Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Gulf Hagas Revisited
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 01/01/18 at 8:12 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Large View Included

A small cascade of Screw Auger Falls. This is the vertical comp that I took of a near identical location in a previous post. Maybe lacks some of the mystery of the horizontal comp. as there is limited shadow area.  The lighting was near similar.  A base exposure, and a slightly faster exposure blended to retain water detail.  The slower base exposure was used to maximize image quality at lower ISO since winds were minimal and manageable.  Polarizing filter to reduce glare.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 01/01/18 at 11:53 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

I like this one a lot better than the first.
It has a flow to it that works for me despite what looks like a challenging scene.
Funny that the small leaf, which I assume is natural, makes  the large rock in the foreground look good without being intrusive.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/02/18 at 8:13 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I think this may be better than either horizontal. I prefer the water more and I like the green round rock on right. In general I feel this is a more cohesive statement in that it has fewer elements that are 'extra', if that makes sense. Normally, I like wider verticals but any crop from top or bottom diminishes the image, hence its cohesiveness.  I might dodge the shadows and rock in the llc. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/03/18 at 4:55 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

A dizzying POV for sure, Harry. I like your treatment of the water and your handling of a difficult lighting situation. Is ths Screw Auger Falls in Maine? I ask because Mike and I were there once and it looked pretty inaccessible as far as getting down below the falls.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/03/18 at 5:22 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Ed - There are 2, maybe more Screw Auger Falls in Maine.  This is probably not the common one you will see if you Google Screw Auger Falls Maine that has a huge parking area.  This one is more near Katahdin and Greenville, Maine off the Appalachian Trail.  It did require some iffy down climbing, but was not the main falls - a smaller drop below the main falls.  Lighting was tricky, but the spotlight on the rushing water really caught my eye.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/03/18 at 5:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

Thanks for posting this version.  Works much better for me from a lighting and technical point of view.  I do see though that some of the mystery is taken away.  The shadow areas are much less of an issue now and just like your previous image, you did a great job processing the highlights in the water.  Shutter speed is excellent.  And despite being in the vertical format, I like that there is just enough room on the left to give the viewer a hint of scale, perspective, the drop-off, etc.  Beautifully executed, excellent capture.

The only small suggestions would be a slight burn of the rock in the LRC. I really like the green leaves, the shadow, moss, pine needles in that corner; just a tad bright which of course is a personal preference as clearly it's not overexposed.  The second suggestion is a slight crop from the top to remove the slanted "u" and a little bit of the bright foliage in the ULC.  There's good room up top and a slight crop just tightens things up.  very minor suggestion.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 01/04/18 at 3:15 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Very difficult lighting conditions here Harry , but I think you've done about as well with it as one could. Normally most people shoot waterfalls from the bottom, and have the water flowing towards the viewer. You broke both of these "rules", but in this case I think it actually works and creates a sense of depth that you often don't see in more traditional waterfall images. Given the harsh lighting here, this might be a good candidate for B&W conversion.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership