Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Day's End
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 12/23/17 at 3:06 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thanks for your comments and observations on my last post.  It was more well received than I thought it might be - so thanks, much appreciated.

Still on this Yosemite trip from early November with Kyle and Harley.  It was nearing the end of our first day and it was also the first day after the clocks moved back an hour, so sunset came early.  We headed over to Cook's meadow thinking there might be some nice light and drama around Half Dome.  Well, that fizzled but we did get some color overhead and so I grabbed this silhouetted black oak.  

Thanks for any comments.

Lon

And a Merry Christmas to everyone at NPN!  Hope your holidays are wonderful and safe!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/23/17 at 3:55 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

I have some trees right near my drive way that I have been waiting to get this type of image.  The orientation of the tree coming from the side instead of of from below is a little unconventional but I'm OK with that.  Wonderful colors decorate the sky around it.  Like the simplicity.  Happy Holidays to you as well, and thank you for another great year of thoughtful and helpful critiques.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/23/17 at 6:31 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This works quite well. I wondered what you were doing over there. I got one from the medow I might post (shot while the guitar player was serenading away, weird times in Yosemite). No nits here, good showcase for a colorful sky. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 12/24/17 at 08:51 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 12/24/17 at 08:53 am EST

Lon, always good to find images that work well that are not site identifiable such as this image. Although as mentioned located in YNP this could be anywhere in the world......laugh
The pastel colors make for an excellent backdrop and silhouette outline to the tree branch. The placement of the branch also makes the scene work......cool
Only change for me is a really nit pick, but at the same time an easy change. It must be my half-ass gardening neatness maybe more then a photog item. But at the right edge at the bottom area there is just a small stem sticking in the from the border. Not sure why, but that was an immediate eye draw for me.....sad
btw: have a great holiday too......devil

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/24/17 at 12:45 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Certainly a different take on a Yosemite oak. I like pastel sky and the spidery branches. The cyan in the sky looks a little heavy--I would expect it to be a tad more blue. I also see the branch bit to which Paul refers. Nice image of a quiet Yosemite sunset.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/25/17 at 4:16 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I really like this, Lon.  If Paul had not pointed out the twig I probably would not have noticed it.  That’s the only improvement that I can see.  Merry Christmas,  BTW, did you get my email?

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/25/17 at 8:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thanks for the comments guys.  

Good catch Paul on that little intruding stick.  I should practice what I preach... border patrol!

Gary,  NO, I did not get your email.  I recently cleared out the spam folder and perhaps an NPN contact email was in there.  I'm sending you one back if you want to resend.

Thanks again!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 12/26/17 at 12:54 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Comment last edited by Mark Seaver on 12/26/17 at 12:57 pm EST

Lon, a lovely, gentle end-of-the-day view.  I could hanging this one for an immediate calming effect every time I looked at it.

Hope your Christmas was good and your New Year's is even better.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership