Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Sieur de Monts + repost
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 12/20/17 at 10:11 pm EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments
Post last edited by Ed Lowe on 12/21/17 at 9:49 pm EST

Nikon D800
Nikon 17-35 @ 30mm
f 20 @ 1/30 sec.
ISO 800
cable release & tripod
Acadia NP, ME

Here is another image in my continuing series of places less traveled in Acadia. The parking area for Sieur de Monts usually gets full, but most folks are heading to the Wild Gardens of Acadia. If you want to get away from the crowds just take a hike down Jessup Path which takes you through a lovely birch grove nestled among the assorted hardwoods and  evergreens. I always struggle with these woodland scenes, but I think I came close to capturing an image I have had in my mind for the last couple of years. I would have liked a few more birch, but there is always next year. cool 

I have posted a B&W version which I also like so I would appreciate your thoughts if you prefer one over the other.

I hope everyone has a joyous and safe holiday.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/20/17 at 10:12 pm EST    

Here is the B&W version.

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 12/20/17 at 10:41 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Ed, the B&W works well, but I love the lush green warmth. The grassy blanket really carries my eye through the scene. Excellent comp and techs.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/20/17 at 10:46 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Oh, I really like this image, Ed. I'm responding to this emotionally which is a sure sign that this is reaching me. Perhaps it's because I saw the colored one first, but the b&w doesn't elicit the same response. The comp almost invites you to step in and walk through that grass. So many memories. As a youngster joyfully running through it. Then later picnicking. Still later slowly foraging for mushrooms. An image with a high emotional quotient value. Even the presence of that white birch can be overlooked (it would be better without it). Yes, good landscapes take time to develop as they work their way out from within. Everyone is trying to hit a home run. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paula LeVay on 12/20/17 at 11:08 pm EST    
Registered on 07/29/16, 66 Posts, 270 Comments

Ed, I feel like I am standing in tall grass ready to explore the woodlands when I look at your image.  I especially like the soft green tones and the grouping of mushrooms growing on tree trunks located on the right side.  If it were my photo, I would consider cloning out the small white aspen branch on the upper left edge.   Although I really like both the color and the B&W version, it think the B&W brings out more interesting detail in the tall grass.

Paula Levay
Beach City, Texas
http://www.storiedpixels.com

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paula LeVay Gallery of Paula LeVay

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 12/20/17 at 11:33 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

THe B & W is astonishing, just frozen movement in an almost violent fashion...
The color has a tranquil feel, completely different.
I think the color version could get a cooler cast.
Either version excellent.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 12/21/17 at 05:31 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

I do like the colour definitely over the monochrome because I love those shades of green and yellow. The gentle nests of grass make this a really sweet image to look at.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/21/17 at 07:43 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

The image feels overly yellow maybe the reflected light of the grasses?  I prefer the color and the mood it creates, but the BW is very nice as well.  Both lack a little contrast, but I think that helps sets the softer mood.  The way the grasses on the right are resting looks like an imaginary trail for the eye to follow.  Like the splash of color emerging.  While at first I thought the large grassy area was too big, I know see it as an invitation into the scene.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 12/21/17 at 09:41 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Wonderful post Ed.  I vastly prefer the color version because I feel it represents the scene perfectly and has so much more life to it.  I absolutely love the abundance of grass and the graceful trees. These can be difficult images to compose and I feel you did an excellent job with this.  I do have two minor critiques and/or suggestions.  There is a brighter spot at top center where a little light is trying to squeeze into the scene.  I would clone that out. That's very minor but it does really attract my eye for whatever reason.  My other suggestion would be to increase contrast slightly in order to make the scene "pop" a little more; it appears a wee bit flat as presented, at least on my monitor. 

Excellent photography!!
devil

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/21/17 at 1:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

The color version gets my vote, Ed. The lush greens and textures of the grass is really inviting. The grouping of the trees in a semi-circle holds the composition together nicely. Well done!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 12/21/17 at 9:24 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Normally I might lean bw but the color is more 3d in this case.  Lovely soft scene here.  Very cool

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/21/17 at 9:49 pm EST    

Thanks for your thoughts everyone; always appreciated. Here is a repost addressing your suggestions of a little more contrast, cloning out the intruding birch limb towards the ULC and cloning out the bit of sky toward the center top of the image. Those little subtle changes do help the scene.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/21/17 at 10:06 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I may be in the minority but I prefer the original contrast. I liked the lighter treatment of the scene even though the textures aren't as pronounced. Both color versions are fine, however, because the contrast adjustment is small.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 12/22/17 at 07:02 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

This is very nice, Ed. I hope prefer the softer original, but my opinion is affecting by my viewing this on my contrasty monitor.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/22/17 at 08:29 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Ed you have done a nice job with the repost, I prefer it to the original. The grass here is so beautiful, and you have done a great job of emphasizing it in this composition. The waves of grass receding to the birches really draws you into the landscape. And i think the slightly warm processing is perfect for this subject.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/22/17 at 11:22 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Ed,

A wonderful forest scene. I love the grass (go figure) and the spaciousness of the forest is just right.  Honestly, I like the airiness of the original - perhaps a compromise in between the two? Or maybe even a little Orton glow might be a nice touch.  Not sure what you did to increase the contrast of the repost, but Orton will do that as well.

As presented, I prefer the color version as well.  However, I think there is great potential in going b&w.  I think it might be worth further developing.  I see a bit of a silvery tone in this version and think you could take that even further.  Unfortunately, my b&w skills are relegated tweaking sliders in Nik's plugin.

Lovely and fresh scene - beautiful.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/22/17 at 1:03 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I like the reposted color version best, Ed.  I think the added pop brings out the myriad of detail through out.  Beautifully done.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/22/17 at 1:29 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Repost works for me. I also like the B&W, but the color wins by a nose. Beautifully done!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/23/17 at 09:10 am EST    

Thanks for your feedback everyone; always appreciated.

Ed

Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 12/23/17 at 1:31 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Ed, the repost works best for me. I guess we get spoiled as there can be so many versions played out with the PS usage and our own skills, which is a wonderful thing......love this scene.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 12/25/17 at 10:24 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Having been to this area numerous times with you, I can attest to the fact of how difficult it is to find a pleasing compostion without a lot of distracting elements. I love the inviting grasses, they almost seem to be blowing in the wind. Nice placement of the trees within the frame. It's hard to notice, but I also like how you placed the tree on the right to block out the darker tree behind it.devil

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership