Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Low Lying + repost
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 12/17/17 at 9:30 pm EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments
Post last edited by gary phillips on 12/17/17 at 11:25 pm EST

Another from a magical morning in Central Utah.  I promise only one or two more.  Sorry for my lack of participation lately, no real excuse, just life in general.   

iso 100, 70-200 @ 98mm, f/8, 1/40s

Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Way better large.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 12/17/17 at 10:45 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

I get on the large view and get mesmerized....
The small creeks and ridges in desert country have such dignity..
I think the top layer is a bit dark.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 12/17/17 at 11:01 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

Gary, this looks like the skin of a dragon with the smoky mist and the veins of erosion. I really love the  B&W treatment of this.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/17/17 at 11:23 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments
Comment last edited by gary phillips on 12/17/17 at 11:24 pm EST

Thanks Dan, I really didn't check my posting of this image.  The top is too dark.  Here's a repost. Click for larger view.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/18/17 at 12:36 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

A lot of your recent images have this out of this world science fiction look to them. My first reaction to this was the musical Brigadoon. It's a small Scottish town that appears out of the mists every hundred years and recedes back into the fog the next day. I like the repost but some of the mystery is gone. More has been revealed but this image is about revealing and also hiding. I prefer the original at this point.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/18/17 at 07:19 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

You managed a lot of variation in the compositions you made this morning. Processing looks great, the darker areas create a nice boundary for the image.  Might tone down the small bright part of the river at the bottom, especially since it is rght on the boarder of the image.  Magical. 

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 12/18/17 at 9:15 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Looks like this was shot from 20,000 up in the air, Gary. Very airy. I prefer the repost. Fine image of a unique scene. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 12/19/17 at 3:07 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Great shot. I love how there's really no sense of scale here. Makes it that much more interesting.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/19/17 at 9:07 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is truly magical, Gary. You certainly hit the jackpot that morning with the amount of keepers you were able to get. FWIW I prefer the original post because those slightly darker tones compliment the moody mysterious feel to this desert landscape. I also like the lack of scale here along with all of the beautiful tones and textures. My only suggestion; and this is being super picky; would be to tone down or clone out the bright spot about 1/4 of the way from the left bottom edge as it catches my eye. Anyway this is awesome.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/20/17 at 7:44 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

FWIW I prefer the original post because those slightly darker tones compliment the moody mysterious feel to this desert landscape.

I agree. That dark area puts one's eye on the nice tones a textures below. Tha low-lying cloud is wonderful.
--P 

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 12/21/17 at 05:07 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Here's another vote for the original version. I'm also loving the alien landscape vibe with that reptilian looking textures to the land.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/21/17 at 2:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Gary,

Just another ho-humm magical image from Utah.  I just don't know if I can handle any more of these.  sad  Of course I'm being sarcastic.  Another fantasmic landscape.  Love the balance between the ground fog and the landscape. As already mentioned, great mystery here.

For me, I like the adjustment to the top of the frame in the repost.  Now you didn't mention specifically, but I think I am seeing that slight lightening of the darks, globally in the repost?  If so, for me I would paint out the adjustment in all but that top ridge. I like the slightly heavier contrast of the original, with a slight lightening of the top.  then again, if that's what you did already, then my eyes are playing tricks on me and I'm imagining things.

Wonderful imagery and contrary to the above ribbing, I hope you keep posting more from here - if you could possibly even have more!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 12/21/17 at 10:06 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Holy crap that is some special conditions.  Crazy cool.

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/23/17 at 09:25 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Another beauty from that amazing morning! I prefer the original post, but the repost works. Agree with Lon's suggestion about painting out the lower part of a global adjustment. Great stuff, my friend, great stuff. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership