Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

The Ice Box & Crop
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 12/19/17 at 12:26 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Harry Lichtman on 12/19/17 at 2:23 pm EST

I wanted to capture NH's most impressive gorge in the winter, so I visited last week during a nice dump of snow - hoping it would create the pristine conditions i was after.  In the summer, the place is a madhouse of visitors and not that interesting to me unless it is raining - which drives off the bus loads of people and you could have the place to yourself to explore.  A boardwalk is installed during the summer for access, then removed in the fall to prevent it from being destroyed by the ice and water that flow through it in the spring.  The boardwalk makes getting wide angle images difficult with including the boardwalk, so visiting while it is not  in place is more to my liking.  Removing it may be also be part of the park's strategy to limit access in the winter as it can be a dangerous place with overhanging icicles several feet long.  I may have arrived a little to late, as mush of the water flow had already been covered by ice but there was a nice fresh coating of snow on everything which I may not have had had I gone a couple days earlier.  I didn't have all of the right safety gear with me on this trip, but when I returned 2 days later even less of the water was visible and the nic dusting of snow was gone. 

I would consider this a box canyon, as the far end which is well out of view ends somewhat abruptly as Flume Brook drops over Avalanche Falls to enter the gorge.

810D, 16-35mm, ISO 100, .5 sec., polarizing filter

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/19/17 at 1:46 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I like the upper half of the image considerably more than the lower half. I would try a crop that removes the snow bank on the right. Although the water at the bottom of the image looks really good. It's just that that white snow bank is so overwhelming. A crop to show the upper half could be good.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/19/17 at 2:21 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Thanks Igor, I see that it is a huge part of the image.  I've made a crop that lessons ist and keeps it more in balance with the left without totally eliminating the cascade.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 12/19/17 at 2:39 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

The cropped version makes a nice image even better IMO. I'm glad you left the cascade.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/19/17 at 4:36 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

You nailed it with the repost, Harry. That small crop places even more of an emphasis on all the pristine beauty of the gorge. I also like that you were able to retain detail and texture in the dusting of snow. I was only there one time in the summer and this makes me want to go back.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/19/17 at 11:16 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

The crop's the ticket Harry.  Igor as usual was spot on.  Looks like an awesome place to explore with some waders and aluminum cleats on your boots.  Really well done.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 12/20/17 at 10:32 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

I wasn't aware that they take the boardwalk out for the winter, although it makes sense. It's such a beautiful place that's really, really hard to make a photo of because of the boardwalk and thousands of people. I'll have to get back there in the winter sometime.

I think the crop is a big improvement, that LRC snowy area was too big in the original. A great winter scene, well done!

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/20/17 at 10:37 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Just a gorgeous image Harry, a really unique view of this location. You caught it with just the right amount of snow and ice, the fresh snowfall makes all the difference. I agree with Igor that a crop from the bottom helps, but I really like all the texture in the snow in the LRC. Maybe consider another crop that is halfway between the original and the repost, it would retain more of that interesting detail in the snow.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/20/17 at 12:26 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

The cropped version works for me, Harry. I am glad you retained the cascade. The processing looks great. I love the ice curtains.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 12/21/17 at 05:21 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Terrific winter scene with the crop striking a very nice balance with all the interesting elements.  The flowing water is such an important part of this.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/21/17 at 4:03 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

Great and seemingly appropriate title for this image.  I really like the cold, wintery look and feel combined with the geology of this little box canyon - Plus the stream running through it all.

I'm torn on the crop.  On the one hand, I like the additional texture and the room at the bottom for the water to flow out of... but then I do think the snow bank in the original throws the overall comp a little out of balance.  So ultimately, I think the crop is the better overall solution and better balanced over all.

Great colors and processing.  A wonderful scene and image.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership