Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

An Old Tree +2rp
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 12/15/17 at 10:07 am EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 12/17/17 at 07:12 am EST

During my walks around Todd Lake I would always pass this tree which I liked. Finally I shot it with my iPhone intending to come back and do it with the big camera. Well, it looks like that may not happen so I'm posting the iPhone image. I was primarily interested in the form of the tree.

Please let me know what you think of this one.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/15/17 at 7:09 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

The tree has a nice shape, and wonderful tonality and texture. You might consider burning down some of the highlights in the background. This would definitely rate a return trip, Igor.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/15/17 at 7:13 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful lines and shapes in the tree. My thought before reading Preston's comment was the same. The background highlights are pulling me a bit away from the tree, which is the star here.  Works nice with the iPhone, worth a trip with the big camera if you can. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 12/16/17 at 1:49 pm EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

Some beautiful flowing lines and tones in the old trunk. I've got to think that shooting it RAW would provide ample opportunity to bring out  some of the  subtle tones of the wood and needles. I know my old Samsung III would not come close to producing an image of this quality. 

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 12/16/17 at 2:07 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Wonderful detail and well processed on this old hunk of lumber, Igor......I like it......laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/16/17 at 2:23 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Igor,

I just love these old, weathered trees.  Makes on think what they have seen and experience for so long. They make me want to get close, feel the texture of the worn old tree.... and also look for interesting shapes, textures and patterns, that I can photograph! :-)

You've captured that well for me, which triggers all those thoughts about why I love trees (mind you, trees usually don't move and they don't argue or talk back.)

I particularly like the short pine needles and the random little sticks around the base.  In fact, this could be cropped to square I think and still portray the same.

Would agree about the highlights in the back; just a little burning to keep the emphasis up front.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 12/17/17 at 03:09 am EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Love this as presented but think I would love it even more with a crop from the top to focus more on the bottom. To me that's where all the great looking stuff is.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/17/17 at 07:05 am EST    

Square crop as suggested:

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/17/17 at 07:09 am EST    

I did a 2 pass sharpening on the original. The second pass on just the tree.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/17/17 at 6:35 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

The repost nailed it for me as it places all the emphasis on the sweet stuff like the weathered look of the tree and the scattering of the pine needles around the base. I think Lon said it very well. Nicely done, Igor.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 12/17/17 at 8:44 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

The last repost best for me.
I would erase the tree on the left side.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 12/20/17 at 11:14 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Splendid Igor.  For my tastes, the original composition is best, by far.  The sharpening on the last repost looks slightly over sharpened on my monitor.  Somewhere between the original and the last repost would be perfect.  As for the tree on the left, IMHO opinion it actually helps the scene instead of hurts. It's an extra element that fits well but muted enough as to not distract the eye.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/20/17 at 2:29 pm EST    

Thank you for your comments. To be honest I was surprised by the suggestion to crop the tree in half. The image to my mind was about as much about the flowing lines of the tree from top to bottom as anything else. It was the best feature of the image imo. But I made the crop to see what the reaction would be. In general, I would say that people are less enthusiastic with smart phone images. That's not surprising since they are inherently technically weaker.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership