Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Bass Harbor Marsh + repost
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 12/14/17 at 10:34 pm EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments
Post last edited by Ed Lowe on 12/16/17 at 1:35 pm EST

Nikon D800
Nikon 17-35 @ 32 mm
f 16 @ 1.3 sec.
ISO 200
cable release & tripod
Acadia NP, ME

This is a continuation of images that I am posting of some less heavily visited areas in Acadia NP. The marsh is on the way to Bass Harbor Light which Mike and I have stayed away from the last couple of years because it is a madhouse at sunset. If you want a spot you you have to arrive a couple of hours early to snag one.

Anyway, if you get the right conditions at sunset you can catch some lovely warm color in the sky along with some wonderful reflections in the water. If you shoot from the bank along the bridge you have to be aware of the traffic as a few of thee locals do not slow down.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 12/14/17 at 11:12 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

This is really nice, not suer how to critique except maybe a bit too much negative space on the right...
Colors are muted and lovely. Comp with curve is excellent.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/15/17 at 07:19 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

I noticed this view as well, and you cought some nice light there. I could see opening up the shadows slightly. Well done

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 12/15/17 at 3:37 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Ed, I remember driving over the bridge, but it certainly did not look like this! I love the colors and the zig-zag of the marsh leading back into the image. I also like the inclusion of the dark cloud in the reflection, but not in the sky.

There is a small piece of grass sticking up into the bottom of the frame near the marsh edge that I would clone, and a dust spot just above the treeline left of the far right background mountain.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/15/17 at 7:14 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Lovely curve of the stream and a great reflection in it. Not sure about the darker mass on the right. I love the color, and that sky is great!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/15/17 at 7:53 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Nice composition and beautiful colors. I would open up the shadows a tad, especially on the right where I might increase contrast as well.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/16/17 at 1:34 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Here is a repost with your suggestions. I opened up the shadows a little and added a little contrast; additionally I cloned out the dust spot and some grasses along the bottom edge. Not much I could do about cropping some of the marsh on the right as it would have cropped some of the zig zag of the water. I have another version that I will post next which does not have as much marsh on the right side.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/16/17 at 2:07 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Ed,  This captures the time of day, the moment in time beautifully.  I thought the light levels in the original were just fine, given that time of day - but your repost looks even better!

I can see what Dan means about the negative space on the right, but also agree with you that cropping wasn't an option; the curve of the river with the reflections and great color are wonderful.  And actually, the repost works much better in this regard.

Looking forward to more!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 12/16/17 at 3:16 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Ed, the repost works just fine for my taste. The overall sunset light is excellent and adds to the view of the meandering water line perfectly.......laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 12/17/17 at 03:17 am EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

This is great. The clouds reflecdted in the still waters of the marsh and the s curve draw me into the scene. My only suggestion would be to dodge in the grassy area on the right. Whoops, I see you've allready done that.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/17/17 at 10:37 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Ed, really nice work with this scene. I like the sense of balance created by the cloud reflection in the lower left, and the cloud/sky color in the upper right. The arrangement of those elements strongly reinforces the leading line of the water. My only nit here is that the the grass feels so dark as compared to the reflection in the water, even in the repost. My preference would be to dodge the grass a slight bit more, and maybe even add a slight bit of warmth in the grass, which would be realistic given th colors in the sky.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/17/17 at 11:49 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

The repost works very well, Ed.  I kinda wish there was more room on the right, as the bend of the river is pretty tight there.  Beautiful color and a wonderful image as presented.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 12/21/17 at 10:09 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

I hav a very similar shot from years ago in bw.  So yes, well seen ;) hehe

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership