Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

California Dreamin
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 12/14/17 at 6:29 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

California Dreamin on Such a  Winter's Day.  Those were my thoughts as I processed this image.  Taken this spring while visiting the redwoods of northern California.  I stayed in Trinidad which is near Prairie Creek St. Park, so I found myself exploring the beautiful coastline in this area.  After picking up some takeout dinner, my wife and I headed down the coast to find a place to eat our dinner.  This view was near the road, so it was a no brainer that this is where we would hand and eat dinner and watch the sun set.  I was always under the impression that the sun set way out over the sea on the west coast, but I guess not, depending where you were.  Fortunately the sun sank near th coastline to provide some nice back-lighting for the flowers and color in the ocean.  This was a colorful as things got, thought the sky might explode with color after the sun sunk below the horizon but it never happened. 

I focal stacked a couple of images to keep all of the Monkshood(I think) sharp.  A slightly darker exposure was used for the sky.  All of the Monkshood I've previously seen were an indigo blue in color, so maybe this isn't Monkshood?  I'll include a crop of the flowers in case anyone can ID as something else.  I do see some darker blue flowers that are not yet fully opened, but all of the mature flowers were an unexpected vibrant maroon.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/14/17 at 6:31 pm EST    

A tighter view of the near flowers.  The distant one are lupine.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/14/17 at 8:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Comment last edited by Igor Doncov on 12/14/17 at 8:29 pm EST

That's some sort of wild pea. I'm not sure exactly what they are but they're common around Big Sur and always that beautiful when in bloom. Later they form these iddy biddy pods with peas I've eaten. Lovely image. The fg is well processed.

Could be this: http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-calrecnum=4626

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 12/14/17 at 8:36 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Well composed near/far with gorgeous foreground. The flowers and foliage pop nicely and overall processing looks good. Only suggestion would be to dodge they hillsides in the upper right as they look too dark from the luminance of the foreground flowers. 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 12/14/17 at 11:17 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

The flowers are the star and very well done.
I think the lighting is appropriately a bit over the top,...

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Gavin on 12/15/17 at 12:47 am EST    
Registered on 08/14/08, 293 Posts, 1250 Comments

Sure looks like wild sweet pea vine. Comes in many colors. Found all over west sides of California, Oregon and Washington. Spreads rapidly.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Gavin Gallery of Jim Gavin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/15/17 at 10:09 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

What an awesome view for you and your wife to sit and enjoy your takeout dinner, Harry. You filled up the frame rather nicely with the FG flowers, the MG coastline, all topped off with that wonderful sky. My only suggestion; and this is being super picky; would be a very small crop from the bottom to get rid off the empty space that is just starting to creep into the LL and LR corners. Love the title BTW.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/15/17 at 7:22 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This is a wonderful seascape. The light is gorgeous, and you did a fine job with the blend. Nice spot for dinner.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/16/17 at 12:09 pm EST    

Dave - I didn't open up those hillside shadows more as they weren't exposed to the same backlighting that the flowers were.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/16/17 at 1:55 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

A beautiful and inviting coastal landscape. As someone has mentioned, a terrific near/far composition and clearly the flowers are the main story here - and quite beautiful. Sorry, can't help with the ID.

What I'm noticing might not be something others are observing, but it stands out to me.  Most coastal landscapes, especially from California depict the ocean views in a grand scale, a grand and scenic vista.  This does as well, but what's interesting to me is that the proportion or the scale of the ocean is actually the smallest main element in the scene; with the sky (great sunset btw,) taking up more space and then of course the flowers taking up the majority.  Not sure if that makes sense.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 12/16/17 at 2:18 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

This is a beautiful shot and has a nice story to go with it. I agree that it is a naturalized pea plant (not a native) and such a glorious color. Monkshood is indeed indigo blue and doesn't tend to grow on the coast, but in the mountains. The sky and light on the water is terrific as well.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/16/17 at 3:24 pm EST    

Lon, the set up reminded me of images I have seen of Calla lilys along the coast. I did get a more traditional close to the surf image up the coast, but felt this comp and lighting was a lot more unique with more layers ofvinterest.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership