Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Wonderland # 2 + repost
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 12/11/17 at 11:20 am EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments
Post last edited by Ed Lowe on 12/11/17 at 9:45 pm EST

Nikon D800
Nikon 35-70 @ 70 mm
f 20 @ 1/50 sec.
ISO 800
cable release & tripod
Acadia NP, ME

Another image from Wonderland. I lowered the color temp on this one to 5000 k; up a little from the repost of my prior image where I lowered it to 4500 k.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/11/17 at 2:16 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Sweet colors. Love the red against the green. I could see trimming a little off the top, but works nicely as presented. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/11/17 at 2:33 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This looks significantly better than the previous one of same subject. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/11/17 at 3:08 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

great color, and nice sense of warmth without going overboard. I agree with Harley's crop suggestion.The soft light is really nice, Ed.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/11/17 at 4:16 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Ed,

Definitely like the comp here better and the processing is better as well - although my personal tasted might be to pop the reds a little more.  One thing I sometimes do and I think I learned this from Preston, is add a Levels or Curves layer to your stack in PS and change the blending mode to "soft light."  You don't make any adjustments, other than dropping the opacity way down like to 10% (to taste of course.)  Just one of a gazillion ways to add pop and contrast to an image.

Anyway, back to your image.  Before reading the comments I also was going to suggest a slight crop off the top - mainly to exclude the browns and also the white bare branches left of top center.  Minor suggestion.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the arrangement and mix of reds with the greens - and this view doesn't have that intruding element at the bottom.

Wonderful image.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/11/17 at 4:27 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Ed, I prefer this one over the last as well. Very nice. Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 12/11/17 at 8:43 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Superb, Ed. Those rich reds are set-off beautifully by the evergreens. Processing looks spot-on and framing works well as-is but I could also see experimenting with taking a small slice off the top.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/11/17 at 9:44 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Here is a repost with a little crop from the top as suggested by a few folks. Thanks for your input everyone.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/11/17 at 10:18 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

The repost is a subtle but good look to my eye. I find it tightens up the comp nicely. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 12/12/17 at 10:37 am EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

This is outstanding.devilComparing this to your previous post, I like this one better. The comp seems much more balanced to my eye. The other seemed a little left heavy on second viewing.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/13/17 at 05:11 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Ed, I like this version much better than the first one. I think you found a good white balance for processing these Wonderland images. I also think the prior image was not as strong  because you had a dark black tree trunk serving as a frame on the left side of the image, and it drew attention away from the rest of the scene.

That's not the case here, your composition has a very pleasing arrangement of pines within the scene, and it works very well, it's nicely balanced. Good job here....

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 12/13/17 at 09:18 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Red and Green, must be getting close to Christmas...enlightened  The colors and especially the touch of glow in the greens look great here, Ed.  It's a great mix of real and abstract.  Fascinating how the crop off the top seems to emphasize the greens even as the amount of green in the image is reduced.  I do think the crop is a nice improvement on an already fine image.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ken Henke on 12/20/17 at 12:38 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/12, 117 Posts, 285 Comments

Ed, Nice composition that for sure!  I might suggest a tab bit of curves or levels in the luminosity mode. I say that because the reds are popping quite nice and any additional levels or curves work in normal mode may oversaturate the reds. 
Cheers!

Ken Henke
Wellington, CO
http://www.henkeimagery.com

All Photos and Comments by Ken Henke

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership