Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

California Dreamin' +rp
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 01/01/18 at 7:14 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 01/07/18 at 2:24 pm EST

Thank you for the comments on the last Alaska image. They were helpful.

My local friends and neighbors respond well to this seascape. Taken between Pescadero and San Gregorio facing north it captures a mood that many of us coasters have grown to like. This is a typical winter day there with a high cloud layer and wind that creates a haze. I'm curious what you think of this.

Canon 6D, 24-105@97mm, f/9, 1/320sec, ISO 100, CPL, tripod

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/01/18 at 8:05 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

I like your title! sad I can see why your friends respond to the image.  Maybe it's the dreamy feel that the mist creates, no distinct horizon and a view into infinity.  I thinking living in this area and experiencing it on a regular basis also helps a view relate to the location and image.  While the lighting is flat, that seems vital to create the mood you were after here.  Maybe wish I could see more of the relief of the coast, but probably not visible from this angle and vantage point.  Might consider cropping the very top dark cloud off the top - draws my eye up there a bit too much.  Would hate to be caught on this beach at high tide.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/01/18 at 8:14 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This has a nice mood, Igor. You might consider cloning that dark spot near the bottom of the second cliff. I like the muted color, and the tones. The processing looks real nice to me.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 01/01/18 at 8:27 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

A thought would be to try a square crop removing the darker UR cloud.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Minish on 01/01/18 at 8:48 pm EST    
Registered on 02/04/06, 625 Posts, 3583 Comments

A beautiful shorescape with lots of depth.  I like the clarity of the near cliffs and there is just enough detail visibility in the far distant, background shoreline to extend the depth of the scene even further.  Nicely done, Igor!

Gary Minish
Valdez, Alaska, USA

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary Minish Gallery of Gary Minish

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 01/02/18 at 01:29 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments
Comment last edited by Peter Richter on 01/02/18 at 01:29 am EST

Igor, it is the combination of dynamics and mystery that bring this image to life for me. I think the diagonals within the square format accentuate the dynamics aptly. The absence of a clearcut horizon keeps me exploring the moving sea vanishing in the distance.

There is only one minor technical aspect I wanted to mention: the edges of the cliffs appear a bit oversharpened to my eye and thereby disrupt the overall atmosphere of the image for me - it should be easy to fix if you go along with that.

Thanks for sharing your experience of this moment!

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/02/18 at 02:55 am EST    

You are absolutely right about the haloing, Peter. Unfortunately many of my images have that and it's not that easy to fix. They are formed by using the quick select tool and making adjustments within selected area. This always leaves visible halo between edges with great tonal difference. Recently, less than a week ago, I found settings that will feather and smooth these borders supposedly. The reason these fixes will be difficult to reproduce is that I didn't make these changes with layers. Multiple changes are made to a file before it's saved, without a historical record. My workflow really sucks. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 01/02/18 at 5:22 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Living on the gulf coast of Florida I'm always amazed to see the beauty of the west coast.  I can only imagine how nice it would be to be down there on the sand, all alone, to experience it.  I love the depth to this image, like it goes on forever; it lets my imagination run wild.

While I like this a lot to view and enjoy, I don't think I would consider this in the same league as your more artistic images.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 01/02/18 at 7:03 pm EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

Gorgeous and gentle colour palette of opposing hues of around the same strength. Very pleasing to the eye.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/02/18 at 7:31 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

So pleasing to view this. Excellent composition and I love the feel / mood this has. The colors are wonderful.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/03/18 at 5:02 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

The subdued lighting and colors work beautifully for this seascape, Igor. This has such a relaxing feel to it and I like the way the BG shoreline and cliffs fade into the clouds. My only suggestion would be to clone out that one dark piece of driftwood? I can see why your friends and neighbors enjoy this view.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/03/18 at 5:32 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Outstanding coastal scenic Igor. For me, this captures the essence of the coast - most especially because of the sea mist/spay that's creating all that atmosphere.  I don't mind, and in fact like the cloud up top - it's not so dark that it's distracting, just a nice dark gray to give the sky/clouds some contrast and definition.

The only suggestion I have would be to reduce the darkness of the tree line(s) on far bluff tops, as well as the darker part of the nearer ridge, at the same height.  The darkness right in that small area takes away, I think, from the overall misty and light atmosphere.

My workflow really sucks.

LOL.. I think we all have our own habits that we haven't bothered to check out of yet and maybe should. ;-)  I was just going to mention that I rarely make selections for the exact reason you mention.  Well, I guess I don't count TK's Luminosity masks... but I think you know what I mean.  In my workflow (please note, does not mean mine is any good, correct, or whatever, so take with grain of salt,) I typically make adjustments on an adjustment layer, whether it's hue/sat, levels/curves, selective color, b&w, etc. etc. - and make the adjustment I want to take care of a specific area. Then I simply mask the changes in or out and then paint them in/out with a soft brush and vary the opacity as needed.  Anyway, I like painting rather than hard selections as I feel at least a tiny bit more creative.  YMMV.

Love the image.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 01/04/18 at 10:03 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Beautiful seascape, Igor. Nice balance between moody/stormy and inviting. What I most like is the loneliness of the beach, which adds to the mood and gives this a sense of wildness.  

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/06/18 at 3:27 pm EST    

Lon, good catch on the trees up above. When I blew it up to 300% it showed the my adjustment selection had been sloppy and had included some of the trees. To be honest I know longer remember why I had dodged that cliff below but it caught the trees above. I corrected that to remove the abrupt tone variation in those trees.

I'm not sure which object others were referring to below. There's a tree stump and an overgrown rock. I took a guess and removed the stump.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/07/18 at 2:04 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful coastal scene, Igor. Love the subdued colors and mood of the image. Excellent image. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 01/08/18 at 03:25 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments
Comment last edited by Anil Rao on 01/08/18 at 03:29 am EST

Yep, this is what us "coasters" live for. A really powerful visual statement of my favorite place in the world. You have captured its essence in the most sincere and beautiful manner.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership