Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Winter in the UP +Toned
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 12/10/17 at 5:06 pm EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Nick Bristol on 12/14/17 at 5:24 pm EST

This picture is one I made 3 or 4 years ago while on a winter trip in Upper Michigan. I was looking back for the original file so I could reprocess it for a print I want to make. Thought I would save a web version of it as well and post it here for any thoughts. I may have posted one back then or similar to it but I'm not quite sure, kind of seems like I did. Anyway this is a new version of that older image that I have ready for printing now. 
Canon 5D3 and 24-105L lens.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/10/17 at 6:27 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Wow! What incredible vision. This is really special. You had an excellent comp without the pines but the pines take it to another level. I bet this will be a good seller for you. I'm not sure if this is b&w but I would suggest trying to replace the blacks with very dark browns. It sort of looks that way to a degree. Just a fascinating composition.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/10/17 at 7:46 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Ship it, Nick! This is simply gorgeous. All of the elements work very well together. No nits, here! Very nicely done!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/11/17 at 12:25 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful winter scene!! Peaceful and cold!  Excellent stuff, Nick. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/11/17 at 1:54 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Fine image.  The comp and positioning of the trees makes them stand out well from the back ground.  Dark tones seem a little warm, might try adjusting the blacks with less yellow to see how that might affect the image.  Looks like a pencil etching in some ways, very nice.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 12/11/17 at 3:07 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

This is just a great image all the way around. I can see it very large on a wall. Very well seen and photographed. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/11/17 at 3:50 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Love this Nick! I love the arrangement of the trees - right down to the leaning/fallen trunks in the LR.  What I also find that works beautifully here is the somewhat elevated view. I don't think this would have as much impact if the viewpoint was closer to ground level. And just the perfect balance between the fallen snow and all the trees and branches.  Oh, the backdrop of snowy pines up top just really tops this one off.  Gorgeous image, no nits or suggestions. 

devil

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/11/17 at 7:13 pm EST    

Thanks guys for your thoughts and suggestions.
Igor and Harry, Thanks, I have versions pretty much just as you both mentioned but ended up liking this one best for a print. The full b&w version did not really work for me but I did like the version with the blacks more brown, but overall liked this one in between the two versions best.cool Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 12/11/17 at 8:51 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is lovely, Nick. Really fine job composing and making order out of a chaotic scene. I'm with Harry that the blacks look a bit warm - almost like a toned image to me. I think stronger blacks would make this sing. Great work. 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/11/17 at 10:14 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Flat out gorgeous work here, Nick. Lots of details and textures in the large version which my eye can wander around and savor. No suggestions from me other than print it and enjoy.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 12/12/17 at 10:59 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

I'm really enjoying this, Nick. I like the slight warm tone you have going on here, and the comp is just wonderful. I would love to see all the fine detail in this in a nice big print.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 12/12/17 at 11:00 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

Superb photo Nick. A quiet but strong depiction of winter in the wilderness. The composition offers so many wonderful elements that are all working together in harmony. Something that is not easy to pull off in such a complicated scene. 

Photographs such as this one have a lasting effect on the viewer. One can't help but relect on the image long after the actual viewing has been completed. 

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/13/17 at 05:33 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Nick this is a great image, and I'm sure it makes a very stunning print. I also like the warm tone in the scene, it really works well for this scene.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 12/13/17 at 09:28 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Nick, the starkness and the way that the shapes of the foreground trees are emphasized by the snow, makes this a very wintery scene.  Given the graphic detail, it's easy to see why someone would want a print.  I'm with Igor in thinking that sepia toning this would look good also.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 12/14/17 at 1:06 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Igor's thoughts echo mine, esp. about the browns. Well done.devil

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/14/17 at 5:22 pm EST    

Thanks so much to all of you for your thoughts and suggestions on this one. I have a version here with more of the brown tone if anyone is interested in seeing it. Again thanks! Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/14/17 at 6:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I like it but it's a matter of taste. You might want to dodge that middle pine near the top. I'm not sure.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 12/15/17 at 12:01 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Nick, there is a wonderful subtlety to your image for me. I enjoy the nicely balanced composition that leads me through the diverse layers, always keeping my attention within the frame.

Personally I prefer your first version. The comparison with the second one makes me think about a color version with moderately reduced saturation. But I am sure you presented the image after weighing up all the various alternatives. Thanks for sharing this wintry scene full of expression.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/15/17 at 12:35 pm EST    

Thanks Igor and Peter. 
Peter, The first image is the one I'm printing from but I did have 3 version from full b&w to the brown tones and the middle one of the 3 is what the first post here is and I like it best too. Thanks. Happy Holidays to you and your family. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership