Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Water Walking
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Man & Nature gallery on 01/01/18 at 7:24 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

I spotted these rapids from 90 feet above and thought the pattern might make for a good slow exposure in the Gulf Hagas in the mountains of central Maine.  The slate lined gorge winds about 3 miles, creating many large named falls and many more un-named cascades such as these.  A hiker-free image didn't seem to have the attraction as one with a hiker for scale, so I set up my self timer and hoped the water flow would send my camera into the drink.. Used a couple of rocks suspended from the center column as insurance to weight it all down.  I needed to place my self in the shadow portion of the gorge behind me so as not to blend into the background.

810D, f16, ISO 40, 3 stop ND filter, 0.5 sec. exposure

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 01/02/18 at 10:25 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Harry, this is very nice. I've never found shooting river scenes in full sunlight to work well for me, but this is excellent. I like your inclusion of yourself for scale and a bit of action.

The small bit of white foam on the left edge toward the bottom distracts just a bit, I might clone that (I think cropping would take too much off the grasses above).

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/02/18 at 3:04 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Thanks Craig - The shot wouldn't have worked as well in other types of lighting as I needed the directional light to highlight the textures of the trees and created a dark, shadowed area for me to move in front of.  The sunlit water allowed the whites to pop more.  Getting the slower shutter speeds for the water was the challenge.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 01/13/18 at 12:30 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Harry: Really well conceived and executed. Good call on a red backpack too. 2 thumbs up.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership