Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Successful Failure
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 12/12/17 at 10:13 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

First, thanks so much for your comments on my previous image.  I personally really like it - yet it's so ordinary.  thanks for your comments and suggestions.

This image, and the next two, were captured in the same general area as the last four; previous images were closer to the river along the overflow sand bars.  But soon we headed back towards the car and made our way through a thicket of fallen trees, burned trees from previous years of controlled burns; many charred trees... for which Harley and I couldn't pass up.  Never met a hollowed out old burnt tree that I didn't like.

But I should probably explain the title.  We had this tree surrounded, poor tree.  It was hollowed out and the shell stretched around om a semi-circle.  I had plans of doing a focus stack and having both the front and back of this image sharp; I've done similar things and there's a neat optical illusion that gets created.  Well, the stack failed. Why? Because when I focused on the darker char in the back, the front side was so out of focus and blurred significantly that I could not blend the images. I even tried by hand and it got ugly.   It was to be a 4-image focus stack; 3 up front and 1 for the back. At a focal length of 190mm, f/14 wasn't enough depth.

Couldn't get it to work and so went with a regular shallow dof image with the darker background soft and oof.  I like what I ended up with, so I call this a successful failure.

Your thoughts, critiques and suggestion are always welcome!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 12/12/17 at 11:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Love the lines and textures here, and the B&W treatment.
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/13/17 at 07:22 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I am quite happy your focus stack failed. I love this one. The shallow dof works great. Processing looks spot-on. Excellent!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 12/13/17 at 08:58 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Lon, the sharp silvery charred stands out very well against the oof black char.  The enough texture in the oof area to make clear that this is the same stump, which is a good addition.  I'm particularly attracted to what looks like a scorched pine needle embedded in the side of the sharp section.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 12/13/17 at 10:26 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Lon, I really like the way this worked out with the interior way OOF. It puts all the emphasis on the left side. Had this worked out as a focus stack, I think it would have more of an optical illusion look, like those tree images you had posted a while back, where you don't know what's in front or behind. Those images are very interesting, but I really like this too.

I like the variations in the scale of the "squares" of char, and there is a very interesting shape to the edge of the trunk.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 12/13/17 at 11:19 am EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Lon,

Very 3D with lots of shadow and highlight depth.  The shallow DOF made a nice comp for this scene.  Well done..................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/13/17 at 11:57 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

The textures and subtle color are wonderful. At first I was a little bit on the fence with the out of focus area. While it does not dominate the image, it is still a significant portion of it. Now, this is just a thought, but you might consider a crop from the top to the top of that sloping bit of char, and a bit off the right side.

The processing is right on, and this is a well-crafted image!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 12/14/17 at 11:25 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Lon, interesting how neat this came out after reading your detailed outline here. I think we've all had some attempts at that "layered" look to a given scene. Most come out being acceptable but not all reach even that level either. This comes away with a very different appeal in the end. I'd say the overall dof works perfectly for this chosen subject. Very nice work......laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 12/14/17 at 12:41 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

I wish I had a "failure" this good. My failures are just that-failures.devil

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 12/14/17 at 4:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

This works extremely well as presented and I wouldn't call it a failure at all. I wish my "failures" looked half as good! I like the slight angle of the in focus portion, and the blurred background suggests the other side of the hollowed out log but doesn't give it as much definition. The texture and light on the front portion are wonderful. My favorite of these that you did was the colorful one some weeks ago, but this is a close second.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership