...)  Maybe drop a 1/2 stop in exposure and boost the contrast a small bit.  This one has great potential.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 01/03/18 at 11:24 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Very nice image, the trees look great and nice soft light...
The only thing I might do is clean up the FG a bit if you wanted, I might clone out a couple of small branches.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 01/04/18 at 12:14 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Funny story!  (If I were there experiencing it, it wouldn't have been so funny!!).

A lovely woods scene, alive with color and texture.  Bear in mind, this next comment is based on me viewing this on a crappy 14" uncalibrated work laptop, but it appears kinda flat and in need of added contrast.  Other than that, no other nits at all.  Well done.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/04/18 at 1:45 pm EST    

Thanks for your thoughts everyone; always appreciated. Here is a repost with your suggestions of a little more contrast and dropping the exposure a tad.
Jim: Good one; I had to chuckle with the model suggestion.
Ed & Lon: I am pretty sure it was personal and not commercial as they appeared to be family. Either way it was annoying.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 01/04/18 at 2:26 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Ed, nice job with this one, the comments you incorporated into the repost make it better. Trying to make order out chaos in a forest is not easy, but you have done a good job here. I especially like how you managed to include some slightly leaning trees, those diagonal lines add a nice dynamic element to this scene.

A few years ago I was shooting at Sabbaday Falls, NH in autumn when a professional photographer for a Chinese Brides magazine appeared with 3 models.The models kept changing in and out of various traditional Chinese wedding dresses (behind sheets held by assistants) and they would pose with the falls in the background. It was kind of interesting to watch how the photographer went about his business.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/04/18 at 4:00 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

The repost is an improvement. I kept comparing this one to your previous one and that was probably a mistake. Nevertheless, the 2 birch trees framing the image seem to close to the edges. Backing up a bit would have been nice. Unlike the previous image the front row of birches don't invite you to explore the background. Woodland compositions can be tricky.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/04/18 at 5:51 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Ed,

Thanks for taking the time and reposting.  Small changes, but to my eye certainly an improved image.  For me, just the spacing and/or grouping of the trunks make this an inviting forest scene.

Can't put my finger on it, but there's something about the whiteness/brightness and starkness of the trunks.  Maybe it's just inherit in the species, lighting, etc.  Don't know how to describe it... maybe like the trunks are superimposed in the scene?  Not sure if that makes any sense.  Anyway, it's not a bad thing, just my weird observation.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/06/18 at 4:20 pm EST    

Thanks for your thoughts Igor and Lon.
Igor: The original actually has a little more room on the left; I cropped it a bit as a couple of trees were even closer to the edge. Here is the original for comparison.
Lon: I know what you mean about the birch trees looking somewhat like they were superimposed as I had the same exact thought when I was working on the image. Just must be the even lighting on the white trunks of the birches.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/06/18 at 6:53 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I don't know what others think but for me the original (aka OP) is a stronger composition. The bg birches close to left frame weren't really that problematic. If you feel that they are you could dodge the fg birch on the left to match the right?

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 01/06/18 at 9:48 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

I like the scene and the comp, Ed. really nice. Something about the color just looks off to me, however, making the trees somewhat "ghostly"  and lacking detail, and the overall scene to have a slightly yellow cast. Certainly an image worth working on but image processing, and therefore image processing recommendations, are not my strong suit, to say the least. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 01/07/18 at 09:27 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

With the slight semicircular forest floor in the foreground, and the larger birches on the edges, the viewer can be drawn through the opening in the middle.  Even with the repost, I can see adding a little more midtone contrast.  Saturation looks fine.  The light seems flat and it might be difficult to get some light/dark directional shading on the tree trunks.  I am trying visualize the model with a flowing gown wafting through the trees.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership