Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Crimson Coast
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 12/18/17 at 08:57 am EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

While in northern CA this past spring photographing the redwoods, I stayed for a short time in Crescent City.  I didn't realize was a beautiful coast this areas has with sea stacks and a rocky coast line.  I saw some potential one afternoon in the clouds that had formed off the coast with a thin break in the horizon.  As sunset approached I raced around the many beach areas north of Crescent City trying to find a suitable composition.  Not sure the name of this beach, but it had a lot of the components I was after.  I'm sure there were better vantage points, but didn't have enough time to investigate, at least this year.  This is a single exposure, tried not to open up the shadows too much to keep the feel of the time and lighting.  Have considered a slight crop off the bottom to give the stacks and sky a little more emphasis but decided to show the full comp.

810D, 24 - 120mm @ 32mm, f16, .5 sec., ISO 31

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 12/18/17 at 3:51 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Gorgeous sunset on the coast. It feels very natural in color, despite the drama. The trees in the background add a nice touch. I like the full comp as is, but you might want to try a crop from the bottom, as you suggested. Don't know the name of this beach either, but it makes me want to find out!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 12/18/17 at 6:01 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

Beautiful light Harry. I like the composition as posted also. I really love the few trees silhouetted against that warm golden sky too.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Cordes on 12/18/17 at 8:12 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 451 Posts, 3366 Comments

I, too, like the comp as is. The wedge of rocks on the lower right leads my eye into the scene. Nice choice of Shutter Speed.

NPN 1106
Life is beautiful, but remember - A little mild insanity keeps us healthy!

Ed
Corning, NY

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Cordes Gallery of Ed Cordes

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 12/19/17 at 10:54 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Beautiful sunset photo, Harry. Nicely captured and processed. I think cropping more of the bottom would make this even better, but really fine as is depending on final size needs. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 12/19/17 at 2:10 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Harry, this is a beautiful scene. The sky and reflection are beautiful, and the almost-silhouetted rocks have just enough detail. The rocks are also beautifully spaced, which can often be very difficult to do.

I could see the crop off the bottom that you mention, but I would look at a slight crop off the top, to eliminate the bit of orange cloud right on the top edge, and also off the left because there is a rock just below center that is just barely touching the edge.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 12/19/17 at 2:15 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Terrific colors and SS works nicely with the waves.
It does appear that it needs a tiny bit of CW for my eyes.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 12/19/17 at 2:57 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Beautiful capture. I think I would leave this as presented. To me, a crop off the bottom would take away those nice little glowing puddles and make the FG a little too much "dark blobish". I know, really nice technical term, but it's the best descriptive I could think of.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/19/17 at 9:53 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I wouldn't change a thing, Harry.  Beautiful image.  I like the reflected color scattered among the rocks.   Very, very nice.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/19/17 at 10:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I agree with Gary - wouldn't change a thing. Moving the horizon further down would likely weaken the image.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/20/17 at 11:07 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Beautiful image with wonderful light, I wouldn't touch a thing on it. The number of interesting layers within this scene keeps your eye moving across the image, lots of interesting elements to look at. I think the horizon is fine where it is, but I really like the reflected color in the pools between the rocks in the LRC, there is no way I would like to see those cropped out of the image.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/20/17 at 7:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This just works, Harry! It is a beautiful scene, expertly rendered. No nits here.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/21/17 at 2:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

Fantastic light and color. What a gorgeous seascape.  This is a wall hanger for sure - at least 50".  cool

I'm gonna suggest a crop, but just for an alternate I'm seeing.  I think because of the long line of the clouds and the wave line, a slightly more pano look could be effective. Now in the larger view, the rock and bits of reflection in the LR quadrant work beautifully, but I think cropping up from the bottom for a more narrow presentation might work too.  Also, minor, but I would crop in slightly from the left (regardless of bottom crop) to remove the small gap on the left edge just a little down from the center line of the image. minor.

Regardless of whether or not you chose to tweak this, I love this and wish it were hanging on my wall.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership