Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Gulf Hagas & RePost
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 12/28/17 at 08:55 am EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Harry Lichtman on 01/01/18 at 4:31 pm EST

I spent some time in August this past summer exploring an area I have never been to, Gulf Hagas.  Located in central Maine, the gorge is pretty isolated, the nearest town being Greenville.  This slate lined gorge is 3 miles long with walls up to 130 feet high and a hiking trail running along the rim, near the AT.  With lots of ups and downs and ins and outs along the rim, hiking the 3 miles can take a while.  Access to the water is possible in many areas, just no trails so great care needs to be taken - if something goes wrong, no one may find you. There are hundreds of smaller cascades and several larger falls which have been designated and given names.  Some of the larger fall are attractive photographically, but I liked the spot lighting that just happened to be hitting this small section of the much larger Screw Auger Falls.  I have a vertical with a lightly different perspective, but I liked the flow of water through the image in this one.  Maybe would have liked a little more on the bottom, but my feet were there and not much wiggle room to compose otherwise.

Nikon 810D, 16-35mm @ 16mm, ISO 31, 0.7 sec., f16, polarizing filter  I used a second exposure at 1/10 sec. and blended in a couple of spots in the water to retain detail / texture that was lost with the longer base .7 sec. exposure.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 12/28/17 at 9:18 pm EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Harry,

A very nice image and the dark shadows help frame the shot.  The isolated patch of gravel slightly above the middle on the LH side tends to pull my eye.  Other than that, a very interesting scene well worth examining as the large version..................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/29/17 at 12:03 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Real nice shapes created by the combo of light and elements. I might burn the top to keep more in the center of the frame, but no other suggestions. This really needs to be viewed large. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/30/17 at 12:44 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

My first thought was, when did Harry go back to shooting film? And Velvia? angel enlightened  The large view opens up a little better, the dark areas lack detail and in general I think the contrast is pretty high.  The dark area on the left does provide some mystery here, but for me throws this off balance a bit.

The highlight for me here are the falls and the viewpoint/perspective with the water cascading over the edge; the flow is great and good job dealing with hot spots and texture in the water.

I know I wasn't there, but as presented this just looks like a most difficult lighting and dynamic range challenge.

Better quit while I'm behind.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/30/17 at 6:40 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Yep, large view is the ticket. I agree with Harley's suggestion regarding a a burn. The water is wonderful, and you did a good job with the challenging lighting.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/01/18 at 3:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Not that many comments on this one. That's too bad because this is a bit different. The large version opens up the shadows on the right. I would open up the shadows on the left to better lure the viewer to the mystery you have in mind. Yet not so much that the mystery is revealed. There are a few hot spots that could be burned in. The whole idea of this sparkling brook dropping off into the dark unknown is a good one imo.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/01/18 at 4:20 pm EST    

Yes Igor, the left seems to be a bit darker in the smaller view than the larger.  I'll post the vertical version of this view and be sure to make sure the shadows not too dark.  Had the ability to open more, but as you said, wanted to keep the mystery.  Thanks!

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/01/18 at 4:30 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Harry Lichtman on 01/01/18 at 4:32 pm EST

Click image for large version which shows the shads much better. For the repost, I have opened the left shadows a little and burned down the top edge a little.  Thanks folks.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 01/02/18 at 5:56 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

This is marvelous, Harry.  Definitely needs to be seen large to be fully appreciated.  So much detail and a great variety of colors and textures.  The report seems to handle the shadows a bit better.  

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership