Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Draining the Swamp
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 12/31/17 at 6:46 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

The NH seacoast received a lot of spring rain and snow this year, resulting in a very high water table until early summer.  I was riding my bike along the coast in nearby Rye when I heard an unusually large rushing noise.  After investigating, I saw that the marsh that separated the coastal road from the ocean had created a torrent through a culvert under the road emptying into the sea.  The resulting cascades and rocks looked like it might have possibilities under different lighting, so I came back the next morning at sunrise.  I wedged a large piece of cardboard that I could mold when wet to the rocks to divert some of the flow that missed the main drop to increase the size of this portion of the rivulet.

810D, f16, ISO 64, 3 exposures focal stacked to retain detail in the seaweed which was a couple of inches away from the lens, a final exposure a bit darker for the brighter sky.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/01/18 at 02:02 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I like the perspective here very much. It's a bit like your previous image. The light on the rockweed is very gentle which shows off the texture nicely. It's a fairly unique composition in that moving water shot with slow SS is gradually merged with standing water. I would think that transition may be tricky.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/01/18 at 08:21 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

When I saw the title, I thought it was going to be a political image. sad  This is real nice. I find the lower right area a bit heavy, but no crops come to mind and as said, just a bit (not a image breaker at all). Real nice depth, flow and color. I like this!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/01/18 at 10:32 am EST    

Harley - Agreed a bit heavy on the lower right.  Not much I could do regarding my position to minimize it a bit, unless I crop to more of a 4 x 5 format and loose some of the big rock as well on the right.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/01/18 at 12:58 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

Ha, Ha! Draining the swamp - and quite literally.  sad  Agree the LR is a bit dominant, but also agree with Igor about the soft light - and so on balance I think there isn't much to change here to improve anything.  In fact, one of the appealing things about this image is the "v" that is created.  A lead-in for sure, but not a line or a curve, but the eye most certainly is getting drawn in to the scene and it works beautifully.

Subtle, but I'm really enjoying how the colors are being picked up in the water at the very bottom where the flow enters the frame.  Oh, and great job doing a little diverting of the water.  I've been known to splash water on dry rocks, but can't say I've ever diverted water flow. I'll have to keep that in the back pocket.  ;-)

The large view really opens up with nice depth as well.  No nits or suggestions. Beautifully done.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 01/01/18 at 1:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

There is a lot going on in your image, and what is most interesting to me is the transition of flow from the dynamic foreground cascade to the quiet open sea  in the depth. The details of the plants that are just hit by the first sunrays add a lot in my opinion.

Looking at this scene makes me wonder how it looked like a few moments before sunrise - totally different of course, but maybe amazing too.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Hansen on 01/01/18 at 4:43 pm EST    
Registered on 05/05/11, 161 Posts, 908 Comments

I love the dynamic foreground water flow as it contrasts with the relatively calm water beyond the rocks and the very serene look and feel of the clouds and setting sun.  Beautiful image.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Hansen Gallery of Jim Hansen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/02/18 at 08:28 am EST    

Peter - Had there been more clouds  above me, some of the cloud color might have reflected to the water areas, but not much interest in those areas. I needed  the diffused color after the sun had risen to create the colorful water and wet rock highlights.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership