Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Pigeon Pt Lighthouse
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the POP Photos gallery on 12/16/17 at 3:03 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

After shooting this lighthouse from numerous sides I decided that this was my favorite composition. There was little color that day so I decided to convert it to b&w. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 12/17/17 at 09:44 am EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Igor,

I like the path bordered with the fence that leads the eye through the comp.  I can see why you placed the top of the lighthouse up tight against the frame Well done........................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 12/20/17 at 11:56 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 12/20/17 at 11:57 am EST

Hey Igor, the B&W treatment was perfect here with the lack luster weather or overall sky that day. I do like the walkway and picket fence leading our eyes toward the main subject too.

Was there a bit more room to the right here to include the entire RH middle ground building as well as a bit more of the lead in on the RH walkway up front there? Only other item for thought is the keystone effect on the tall light tower itself. Not sure if any of that could be readjusted for in PS Lens Correction feature. I've not used that feature in a long time now. One of the pluses of using LF for an item like this is the tilts available. Regardless, I really like all lighthouse scenes like this one.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 12/21/17 at 12:47 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

I really like this one Igor. The fence leads you right into the lighthouse. Good work in B & W.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/23/17 at 09:16 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I really like the mood. The black and white adds to the stormy, weathered feel. The comp feels a little tight to me on the right and top.  I would concur with Paul on doing a perspective fix. It kind of looks like the lighthouse is falling backward. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/25/17 at 1:34 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I like the mood, here. I would like to see a bit more luminosity in the whites, otherwise, the contrast looks real nice. I agree with the others regarding the vertical convergence of the lighthouse. Not sure how easy it would be to correct. I am OK with the slight tightness on the right, but the top of lighthouse could use a little more breathing room. Nice image, Igor.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership