Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Beauty only skin deep
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 12/16/17 at 3:16 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Lon Overacker on 12/16/17 at 9:31 pm EST

Greetings and thank you so much for the comments on my previous image.  The answer to the question is 4. There are two trunks on the left, the charred skeletal remains in the center and the last tree on the right.  I appreciate the comments.

This is the last of the tree trunk images from this same area of Yosemite Valley where my last few images were captured.

Not sure of the title, but kind of a reference to the red/orange that is revealed beyond the burned outer bark of this tree. I think it may be Incense Cedar, but not sure - certainly not Ponderosa.  I was initially attracted to the root-like patterns on this particular trunk; in some way hinting of cypress from the deep south, but clearly not.

I almost didn't process this one because the raw file was rather flat and not to exciting.  But pulling from  the Kuyper school of processing I discovered the nuances of color and tried to bring them out.  I hope this enhances and helps the image, and that I haven't gone overboard on this.  I don't recall observing all the color at the time, but still want to present with some sense of realism. I would love your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

oh, this is a 2-image focus stack.

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/16/17 at 3:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Cool shapes, lines, textures and colors. The colors look very realistic, so you are not quite in the Kuyper school yet. sad  No offense, Tony, if you are checking in. This turned out great. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/16/17 at 6:36 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This tells a great story. Yes, it is a cedar. I think your 'color mining' works really well. It's not over the top, but does bring out the subtle colors that are present in char. Nice textures and detail!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 12/16/17 at 8:49 pm EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Great job with the illusion of compressing the 4 elements into one. The slivers of more vivid orange really jump out of the more dull colours in a good way.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 12/17/17 at 02:49 am EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

I like the balance achieved from the "look" of the center folds of bark resting against each other. The highlights peeking out from underneath look like embers still burning. Processing looks great to me.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/17/17 at 09:07 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

One of your best bark images ever. There was a red one you did during the 4X5 days that was exceptional but that's about it. This is better than the charcoal images. An emotional abstract that has the tension of muscle fibers yet mystery about it.  The blues and  yellow lichens are the colors that I like here. The oranges are appropriately subdued. The flatter wood on the left feels different than the rest. Is that for the best? If you crop half of it's width and some from the top would that be an improvement? Can't say because all of the wood flakes would become larger and they look optimally sized for this frame. A very fine image.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/17/17 at 09:47 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Lon, this my favorite of your recent series of bark images. The textures are wonderful, but I also really like the green moss on the right hand side of the tree. I think that color accent is just as important as the orange strips on the left. The diagonal lines just pull your eye through the image. not everyone would have seen this image in the field, but it is a real gem.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/17/17 at 8:17 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Definitely not overdone to my eye, though maybe compared to the raw file it is.  Looks great, you've brought out a lot of nice detail and colors and it has a 3-D feel.  Almost like magma beneath cool lava.  Converging and diverging parts of the wood add another layer of interest.  Another fine macro-esque shot of your tree studies.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/17/17 at 10:27 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Maybe not quite Kuyperesque, but I like the colors alot.  Excellent image.  I love the ribbing of this old tree.  I collected quite a few stumps like this in my furniture building days.  Very nicely done, Lon.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/18/17 at 10:13 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is even better than your last one, Lon. The large view opens up to display the gorgeous details and textures of the char and I love the bands of red running through the bark as though the tree is still on fire from within. I do not know how you spot these gems, but I am glad that you do so you can share with the rest of us.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 12/18/17 at 8:14 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

I think you did a great job of pulling color out of a flat raw file, as you say. It has a lot of life, but doesn’t look unnatural. My first impression when viewing it was that most of the folds in the bark are to the center and right of the image, and I wonder about a crop off the left to center them more. But as Igor says, I don't know if that would be better. It is very nice as is.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership