Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Morning in Leidig
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 12/30/17 at 4:59 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Greetings folks and an early Happy New Year's wish!

Still in Yosemite... this is now finally the morning of the second day of our trip back in early November.  Been a bit busy with home remodeling projects, the holidays, family, etc., and have been able to spend as much time here recently.  I've still qot a few more to show from this visit to Yosemite.

And what would a trip to Yosemite be without an image of meadow grasses!  Yeah, bark, trees, reflections... and one of my favorite and most challenging subjects are the meadow grasses.

So I'll be very curious to see if this resonates with anyone.  Not sure if there's a main subject here and honestly not sure how much I like this one.  I've put this one through the processing mill a bit and hope that this still comes across as natural.

Thanks as always for any comments, critiques and suggestions. 

Oh, this is a 5-image focus stack for depth. Nikon 28-300mm at f/11 and 58mm for each.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/30/17 at 6:18 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I like this very much. The curves of the grasses in the foreground, along with the hints of green are very nice. I like how the taller, frosted plants border the lower part of the image. No nits here. Nicely done, Lon.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/31/17 at 06:34 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I am liking this one, Lon. Nice layering of textures, shapes and tones giving it a coherent flow and good detail. No suggestions here. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 12/31/17 at 4:00 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Lon, this image is all about delicate textures and a certain kind of flow that I really appreciate. Compositions like this do not need something like a main subject to come to life in my opinion.

Usually I do not pay much attention to technical notes. But reading about the five image stack I asked myself whether a single shot might not have worked as well. A very slight blurredness in the depth would actually fit in with the character of the image I think. Sometimes a certain degree of imperfection can add to the story a picture is telling me, as we know from times of analog photography.

Thanks for sharing this subtle intimate scene.

A Happy New Year!

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/31/17 at 5:29 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

We have tidal salt flats our way that look much like this - flowing women's hair is what comes to mind.  These remind me of rolling waves of surf.  Like the subtle cyans int he frost separated by the warm greens.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/31/17 at 7:27 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This has a natural flow from right to left with repetitive forms. I think it's that pattern that gives this structure which keeps it from being busy looking. There is an airiness about this image. You could drop the contrast still further and add brightness for a different look?

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/01/18 at 1:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thanks for the comments folks!

Peter - thanks for your comment and observation about the focus stack.  You raise an interesting and valid point.  You are right, there is nothing that says an image has to be sharp front to back. And the use of DOF and selective focus give us that creative choice.  I can say for me, at least with many images and the reason for focus stacking comes from my years of using the large format camera that allowed for the tilt, shift, swing of the lens and film planes to increase the depth of field and detail front to back, side to side etc.  I guess I'm programed that way.  But I do agree and think your point is a valid one.  And that's one of the beauties of photography - we have these creative choices.

Igor - thanks for your comments as well and processing suggestions.  Actually, your suggestion is much like the unprocessed file! (except for the regular adjustments I make in RAW.)  I toiled over the processing here and at some point I just cut my losses and needed to step away. Lots of directions to take this. Thanks for the feedback.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership