Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Tree Top Garden
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Photo Art gallery on 12/19/17 at 1:27 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

I applied a similar Orton effect to this shot of a blooming rhodi in the Redwoods from this past spring.  I figured the fog and inherent glow of the pink flowers using a daylight WB would further enhance the mood.  This is a subtle representation, I could have gone much further with the effect but was hesitant to make it look too garish.  Wondering if I should go more or less with it?

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Gavin on 12/19/17 at 2:37 pm EST    
Registered on 08/14/08, 293 Posts, 1250 Comments

On my monitor it is just right. If more applied might be a bit garish. An iconic image for the Northwest if those were cedars. Very beautiful.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Gavin Gallery of Jim Gavin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Allen Brooks on 12/19/17 at 11:25 pm EST    
Registered on 07/27/11, 262 Posts, 2597 Comments

A beautiful photo.  I like how the rhody pops against the trees and fog. Iconic, yes, but a shot I've looked for for many years without luck.  This is very nice.

Allen Brooks
Oregon

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Allen Brooks Gallery of Allen Brooks

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 12/20/17 at 5:46 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

I think your treatment is really nice Harry.  The luminous colors of the leaves and the pink blossoms, and the soft mood of the foggy redwoods are excellent.  I think this could benefit from more redwoods on top for overall balance.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 12/25/17 at 2:54 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

If I went either way, I think I'd go for a tiny bit less, Harry.  While I love the glow of the blossoms, the extreme brightness of the Rhody leaves just doesn't seem to fit.  The brighter ones in the lower right corner look just about perfect to my eye.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/25/17 at 4:04 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Thanks Dennis - What you see is the relative brightness of the leaves - brighter higher up, darker nearer the ground. The Orton was applied uniformly,  so the brightness was related to the original.  Maybe less of the effect overall would help.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/25/17 at 6:06 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Looks perfect to me, Harry. This has a wonderful glow that I find very appealing and the light fog only adds to the mood.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 01/01/18 at 10:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

The colors really pop with this one and lends it an other worldly feeling, but nicely so. The comp is lovey with the two big redwoods on either side and one in the background. I wouldn't go more with the Orton effect, perhaps try less, but this is very nice as is.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership